Monitors Dual monitor setup: the old LCD doesn't like it!

s_anuj

Adept
Guys, have a major problem with my home theater/gaming setup. If you've faced a similar problem & managed to solve it, please share your remedies.

Background:

Well, i've been using a Samsung LCD TV as a monitor for about 4 years. Works like a charm for movies but too big for gaming & text. (Rig specs in siggy)

So, i got meself a 19" viewsonic monitor. The viewsonic would take up gaming etc & LCD will play movies, I thought.

Current situation:

The viewsonic is connected via DVI and runs at 1280x1024. The LCD is now wallmounted running (1360x768). So the Monitor is primary & TV is secondary in an extended desktop mode.

Because of the wallmount the LCD VGA cable fell short. So, i bought a VGA extension cable as well. So the TV cable is (DVI-VGA converter-> VGA extension cable 1.5m -> VGA cable 1.5m ->TV)

The problem:

The LCD TV is having ghosting when put in PC mode.(The monitor runs without a hitch)

What I've already tried:

- Considering i've run the LCD TV without problems for 4 years, my first suspect was the VGA extension cable. I tried the Cable with my laptop. In a clone mode the picture was fine but similar ghosting problem when run in desktop extension mode

- Second i tried switching cables on the DVI display ports on my video card. No good

- I tried cloning the display, Both look bad as it takes the lowest common resolution of the monitors i.e. 1280x768. Still Ghosting on the TV

Have you tried using the new monitor as the secondary display? And if you did, did the ghosting problem still appear?
Try playing a game, and see if the ghosting still persists. It's possible that the card may downclock too much to save power and in the bargain not have enough juice to run 2 displays when idle.
Try updating your drivers and see if that works.
If you're using windows 7, theres an option in the power settings to lower the pci-e bus frequency when idle to save power. Try disabling that, or disabling any power saving options and see if that solves the problem.

the LCD might be running at a higher refresh rate earlier and now in extended desktop mode the OS might be forcing equal and slowest common refresh rate to both the displays...

connect only the LCD TV and check the max refresh rate at its native resolution..compare it with refresh rate while connected in extended display mode.

if it is lowered then that might just be your matter of concern regarding this issue.

Back