Monitors Dual Monitor setup

aZZu

Disciple
i have a Asus m4a88t-m Motherboard with one D-sub , DVI and a HDMI out on it ..
i have a LG monitor already connected to D-sub port , well now i want to also connect my spare 15" zebby monitor via DVI ( it doesnt have HDMI so DVI is the best bet) ,
i've got a D-sub cable and Tried two Different DVI to D-sub Adapters but cudnt get The second monitor running ..
i've heard about digital to analogue signals etc (cudnt understand a thing abt it).. So what do i need to get my dual monitor setup up and running ..
which DVI to D-sub (VGA) adapter should i buy to make the setup work .. please help
and its a 24+1 DVI on my board

I don't think the iGP supports more than one output. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, does the Zebronics panel have any other port on it (apart from DVI), try powering it up with VGA and check whether the monitor itself is working OR not.

^ well the Asus website clearly states that Dual monitor supported ..
and yes monitor is working , no it only has VGA not even a DVI port on it...

^ well the Asus website clearly states that Dual monitor supported ..
and yes monitor is working , no it only has VGA not even a DVI port on it...

So just try to connect it with the VGA-OUT on the motherboard and see whether it functions then.

For DVI, I don't know why the adapter is not functioning but I think it is either that OR the DVI-OUT on the motherboard is dud. To rule this out, try to connect the primary monitor via the adapter system. Cheers!

So just try to connect it with the VGA-OUT on the motherboard and see whether it functions then.

For DVI, I don't know why the adapter is not functioning but I think it is either that OR the DVI-OUT on the motherboard is dud. To rule this out, try to connect the primary monitor via the adapter system. Cheers!
well yes second monitor is working , both the monitors r working fine..
well as u said i connected primary monitor via adapter and it doesnt seem to detect .. i tell from past experiences DVI on mobo is good .. the adapter is also good (as i have tested it on other systems ) but still all this in conjuction doest seem to work

i have read online about dvi - analogue and digital signals ... could that be a hindrance here ( well i dont have proper knowledge abt them )

i have read online about dvi - analogue and digital signals ... could that be a hindrance here ( well i dont have proper knowledge abt them )

I think the DVI-OUT on your motherboard is dual-link.

By the way once you connect the two, what comes up on the secondary screen? No Signal OR what signal?

well in Catalyst Control Centre there is no option for enable or disable but when i say detect displays i cant find anything other than my primary display ,,, and i guess this isnt the reason , coz well i just plug in a single monitor via adapter .. i still get no signal error .. is there any setting in BIOS which lets to switch between DVI and D-sub ?

AFAIK, using a DVI to VGA wont work if the DVI/HDMI on the mobo is digital out only. Not sure though, @ALPHA17 will have more info on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using dual monitor at the moment on my 880G onboard graphics (Radeon 4250). One monitor is connected via VGA and the other is connected via DVI ... no converters in between.

^ Thats what i wanted to ask , Asus website doesnt state anything about DVI weather it is digital or analogue on their website..
if it is as you said so , then what kind of adapter do i need to use ?

Wait I will just test what vivek.krishnan posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: My DVI to VGA adapter didn't even fit in the DVI port. My adapter has the layout shown below. Just near that flat thin pin (to the extreme left of the DVI pins) are two pins above and below it, but on my motherboard DVI slot (and yours too I guess) those two pin holes are absent so as to block the plug from going in. vivek.krishnan must be right, that DVI port must be digital only. I doubt whether HDMI>DVI>VGA will work either now.

http://www.right-products.com/E-Sales/DVI_Cables/DVI_to_VGA_Adapter_1.jpg

I'm guessing adapters won't work. You'll have to connect one of those monitors directly via DVI or not at all.

hey @RD274 thanks for checking out ..
the thing is you have tried an vga to dvi 24+5 adapter ..
what i have is 24+1 adapter , which is what we have on our boards ...
what do you mean by DVI port digital only ? i mean what is digital only intended for ?
well i have a primary monitor working fine via D-sub wanted to connect another via DVI to VGA adapter (as second monitor only has D-sub input) without the cost of an external Graphic card :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm then I don't see why your adapter still shouldn't produce results. Perhaps the adapter is faulty.

As far as I can tell, there are three types of DVI ports - DVI-i which is digital+analogue, DVI-d which is only digital and DVI-a which is only analogue. While most graphic cards have DVI-i's on them, unfortunately the DVI port on both of our motherboards seem to be DVI-d's which will only output to DVI monitors and so you will not be able to use adapters/converters to convert the signal to analogue for your Zebronics monitor.

Hmm then I don't see why your adapter still shouldn't produce results. Perhaps the adapter is faulty.
this is the fourth adapter iam trying

As far as I can tell, there are three types of DVI ports - DVI-i which is digital+analogue, DVI-d which is only digital and DVI-a which is only analogue. While most graphic cards have DVI-i's on them, unfortunately the DVI port on both of our motherboards seem to be DVI-d's which will only output to DVI monitors and so you will not be able to use adapters/converters to convert the signal to analogue for your Zebronics monitor.

that sums it up then :(

original

Yes, I'm positive now. Our motherboards have DVI-D styled ports. DVI-I or DVI-A is what would've worked I'm afraid, bad luck.

Back