Dubai calling : DIY trip :D

agantuk

Skilled
As title suggests, I am planning to do a DIY trip to Dubai sometime in February. While I can take care of the hotel booking and flights parts, I need to know where to go sight seeing, and what mode of transport would be preferred (public transport / cab etc.) Are there some kind of tourist services that one can take once there, or may be even book online if necessary? Is language a problem? In addition, any other tips are welcome :)

Really hoping to get some insights as a similar thread during my Singapore trip was immensely helpful. Thanks :)

While researching details, I was also stumped by the Visa requirements. It says that a return ticket through Emirates is mandatory. Is that an outdated site, or I am missing something?

Unless things have changes in the last 3-4 years, UAE is one of the few places that I think using a travel agent might be the best option (unless you have someone in the UAE you are visiting).

Visa for Dubai is a bit of a pain. The easiest way is if you have a sponsor in the UAE who takes responsibility for you. Otherwise, a travel agent will take care of the VISA + tickets for you.

The hotels and other things, you should be able to book for yourself. And from what I saw, public transport is not that great. Taxis might be your only option.

So what you suggest is that I book the flight and Visa through a travel operator and the rest of the stuff myself? I was in two minds about doing the same, after seeing the weird Visa rules, but it does look like what I would have to do. I just wonder if someone would be willing to do just the tickets and Visa for a reasonable margin, as also be reliable. I was reading stuff on the net about unpleasant behaviours on landing regarding 'OK to enter' stamps on Visa.

So what you suggest is that I book the flight and Visa through a travel operator and the rest of the stuff myself? I was in two minds about doing the same, after seeing the weird Visa rules, but it does look like what I would have to do. I just wonder if someone would be willing to do just the tickets and Visa for a reasonable margin, as also be reliable. I was reading stuff on the net about unpleasant behaviours on landing regarding 'OK to enter' stamps on Visa.

Get your tickets via Emirates , They will handle the Visa part

Edit - Just noticed , emirates is about 4k expensive compared to normal flight rates .

Actually, the reason I wanted to know is because Indigo has this sale on and a return ticket to Dubai ex Delhi costs 12,120. Can't get any lower than that. The next cheapest is right up there in the 24 Ks.

Actually, the reason I wanted to know is because Indigo has this sale on and a return ticket to Dubai ex Delhi costs 12,120. Can't get any lower than that. The next cheapest is right up there in the 24 Ks.

Thats a promotional fare it wont last long . When indigo launched operations to dubai a year ago, fare was 16k IIRC

I know it's a sale, that's why was planning to book it while it lasts. These prices are considerable savings over regular fares

Stay: You can opt for a hotel through any of the online websites like holidays.com (which I used once) to book at hotel. There are many reasonably priced one but you have to search for them.

Transport: You will have to rely on Metro (~2-10AED) + Taxis (2.5 to 3 AED/km). Other wise you can rent a car for a day or week but only from Hertz etc (w/o chauffeur). Can't rent from just about anyone and no private vehicles at all. Also you will need to apply for an International Driving permit (not a license) to be eligible to rent a car. You can apply for this at the local RTO in India.

Language: Will never be a problem since almost everyone is proficient in English. Taxis and certain shops have Hindi speaking Indians/Pakis

Tourism: Since this is your first visit, you can opt for a local tourist service like Big bus etc which do day tours and night safaris (if applicable)

Back