Audio Durable Circum Aural Headphones

greenhorn

Patron
My sister tried out my SHP 805's and suddenly wants a pair (as if I'm gonna give her - all of her electronics tend to die woefully premature deaths)
She can spend upto 2K, but would settle for something cheaper.

Most of the headphones I've tried out are pretty obsolete, and I've not tried out any of the new stuff

also I need Circum-Aural - Not supra aural, because comfort is the main reason she wants em, and most of the new phones seem to be supra aural ones.

I'm looking at the Sennheiser HD 180 & the Philips SHP2000.
Main considerations are comfort & durability. Sound quality is actually not important :p

Thoughts?

I had ordered a sony MDR XD 150, but it had to be returned due to issues with flipkart.
Eventually Ended up buying and HD 202 II's from ebay, for 1.6 after coupons.

Sis is happy with them - hope they don't break soon :D

Can you suggest a decent upgrade from an MDR-XD200? I see your requirements for sister had a similar budget as mine (around 2.5K max), which is around a grand more than what the XD cost me back then.

Been using these for over 5 years now.

I've yet to hear a headphone that has as much bass as the XD200. My JVC HARX700 comes close, but its more expensive, and not available in india anyway. let me listen to the sennheiser. Wonder if anybody has some experience with the XD150. I had heard the XD100, and despite looking very similar, it sounded pathetic

@greenhorn Have you had a listen to your sis' HD 202? How does it compare to your Philips? I'm considering options for circumaural headphones for ~2k-ish. The Philips SHP1900/2000/2500 seem to have generally positive reviews. But in my price range there's also the Senn HD 202 & the Akg k44. (Sucks that there doesn't seem to be any place where phones can be auditioned.) Thanks!

just had a listen, the HD 202 has some pretty deep bass, but the sound wasnt as open as my SHP 805 and the HA RX700.
also they are smaller compared to the other two, and are barely circum aural - they fit my sister's small ears, but comfort factor was a bit low compared to the others for me

So what do you guys recommend..

In to looking for headphones in similar range hd202/is overpriced it was 1.4k once

just had a listen, the HD 202 has some pretty deep bass, but the sound wasnt as open as my SHP 805 and the HA RX700.
also they are smaller compared to the other two, and are barely circum aural - they fit my sister's small ears, but comfort factor was a bit low compared to the others for me
Phillips one is not available now.. Looks damn good... But oop [emoji17]

The Sony ones are on ear...

So what do you recommend

@v.Na5h No personal experience with any headphone, let alone these, but from what I've researched the following seem to be the popular choices in the 2k-2.5k range -
Superlux HD 681/662 (http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_from...0.A0.H0.Xsuperlux.TRS0&_nkw=superlux&_sacat=0),
Samson Sr850 (http://www.snapdeal.com/product/samson-sr850-single-studio-headphones/1458773),
AKG K44 (http://www.flipkart.com/akg-k44-per...cXLlYHpZznmikm7CpaPqu6deuLIqKI46FMBoCg__w_wcB)
(All 3 may very well be the same product with some minor adjustments made by the individual manufacturers, given that Superlux is an OEM)

If the budget is lower, then the Philips phones such as the SHP1900, SHP2000, SHP2500 seem to be the best bang for the buck. In particular, the SHP2500 is considered to be very good by many.

Again, no personal experience. Just based on what I've read thus far.

The Phillips have two drawbacks for me...
One it's on ear and not over the ear

And second it's wire length is just 1.2m for most of the models

Hmmm.... The SHP2500 has a cable length of 6m & is over-ear if the Philips official site is to be believed. (http://www.philips.co.in/c-p/SHP2500_97/tv-headphones). Both the SHP1900 & 2000 are described as over-ear as well on the official site, with a cable length of 2m. Of course, manufacturers aren't always accurate with their description of over-ear/on-ear. Were you talking about any others?

Shp2500 is low on volume ... Needs amp..
Others are see m described as over ears bit the can looks small.. And round..

Never heard of the other links you shared...
Will check it out.. When I reach home

@v.Na5h No personal experience with any headphone, let alone these, but from what I've researched the following seem to be the popular choices in the 2k-2.5k range -
Superlux HD 681/662 (http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_from...0.A0.H0.Xsuperlux.TRS0&_nkw=superlux&_sacat=0),
Samson Sr850 (http://www.snapdeal.com/product/samson-sr850-single-studio-headphones/1458773),
AKG K44 (http://www.flipkart.com/akg-k44-per...cXLlYHpZznmikm7CpaPqu6deuLIqKI46FMBoCg__w_wcB)
(All 3 may very well be the same product with some minor adjustments made by the individual manufacturers, given that Superlux is an OEM)

If the budget is lower, then the Philips phones such as the SHP1900, SHP2000, SHP2500 seem to be the best bang for the buck. In particular, the SHP2500 is considered to be very good by many.

Again, no personal experience. Just based on what I've read thus far.
Dude the Samson one looks awesome...

As this is a studio head ...
Mostly people say it's flat..
How is the bass on this one

Also How is this for movies and gaming

Like I said, no personal experience. However these threads should shed some light on the sound signature of the Samson & Superlux models -
http://www.head-fi.org/t/546544/samson-sr850-superlux-oem-review-a-50-budget-champion
http://www.head-fi.org/t/546556/superlux-express-train

Also, if you google samson vs superlux, you'll come across many threads with their respective differences & similarities. I'll just quote solderdude here as he is pretty famous for his Superlux mods -

So what's the verdict, are they different or not ?

What's (exactly) the same:

the drivers appear to be similar in looks.
the plastic headband is similar with the difference of no name on the Samson and the Superlux's has it's name on it.
the general construction is the same (AKG look alike)
the cable and plug are exactly the same.
the ear pads are the same.
the dust filter is the same.

What's different:

the color scheme.
the clamping force.
the openings in the driver chamber on the rear.
the shape of the headband holders.
the shape of the rods (Superlux is bent outwards at a point and not running in parallel till it reaches the other side again, the Samson has 2 bends so the rods run parallel)
the isolator material of the rods (thicker on HD681)
the clamping force.
the name plate (obviously)
the box it came in.
brand and type number.

Now how about the most important thing ... the sound.

Well they are definitely not the same.
embarrassed.png

There are no piercing highs and the mids are better.
The bass is there but not as looowwww as HD681
the upper treble is not very present.
So the drivers, though from the same manufacturer do not sound similar (as Claus already established :eek:).
because the clamping force was a bit high I bent the rods a bit.
lipssealed.png

Now the clamping is nicer but the bass extension isn't as deep anymore.
angry.png

having owned the HD668B from Superlux I can say (without the room for much doubt) that the drivers from the samson are sounding (almost ?) exactly like the HD668B when the clamping force is as low as the HD668B is.
cool.png

The 'almost ?' is due to the fact that I can't do a direct comparison but only from memory.
I can still remember the same differences with the HD681 and HD668B as I am hearing now though.

So I think the Samson SR850 is slightly different in appearance and has similar drivers like the HD668B but in 32 Ohm version instead of 56Ohm for the HD668B.
This makes even more sense when you compare the price point of the Samson SR850 which is similar to the HD668B.
eyesroll.png

I did sell my HD668B as I did not think it was as lively and engaging as the (modded) HD681 and sounded more like the K701 (which sounds accurate but aty the same time a bit dull and liveless to me)
eyesroll.png

The Samson has the same sound signature as the HD668B which I found too be a bit lean on the bass compared to a HD681.
Compared to the K701 the SR850 has more bass IMO.

The SR850 doesn't need the HD681 filter mods and sounds quite pleasant right out of the box after a few hours already.
With the higher clamping force you get more bass then the HD668B and only slightly less then HD681.
Whether this is caused by the ear pads making a better seal or the drivers being closer to the ear I don't know.
The mids from the Samson and HD668B are clearly better/fuller/warmer then HD681.
This has been established before by Mike and Chaz too.
The highs in the upper region of the filtered HD681 are way better and more sparkly then SR850 and HD668B which seem to be somewhat pinched off at this point.
The highs are there but simply less sparkly as the modded HD681.
More like the Sennheiser HD650 in level but less 'velevetty'.
The deep lows of HD681 are slightly better, Samson is a bit more realistic though but because of this less 'fun' too.

All in all the same conclusion (for me) as with the HD668B:
SR850 and HD668B better for vocal and neutral listening without any fatigue.
grin.png

The (modded) HD681 is more fun, lively-er, more dynamic.
shocked.png

huh.png
I think I will keep the SR850 for a while and see if it goes out the door after some time like the K701 and HD668B (and many others) did.

Source - http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/thread/5788

So is it just hype?! You decide.

PS - Since you say you want to listen to your headphones un-amped, you should pay due attention to the resistance/sensitivity of your potential purchase & the capabilities of your source.

Got the samson sr850 ...

So far its good ..

Unlike iems ...tweaking audio equalizer reverb and stuff makes quite a noticeable difference

Got the samson sr850 ...

So far its good ..

Unlike iems ...tweaking audio equalizer reverb and stuff makes quite a noticeable difference
How much did you buy it for, & where from? & What's the verdict? How does it sound compared to an iem? Thanks!

How much did you buy it for, & where from? & What's the verdict? How does it sound compared to an iem? Thanks!
Got for 2270 from snapdeal...
It's good.. But still feels that it's hyped...

Never used headphones.. But this one is damn comfortable after a few days if getting used to..

Sounds only slightly better than piston 2 but much much more detailed..

Back