Electric Chimney good or bad ?

Can anyone help me regarding the Electric Chimney.

I was planning to install one in kitchen in order to keep it clean, visited kutchnia store and come across following points

1) They will need a outlet pipe, which will run around the house toward exist
2) we need to turn it on every time we want to use it
3) make noise like a old cooler :(

The one which is liked, is little bit silent, comes with touch screen and is made of glass top costing approx 55k, is it worth to buy electric chimney ??, or its better to repaint the kitchen every year

Electric chimneys are helpful when it's installed in an integrated or open kitchen (open to the hall or drawing room and generally without dedicated doors). Older houses tend to have kitchens with doors and proper ventilation (in the form of a window or ventilator) and you can do away with just an exhaust fan.

If your kitchen is not open to the visitors/guests then you don't have to install a decorative chimney (that 55k one). And touch button ones with glass hoods are very difficult to maintain. Go for an aluminium finish.

If you don't like the noise then get the one where extractor motor is installed away from the hood (outside of the kitchen).

And if you don't like to route the flue all over your house then go for a re-circulation one (can't recall its proper name).

My kitchen does have a window and a ventilation, but no exhaust fan, will installing an exhaust fan will equalize the effect of chimney ?? its conventional separate kitchen.

Even we had considered the ventilation and had a Exhaust Fan grill but due to cabinet structure later on fan could not be installed. There was already a window near the stove which took care of most of the ventilation but still some stains got formed in the overhead cabinets . so we opted for glen chimney , not fancy looking but does the job well

Electric chimney manufacturers seem to loot the customers with their atrocious pricing. When we wanted to install one at our kitchen, pricing for a decent chimney was around 20-30k, partly because it was made of brushed stainless steel (SS304) which is expensive and had a backlit digital display to indicate the time (which will reset if the main power is turned off!), fan speed and few spot lights. We finally settled for one that costed about 18k. I do not remember the make. I think it was Elica. The vendor showed us a Siemens chimney costing above 50k! :dead:

Essentially, an electric chimney has a centrifugal blower/fan that sucks air from below through a central duct and a bunch of meshed filters through which oily vapours are sucked and the oily stains are collected at this mesh which has to be cleaned on a periodic basis otherwise the mesh would get clogged which limits the sucking efficiency of the fan. The chimney may have a few spot lights which can be turned off/on and the speed control of the fan.

If you haven't designed the kitchen internals yet, you can buy yourself a good axial fan of a good make and install it at the top of the central duct like area which can be built adjacent to the wall in concrete and provide a large hood at the bottom below which you can place your gas stove/cooking range. Most folks buy an electric chimney to avoid the hassles of maintenance in such a setup. The fan can be mounted outside the kitchen so it is easier to access it in case of maintenance. Reverse the terminals of the fan and it operates in suction/blowing mode. I have seen such a setup in many houses wherein the owner has proactively thought of it during the implementation stage and executed it quite well. In one house this duct was completely concealed within wooden racks and caught us by surprise!

Something like this:

Untitled.png

Just 2 weeks back, I installed a Electric chimney. For me also the issue was open kitchen with the ventilation working in such a way that the smoke would come into the living room befoire exiting the house. I find it useful. However, IMO Electric chimney is a glorified, overpriced exhaust fan :)
...If only I could build a stainless steel hood and duct and put a powerful fan at the exit point.
This is the one that I bought. -> Faber Glassy 910 LTW 60.

Regards,
Mohit

Can anyone help me regarding the Electric Chimney.

I was planning to install one in kitchen in order to keep it clean, visited kutchnia store and come across following points

1) They will need a outlet pipe, which will run around the house toward exist
2) we need to turn it on every time we want to use it
3) make noise like a old cooler :(

The one which is liked, is little bit silent, comes with touch screen and is made of glass top costing approx 55k, is it worth to buy electric chimney ??, or its better to repaint the kitchen every year

I have an smoke chimney, Its on the opposite side to the windows, and we use it only as a oil scrubber at time of heavy frying, else its mostly unused. There is no real need for it, unless your cooking involves a lot of frying.

Back