PC Peripherals Electrical interference

hkanitkar

Disciple
I have noticed this a lot of times on my sony monitor. If there's a power plug/ power cable close to my display panel or its input cable, it tends to show a distortion in the display. Whenever i move the cable a little bit, it goes away for a while.

Can anyone tell me what can be done about this and what is this exactly called ??
Is it a common thing to happen with LCDs or is it specifically an issue with mine ? The model's Sony S76A.

yeah even i have heard something similar from my dealer. He says it happens usually with CRTs and by de-gaussing, the distortion is removed.
What about the LCD ??

but lcd`s hav a electronic circuit for the back lighting...that magnetic field can distort the backlight module casuing the screen to flicker or show distortions...

The Short: Get a better cable - the monitor cable, I mean.

The Long: This is pretty much an EMI issue far as I can tell, so lomac is kind of right though the reason is a little more involved.

The video subsystem uses very high frequency to communicate. Due to this the system impedance needs to be very low to prevent noise pickup. A second truth is that high frequency signals generally travel on the surface of the conductor - this is known as skin effect.

A badly designed cable will have higher impedance on its terminations and possibly along the cable length as well, causing a (very small) voltage drop. This drop will then be modulated by surrounding electrical fields. The shielding is critical for a second reason - high frequency can be easily modulated by low-frequency EMI (very common in power cables, which are always unshielded for safety reasons) from neighboring cables or circuitry.

A poor quality shield (<90% coverage may be considered poor for this application) will be unable to prevent the modulation. The problem is compounded by the skin effect (you won't see similar phenomenon in most decently-designed audio circuitry as the frequencies are much lower). That is most likely the reason for the interference. Has nothing to do with your monitor, IMO.

DVI is generally less susceptible to such interference, but is not immune. Cables bundled with monitors are generally quite poor quality, and a problem like this indicates the need for a new cable.

Ok. Got a new set of cables ( power cable as well as the VGA cable ) for the monitor and problem has vanished for now. i ma gonna test it for another 2-3 days, and then see if it re-occurs.

@greenhorn, lomac_29, sangram, stellarhopper - thanks a lot guys !!

i have been facing this problem with my samsung 740N right from the start and couldnt figure out why...but the problem is much more complex..the distortion or waves can be seen only on darker shades and on wmp11(vista) when playing a movie...have to look closely and one can see from there...

i have a switch board and the cpu power cable running nearby the lcd...

the service guys told me that it was not a prob with the lcd but with the motherboard/gfx card/psu.. these guys just dont understand...i think that its the monitors problem but i never gave a thought to electrical interference since it is a lcd.furthermore nowadays the white text on black background appears fuzzy.i think the vga cable is gone..

2hkanitkar : what is the price of the vga and power cable u bought?samsung people quoted me 500 bucks for the vga cable and a local one was available for 50 bucks...

so guys what do u think about this?

greenhorn said:
crt's rely on em fields to guide the beam. mess up the fields, mess up the picture.

no such issues for lcd's

yeh it happens if i run two CRT monitors at the same time within a short

distance monitor screen shakes sometimes .

only on darker shades and on wmp11(vista) when playing a movie

i think it is because of the compression- seen this problem on divx movies. imperfect greys and perfect blacks dont mix- it ends up looking banded.

If you have an nvidia card, turn down the overlay brightness and contrast a bit

@ sangram : can u tell me frm where to get a good cable. i mean i have the original samsung one and its giving some problems so ill get a new one.samsung quoted 500 for their cable.where to get a good cable and which brand exactly?

yup m on nvidia..the problem i see arises on wmp. i can see the waves although not very prominent when looking from monitor from very close when i watch the black bars closely, not the movie frames.

also i can see the same problem when i see the monitor form the top and watching the vista logo screensaver. the problem is there on black colours and can also be seen on same grayish black tone wallpapers.strangely when i look on the black bars that media player classic shows on playing the movie it does not show any vibrations.

i tried reducing the brightness but that did not help the waves on the black bars m talking about.

I picked up a few 28AWG and 26AWG from the Monoprice GO. They're pretty decent cables.

You can also be a little intelligent about power cables. Cross them with the signal cables at right angles, and ensure they are a few centimeters apart. Try and keep power cables a few feet away from the monitor. That might help temporarily.

Back