Emulating iOS on Android

mysticrainman

Disciple
I've been using Android for the past decade or so. Considering getting an iPhone now. Is there any way I can properly and easily emulate iOS 15/16 on my phone? I want to see if I'm comfortable using iOS. My current OnePlus 8t is decently specced.

No one in my family has an iPhone so I'm unable to try it out on their device. Nearby friends too are on Android mostly.

Nope, try at a store. FWIW, I used Android for 7 years before buying my first iPhone, then Android again and now iPhone for good (though I continue using an Android tablet). Basically, there is nothing that is out of place in either OS, except for when Android manufacturers use poorly designed skins.

Mainly like iOS for consistency, security and support which is difficult to get long term on Android.

Nope, try at a store. FWIW, I used Android for 7 years before buying my first iPhone, then Android again and now iPhone for good (though I continue using an Android tablet). Basically, there is nothing that is out of place in either OS, except for when Android manufacturers use poorly designed skins.

Mainly like iOS for consistency, security and support which is difficult to get long term on Android.
I did try it. But not for long. I felt a bit uncomfortable using it with the staff staring at me. Maybe I should try it out for 15-20 mins at least?

I'm mostly looking at a compact lagless experience. In Android the options are very less.
The qualities you mentioned in iOS are very attractive but on the other side, i won't be able to take advantage of the apple ecosystem.

I did try it. But not for long. I felt a bit uncomfortable using it with the staff staring at me. Maybe I should try it out for 15-20 mins at least?

I'm mostly looking at a compact lagless experience. In Android the options are very less.
The qualities you mentioned in iOS are very attractive but on the other side, i won't be able to take advantage of the apple ecosystem.
Yeah, good to try doing some common stuff that you do every day just to see if you are comfortable with the workflow. Even I am not that much into the Apple ecosystem but the camera, responsiveness, long-term OS support make it worth it.

Also, apps are very restrained on the App Store in terms of what they can do which is probably the best thing I like about iOS because on the Play Store, the apps go wild with ads, notifications, lockscreens, permissions whereas you can basically reject every permission and still run an app on iOS.

Yeah, good to try doing some common stuff that you do every day just to see if you are comfortable with the workflow. Even I am not that much into the Apple ecosystem but the camera, responsiveness, long-term OS support make it worth it.

Also, apps are very restrained on the App Store in terms of what they can do which is probably the best thing I like about iOS because on the Play Store, the apps go wild with ads, notifications, lockscreens, permissions whereas you can basically reject every permission and still run an app on iOS.
Appreciate the insight. I will try it out in detail then.

@mysticrainman

I will recommend getting a second hand / used iPhone to get a feel. Don't go very far back (as in the iPhone) in terms of what you buy. Check out iPhone X as I am sure you can get those for well under 20K used. I am insisting on X because all the phones before that were of home button design.
I will NOT recommend old iPhone SE as it is too small and since you are coming from android, I am guessing you are used to bigger screens. New SE is good but still smallish for android users. But that too you can get for under 20K used I guess. The performance of latest OS on even old phones is very respectable. I know because until Jan 2022, I was using iPhone 6S bought in 2015 and it was on iOS 15.

Most importantly, DO NOT GET FRUSTRATED when using iOS and you realize some basic things that was very simple in android is not easy or even possible in iOS. That is how it is and most people live with it. To date, either I have not figured out or there is no way to transfer say a pic from my iPhone to say and android tablet. Apple does this as they don't want people moving out of their ecosystem and it works bloody hell for them I feel as most people who start with say an iPhone end up with multiple Apple Products. I am one of them.

On android, installing APKs yourself is given, on iOS you just cannot do that. Yes sideloading exists but it is extremely limited and most people don't bother.

I use main phone as iPhone but do have samsung tablet. I think I am very tied up in Apple now and finding it almost impossible to leave owing to the tightly coupled integration between my devices. I was looking to buy a device mainly for watching videos while travelling and even something like samsung A7 lite or so can do the job but for some odd reason, I am unable to feel that comfort on android devices which I am on iOS and due to this, I actually got he iPad Mini (3.5x price of samsung a7 lite). I intend to use this for several years though as I know it will serve me well.

Last edited:
@mysticrainman

I will recommend getting a second hand / used iPhone to get a feel. Don't go very far in terms of what you buy. Check out iPhone X as I am sure you can get those for well under 20K used. I am insisting on X because all the phones before that were of home button design.
I will NOT recommend old iPhone SE as it is too small and since you are coming from android, I am guessing you are used to bigger screens. New SE is good but still smallish for android users. But that too you can get for under 20K used I guess. The performance of latest OS on even old phones is very respectable. I know because until Jan 2022, I was using iPhone 6S bought in 2015 and it was on iOS 15.

Most importantly, DO NOT GET FRUSTRATED when using iOS and you realize some basic things that was very simple in android is not easy or even possible in iOS. That is how it is and most people live with it. To date, either I have not figured out or there is no way to transfer say a pic from my iPhone to say and android tablet. Apple does this as they don't want people moving out of their ecosystem and it works bloody hell for them I feel as most people who start with say an iPhone end up with multiple Apple Products. I am one of them.

On android, installing APKs yourself is given, on iOS you just cannot do that. Yes sideloading exists but it is extremely limited and most people don't bother.

I use main phone as iPhone but do have samsung tablet. I think I am very tied up in Apple now and finding it almost impossible to leave owing to the tightly coupled integration between my devices. I was looking to buy a device mainly for watching videos while travelling and even something like samsung A7 lite or so can do the job but for some odd reason, I am unable to feel that comfort on android devices which I am on iOS and due to this, I actually got he iPad Mini (3.5x price of samsung a7 lite). I intend to use this for several years though as I know it will serve me well.
Appreciate the detailed comment.

I do use a lot of non playstore apks though. This is making me think again.

I don't have any apple devices and tbh I don't think i can afford airpods. Will earphones with 3.5 mm headphone jack work well (i suppose I'll need a lightning to 3.5mm connector)?

I don't have any apple devices and tbh I don't think i can afford airpods. Will earphones with 3.5 mm headphone jack work well (i suppose I'll need a lightning to 3.5mm connector)?
Yes you can use any bluetooth earphones or wired (as long as you use the lightning to 3.5mm adapter).

@i_rock098

I agree. But you are discounting the user experience completely here. I am just more comfortable with IOS now. For an end user, no one Is forcing anyone to buy anything. You are free to never buy an apple device. For me, I am no longer 20 year old who can fiddle with his devices. I just want them to work and I want consistency which apple products offer.

@i_rock098

I agree. But you are discounting the user experience completely here. I am just more comfortable with IOS now. For an end user, no one Is forcing anyone to buy anything. You are free to never buy an apple device. For me, I am no longer 20 year old who can fiddle with his devices. I just want them to work and I want consistency which apple products offer.
I think most people underestimate the need for devices to just work for most people, especially once you start having limited free time in your life. Apple works well in that regard in terms of refining the experience and maintaining that consistency.

I still fiddle with my Android tablet on weekends but I do so knowing that I don't care what happens to the apps or data on it. Can't really commit to an Android phone knowing the updates become worse after a year (looking at you Samsung) or lag behind security updates. Custom ROMs with older blobs don't age well with multiple issues, especially if the maintainer moves on after a couple of years.

@mysticrainman

Just use One drive or similar cloud services for pics to basically always keep the library in sync on iOS, Android and Windows. Been doing that for several years.

I did try it. But not for long. I felt a bit uncomfortable using it with the staff staring at me.
Just keep taking their photos with the phone and burst shot them. Treat them like models. Hold your hand here and turn face over ther.

They will leave you alone after some time :D

I would do this with at least five different phones in the store.
I've been using Android for the past decade or so. Considering getting an iPhone now.
Why ? just bored or something more.

I've been off fruit company since '98. To the extent of not even touching the products.

Was chatting with some one who thinks they are the best. I always remind him that Apple is never the best at anything. They just do most things well.

He placed his phone on a scooter seat. Bad move. Two minutes later phone slid down and screen cracked. Repair bill 11k (!) and get this he did that just two weeks back already.

He was showing me his airpods 3. Telling them they kept getting lose in his ear. I'm looking at them. There is no way to attach anything to them. No third party buds or hooks that would increase traction.

This is while wearing galaxy buds pro with custom tips.

When you go with apple what you lose is choice. You will have to put up wth a lot of things you already take for granted.

Last edited:
Just keep taking their photos with the phone and burst shot them. Treat them like models. Hold your hand here and turn face over ther.

They will leave you alone after some time :D

I would do this with at least five different phones in the store.

Why ? just bored or something more.

I've been off fruit company since '98. To the extent of not even touching the products.

Was chatting with some one who thinks they are the best. I always remind him that Apple is never the best at anything. They just do most things well.

He placed his phone on a scooter seat. Bad move. Two minutes later phone slid down and screen cracked. Repair bill 11k (!) and get this he did that just two weeks back already.

He was showing me his airpods 3. Telling them they kept getting lose in his ear. I'm looking at them. There is no way to attach anything to them. No third party buds or hooks that would increase traction.

This is while wearing galaxy buds pro with custom tips.

When you go with apple what you lose is choice. You will have to put up wth a lot of things you already take for granted.
On the contrary, Apple products work well for most people and that is the reason a lot of people invest in the ecosystem.

Airpods 3 is not well reviewed and fit is always an issue, which is the main reason you cannot purchase them blindly. At the same time, any TWS with AAC works well with an iPhone, so not sure why someone would think choice is limited. The problem is when people think they need to invest in the Apple ecosystem, when in fact one can only keep using only an iPhone and get the most out of it.
https://www.soundguys.com/apple-airpods-3rd-generation-review-61295/

The servicing cost is high and it is a cost you have to pay if you are careless, or otherwise pay more for accident coverage. It is not as if the SAMOLED screens are cheap for other devices.

On the contrary, Apple products work well for most people and that is the reason a lot of people invest in the ecosystem.

Airpods 3 is not well reviewed and fit is always an issue, which is the main reason you cannot purchase them blindly. At the same time, any TWS with AAC works well with an iPhone, so not sure why someone would think choice is limited. The problem is when people think they need to invest in the Apple ecosystem, when in fact one can only keep using only an iPhone and get the most out of it.
https://www.soundguys.com/apple-airpods-3rd-generation-review-61295/

The servicing cost is high and it is a cost you have to pay if you are careless, or otherwise pay more for accident coverage. It is not as if the SAMOLED screens are cheap for other devices.

Also, many people (not on this forum), buy apple products for showoff. Like they won't put a case because "Logon ko pata kaise chalega ki mere paas iPhone hai". Then cry saying it is expensive to fix.
And here I am someone who buys and gets the screen protector and case before the actual device arrives and I don't buy the ridiculously expensive apple care too as I tend to baby sit my stuff. I understand accidents can happen but whatever I can avoid I try to.

Also, many people (not on this forum), buy apple products for showoff. Like they won't put a case because "Logon ko pata kaise chalega ki mere paas iPhone hai". Then cry saying it is expensive to fix.
And here I am someone who buys and gets the screen protector and case before the actual device arrives and I don't buy the ridiculously expensive apple care too as I tend to baby sit my stuff. I understand accidents can happen but whatever I can avoid I try to.
He had no case or screen protector on. I don't think it was a question of cost but of ignorance. Not technical at all.

I think it was an iphone 7. Not the latest iphone.

He had no case or screen protector on. I don't think it was a question of cost but of ignorance. Not technical at all.

I think it was an iphone 7. Not the latest iphone.

Understood, but no case and no screen protector? What was he thinking or expecting? I mean, no one expects to drop their phones but $hit happens, phones drop, they may get damaged. I have 2 tablets, both having hardware faults (screen crack and headphone port pressed due to impact), thanks to my kid but I cannot plan for that. I did but still it happened.

Understood, but no case and no screen protector? What was he thinking or expecting? I mean, no one expects to drop their phones but $hit happens, phones drop, they may get damaged.
And this is after he replaced the screen just two weeks earlier because he dropped the phone.

It's ignorance. He does not have any one to guide him here and its an open question whether using a phone with any protection is what he wants.

whether using a phone with any protection is what he wants.

That seems like it. Because even say first he didn't have the protection, once he faced the damage to phone, he should have realized to get a good case and screen protector.
I have also seen people skimp on cases for their 70K phones. They will buy a roadside 100 Rs case and expect it to protect. I have Spigen case on my iPhone and have dropped phone twice mistakenly but it protects the phone so well.

once he faced the damage to phone, he should have realized to get a good case and screen protector.
I wonder if he even realises such things exist. I have a doubt. Or if he does whatever he has tried earlier was not very good so decided to opt out.
I have also seen people skimp on cases for their 70K phones. They will buy a roadside 100 Rs case and expect it to protect. I have Spigen case on my iPhone and have dropped phone twice mistakenly but it protects the phone so well.
Not a fan of sipigen's cases because thir TPU ones are not that grippy. I think you are more likely to drop the phone in such a spigen case as a result.

UAG, now that is different. Ribbed edges for good grip and better protection. More expensive though. If you're looking for still better then there is mous

With the new S20FE i've not gone with any branded cases save the vendors. The rest are all generics but are quite good at a fraction of the price of a spigen.

@mysticrainman

To date, either I have not figured out or there is no way to transfer say a pic from my iPhone to say and android tablet. Apple does this as they don't want people moving out of their ecosystem and it works bloody hell for them I feel as most people who start with say an iPhone end up with multiple Apple Products. I am one of them.
i would argue its the other way round.
My photo library of the last 20 years is on both icloud and google photos.

If i wanted to dump ios tomorrow, I can just reset and sell the phone and be done with it - all photos , documents and data on icloud are anyway synced locally (or can be done with a single click on windows or mac if needed)
This is now next to impossible on google for photos in particular after they discontinued their photo sync app in 2019.

Coming back to your problem , there are multiple ways to it.
Photosync (available on both android , ios and PC/mac) is one app that works exceptionally well for this.
You can even enable automatic local syncing from either ios or android to a PC or mac . some of the features are paid - but like a 100-200 one time purchase.

If it is more of a one off usage need, even telegram will suffice

If you intend to continue using sideloading, stay away from iOS.
Having said that, I hope you aren’t sideloading apps on your primary phone :)

Last edited:
Back