entry level profesional cam under 18k.

dOm1naTOr

Skilled
Im looking for an entry level professional cam under 18~20k. Im looking for an ebay deal, as ive got a 15% coupon with 1k max discount.

im a n00b on professional cams. im not at all satisfied with my current Kodak V803 8MP cam, which was awarded best 3 yr ago on digit mag.:S

my requirements are:

8MP+n sensor

8X or above optical zoom [the more the better :)]

all manual controls.

good quality on all lights

video should be good, if not best in the price.

macros should be good.

dont want any unwanted features like smile detection and all.

btw, i dont want any compact cams. size and weight .. dun matter.

here are some deals i found interesting on ebay.

kindy have a look at them and guide me, which will be the best.

eBay India: Sony Cybershot Dsc H20 Digital Camera With 4GB + Case (item 170450856327 end time 03-Mar-2010 20:32:49 IST)

eBay India: nikon coolpix L100 digital camera digicam > warranty > (item 260558836490 end time 03-Mar-2010 23:00:37 IST)

eBay India: NIKON COOLPIX P90 DIGICAM + 2GB + Pouch With WARRANTY (item 280470317490 end time 04-Mar-2010 11:19:54 IST)

eBay India: PANASONIC LUMIX DMC FZ35 DIGITAL CAMERA WARRANTY NEW (item 260558838550 end time 03-Mar-2010 23:03:44 IST)

swastikrj said:
hey dominator plz clear ur pm's

i m not able to pm u

sorry. just cleared and made some room :)

Aces170 said:
Wrong forum, and do look at:
http://www.techenclave.com/general-...r-entry-level-dslr-151815-14.html#post1427795

Stretch the budget a little and entry level DSLR come into picture. BTW professional camera cost 50K upwards for the body itself.

oops. i m not sure if its professional cam that i want. i just want an upgradation from point and shoot type cams, which comes under 14k and usually relates to higher MP for quality. I find the colors and lighting really unsatisfactory on such cams.

FaH33m said:
Get the Panasonic FZ-35 .It's the best in it's range :) I jsut got one recently .

thnx yaar. Can u plz specify all pros and cons on the same.

now ive to decide b/w FZ 35 and P90.

p90 has 24X zoom, but its too lengthy even when retracted. And no manual focus for it. .

So i think i shud go with the FZ 35.

3 more days to think over it.

the HD video, gr8 battery life of FZ 35 are great. It seems it rules the roast.

The P90 or any of the non-DSLR Nikon's aren't really worth it .If you read up online ,you will come to know that the P90 has a slight off colour (orangish/reddish ) tint in the snaps. I myself had tried it out at "Reliance Digital".Didn't notice the colour tinting on the small screen but the overall build /feel of the camera itself wasn't so great.

Even the focusing is slower compared to the FZ-35.

I would suggest you are better of with a FZ-35 or SX20IS.

I say again, buy an entry level DSLR. A Canon 1000D is for 23k, the kind of upgrade options (lenses) available in a DSLR is unmatched. The only advantage the superzooms will have are in the video department, if you want image quality get a DSLR, else get the superzooms (FZ35 is the better of the lot).

^ It actually depends on his needs as well .I agree DSLRs provide unmatched image quality but what's the use if the OP doesn't have the time ,care and the upgrades a DSLR demands. I was discussing the same with iGO as well during the recent meet. Another major factor is the size of the camera but that doesn't seem to be an issue for the OP.

Incase the OP is interested in some serious photography and is willing to give in the time and dedication it requires ,without seconds thoughts he should pick up a DSLR if not a FZ-35 or any other good super zoom should do fine for him .

i really dunno the dufference b/w the FZ35 and a DSLR. Moreover i might not upgrade any lenses. the cam alone is good to go :)

btw, why do we upgrade lenses? is it for more zoom? or crispness, or colors ?

what does this upgrade really means? please shed some light on it.

if upgrades are cheaper [like < 2~3k], then i can consider a DSLR.

moreover, does DSLR performs better w/o upgrades too? i mean is the "Canon 1000D" better than FZ35 - both out of the box ?

FZ35 is definitely good.. At the same time for even little lesser Fuji S2XXX series is also nice.

Upgrade lenses is for all the above.. Both camera and lenses are important. Obviously it's pretty hard to take photos without one or the other.

Some lenses offer better zoom, some offer faster F-stop for shallower DOF and helping faster shutter speed at wide open.

If you're serious about photography and want to go for DSLR, then stick with stock lens for start. Usually, most of the kit lenses come at 18-55 or 18-70 (rare these days). In layman's term you get usually 3x (18-55) to 3.8x (18-70) zoom. It's usually good enough for start, experiement with it, take varity of shots and see which type of photogrpahy interests you more... wild-life, portaits, architechural or something else... once you decide on your interest, then start looking for better lenses, equipments that will help you advance in your interests.

Lenses are not cheap... Read this for a better insight - Lens or Camera: A Guide for the Budget Minded

As mentioned above.. stick to the stock lens that comes with it.. experiment and then determine what interests you. Else you can also get the compact ones for now and then experiment with it and determine what interests you and upgrade likewise.

DSLRs, even entry levels will always perform better than prosumer cams like FZ35 or S2000FD. But if you're just starting with photography then go with what your budget allows you. As your interest increases you can think about going higher on equipments. Remember, as said by some great photographer... "The best camera is one you have with you" :)

Interesting stuff.. was thinking of upgrading my Sony DSC-W210 to something better. This thread is really helping me make my mind!

Sorry for the OT, but can someone please post useful links to understand more about DSLRs? :)

@ SEI: Go through the sticky thread, although its long. Some very informative posts from BF1983, D.Payne and many others. I am planning to buy a Canon EOS1000D after a lot of discussion and research with these guys help...

@ Dominator: That article is largely accurate apart from one fact, the automatic controls on the DSLR's have improved by leaps and bounds in the last 3 years. Although the point of having a DSLR is lost if you are not gonna experiment, but anyone can pick up and start taking good pictures.

Ok, please tell me this>

is the extra 6k for 1000D worth, than the FZ-35 if im not goin to upgrade anytime soon. Moreover i know the PQ of DSLR like 1000D stock would be better than FZ-35, as Meghna has described it well. But feature wise which will lead? stock 1000D or a stock FZ-35.

what is the default zoom of the 1000D. Its not specified in specs anywhere. Also can upgrades be done on FZ35 too ?. If ever i upgrade, it would be cheapest upgrades like 2~3k if there are any in that price range.

mostly my upgrades would be another battery set and a memory card, and maybe a better carry bag :D

I would recommend you go down to a large electronics store like Croma and test both cameras. I really really liked the speed of a DSLR but the zoom range (3x in layman terms) was a bit limiting for me. However you can always get a used lens in future (5k or so) to compensate for the lack of zoom.

Once you get used to a speed of a DSLR its difficult to use a normal camera again.

Also as Aces has said, Auto mode in DSLRs have improved by leaps and bounds and you can leave it on Auto and still take amazing snaps. :)

Back