Video ESPN HD is here!

Powersurge

Casual Gentleman
Adept
Well, and DishTV strangely have seemed to have launched it. Saw it on IndiaBroadband forum, and indeed, even the "news" section of the DishTV site says do.

The idea of watching the World Cup in HD is making me really want to dump my TataSky box at the moment.

Link

But wont it need some special set top box or are they already HD ready ??? I guess they wont have HDMI out :S

Also the below stuff mentioned in that PDF seems to be wrong ???

Doesn't 1080p mean 1920x1080 and not 1080i

1080i: 1080i is an interlaced HDTV video mode. It implies a horizontal

resolution of 1920 pixels and a frame resolution of 1920×1080 or about 2.07

million pixels . This is an astounding ten times better resolution and picture

quality.

^^ The set box does have an HSMI according to the pdf.

Also HD broadcasts are usually interlaced and hence 1080i

1080p are the blue ray HD sources and non-interlaced....whereas realtime broadcasts are full HD but interlaced

TechHead said:
Just checked DishTV's website. No mention at all of the HD feeds?
They dont seem to update that much, The pdf i linked is actually on the DishTV website if you go to the Homepage > Press Releases

Ah....Dish TV

By doing this now, they want a long que of will be HD customer before June 11th event. I doubt how many of them get the connection or able to view in HD even July 11th Event.

Anyhow by starting with ESPN HD is always good move in such a sports season.

IceFusion said:
Tata sky would soon announce smthing on similar lines as well..... Most probably a new HD box as well ;)
No need for a HD box IMHO, both TS+ and the new TS boxes are DVB-S2 with component outs, so 1080i wont be a problem.

Powersurge said:
No need for a HD box IMHO, both TS+ and the new TS boxes are DVB-S2 with component outs, so 1080i wont be a problem.
Well so was big tv which i believe was the first to come out with component out STB ,infact every STB of big tv has component out but they are not HD capable,the TS boxes costs a mere 2k or less vs the HD STB which cost atleast around 5k upwards.
Dish tvs HD stb is priced at 6k ,for 1.5k more one can a HD pvr STB from BIG tv,for existing big tv customers its priced at 6k .
Big tv transmission is only in MPEG4 vs dish tvs mpeg2 for SD channels and perhaps MPEG4 for HD channels,Big tv also has higher number of transponders then dish tv, sun dth ,airtel dth,currently TS has highest number of transponders.

Any idea what the bit rate is ?? Even HD can look crap if the bit rate is too low !

So far been a happy customer of tata sky.But lack of HD is bothering me.If it doesn't happen soon i will have to switch to dish.

interesting article, and given the fact that TS has already started testing hd channels:

New Delhi The Delhi High Court has dismissed a plea from direct-to-home operator TataSky, seeking that sports broadcaster ESPN be directed to provide High Definition Feed (HDF) signals to its platform for upcoming global sports events Fifa World Cup and Wimbledon.

Rejecting TataSky’s plea, Justice Manmohan Singh said that the global sports broadcaster was still in the process of obtaining permission from the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting to uplink HDF from the countries hosting the games.

The court further observed that TataSky, a 70:30 joint venture between the Tata Group and broadcast giant Star, does not even have the infrastructure to receive the HDF.

“Another fact is that, at present, the petitioner (TataSky) has no infrastructure for the same (HDF) as admitted by it in its answer... that it will launch it before the Commonwealth Games,” the court further said.

Justice Singh maintained that there was no urgency in the matter as it was already listed before broadcast tribunal TDSAT for scheduled hearing on June 28.

TataSky had approached the court after the Telecom Disputes Settlement & Appellate Tribunal, on June 3, directed ESPN to provide HDF signals. The tribunal also directed the DTH operator and the sports broadcaster to negotiate its terms and conditions.

But TataSky later asked ESPN to provide HDF decoders and other instruments to decode and beam the signals on its platform, a request that the broadcaster did not comply with.

Following this, the DTH operator approached the High Court.

TataSky has submitted before the court that as the two global sporting events - Fifa World Cup and Wimbledon - would be commencing from June 11 and June 21 respectively, the court should decide on the issue urgently.

Back