Graphic Cards Every game crashes on my ATI Radeon 4670

nanoneo

Adept
I have an MSI Radeon 4670 1 GB. Every single 3D game I play crashes.

At first GTA 4, kept crashing and I thought it was a problem with the Game. (RESC10 error - out of Video Memory error). But now that I've tried the following games, I realize its something to do with the card.

Other Games Tried
  • Prince of Persia (crashes least)
  • Dead Space
  • Burnout Paradise
  • The Sims3

Three issues
1. 70% Crashes to Desktop with the usual Windows error report
2. Sometimes (rarely) I get BSOD, system restarts. First the game freezes then I hear the a stuttering sound from the speakers followed by BSOD.:mad:
3. The game freezes for a few sec. The Catalyst VPU recover kicks in and the game starts playing again normally.:hap2:

Things I've done to address the problem
  • Used drivers that came out of the box
  • Used Catalyst 9.7 and 9.8
  • Added an extra fan to the case to cool the card better. No difference. According to the Catalyst Control Center idle temp is 46C while load is 58C

System Config
Proocy: AMD X2 550
Ram: Transcend 4GB DDR2 RAM
Mobo: Biostar TA790GXBE
HDD: Seagate 500GB 7200.12
PSU: Gigabyte 460W PSU
UPS: APC 650VA

Exact same problem for me and I spent days to figure out the problem. Tried everything from different drivers, 32 bit and 64 bit OS, but it persisted. Whenever I play a game, in 10 mins, crashes to desktop or I get BSOD.

It turned out to be one of the faulty Ram sticks in my 2x2 GB Transcend. Given it for RMA yesterday.

Test both of your RAM sticks by inserting one stick at a time and run prime95 and memtest86, I'm pretty sure you've the same issue.

I doubt it RAM is the problem, but i'll try that.

If it was a RAM issue why would the Catalyst VPU recover kick in and allow me to continue gaming every now and then?

nanoneo said:
I doubt it RAM is the problem, but i'll try that.
If it was a RAM issue why would the Catalyst VPU recover kick in and allow me to continue gaming every now and then?

I used to get this error too sometimes 'ATI Catalyst driver has successfully recovered from an error', especially during GTA 4. Now I'm running with only 2 Gigs of RAM and now no problems whatsoever.

Back