Windows Excel Help

LaatSahab

Skilled
Looking to create a particular functionality in Excel but don't know how to proceed in this regard. Essentially, I want to create an account automator wherein there are 3 columns, A, B, C. Column A is for Debits, B for Credits, and C for Total. The initial row for columns A and B shall be empty while column C would have a value. In subsequent rows value in Column A or B shall be added or subtracted from the value in one row above in Column C and any direct change made to the value in Column C should reflect all the remaining values below in the same column, be it any increment or decrement.
How should I go about doing this? Macros or VBA scripting and in either case, where to look for tutorials/learning material?

Best is to create a Macro using dummy data. U have not mentioned as to how the inputs to cells in column A & B will be given? If these are manual inputs, then Macro is best choice with dummy data. If u going to pull data from another excel file, then VBA is the way to go

The data in column C will be copied from another table and the inputs in Columns A and B will be either entered manually or copied from another table to verify and make necessary manipulations in Column C.

upload a file here with dummy data and fill couple of rows with the desired results so we can know what you want to achieve. Or you can try google sheet to share data here and make it editable to anyone with a link so people can see the possibilities of formulas or other methods like scripts (same as VBA for excel)

share your email id, unable to upload excel sheet
Suppose A and B Data Entry and C is the Sum
C1 is opening opening Balance then c2 will be +C1+A2+B2 (Drag the C col)
Yeah, that's about it. Either that, or I'm misunderstanding anything.

For making comparison from another sheet, you can use a combination of IF and COUNTIF if you want to find a value in a range, or INDEX-MATCH, or V/HLOOKUP functions to find values for specific dates/other criteria.

If you use Google Sheets, you can probably even use SQL if you're familiar with it.

Also, ChatGPT is kind of a great help in situations like these. Explain it clearly what you want, and it can help you out. If you can't explain it, then give some test input values and tell what the output should be and it can figure it out.

Here's a sample use case
Column A Column B Column C
Here Column C has the initial value. Any value given in Column A is subtracted(Debit) to the previous value of Column C and updated in its current row and similarly, any value in Column B is added(credited) to the previous value of Column C and updated in its current row.
Let's say if in the first value of Column C, I update it to 150 instead of 100, manually, then all the values in rows below of the same column should also increment by 50.

This is what I'm looking to do in Excel, where the data will be copied over from other sheets and thus manipulated.

You can use a formula as suggested by gcbeldar earlier. Assuming your first row will be opening balance the value in C1 will be fixed let say 100. Now you write the formula in C2

=IF(OR(ISNUMBER(A2),ISNUMBER(B2)),C1-A2+B2,"")

Now you can drag or copy this formula across full C column of the sheet .

Back