PC Peripherals Experience dealing with Carpel Tunnel due to mouse usage. TL;DR: Trackball Mouse fixed it

raksrules

Elite
Being in IT and working on computers (laptops) for full day for last 13+ years and even before that, last year, I developed what is called as "Carpel Tunnel Syndrome" or "Repetitive stress Injury (RSI)". I didn't even know these terms before that and what I actually searched on google when It happened was "pain in thumb and index and middle finger". I am used to using a mouse with laptop and am not comfortable with the trackpad for work (but do use trackpad on home laptop).
So yes, I started developing this pain in my right hand , below my thumb, index and middle fingers. It was pretty painful and sometimes it felt like those 3 fingers are sort of worthless and when picking heavier things or pulling something in day to day, it would pain.
This is when I discovered something called "Trackball Mouse". On doing some research, I found there are either the ones with trackball in middle and left and right clicks on sides so you need to use your index and middle fingers to move cursor. Then you have the one where the trackball is on the side, the one I am using and you move cursor using your thumb. I am using a similar type of Mouse, the Logitech M570 and since using it for last 1+ year, my pain in the palms in completely gone. In fact I noticed the pain gone in just few days after started using it and it is a joy to use this mouse, no hand movement at all.

This post is just to make people aware that even if you do not have carpel tunnel now, there is a chance you may develop in future and untreated ones can result in surgery to treat it. May be try switching to trackball mouse and see try them before writing them off. Also there are vertical mouse but I have no experience in using those so cannot say if they are good or no.

Thanks for sharing. Have been curious about these. The idea of not having to move the mouse all the time is appealing. Have a lot of questions :D
How difficult was it to get accustomed to a trackball mouse ? Can you play games like FPS with equal skill ? How about fine control ?

Also for the previous mouse did you try getting a wrist support for your mouse ? I found that they helped greatly.

I didn't know you get CTS from using a mouse, pounding away on a bad keyboard is what i thought caused it.

I didn't know you get CTS from using a mouse, pounding away on a bad keyboard is what i thought caused it.
The problem with using a normal mouse is that you have to twist your wrist which may cause RSI.
I always used the touchpad on my office laptop all the time which is a worse posture as not only your wrist is twisted in the horizontal axis but its also turned inwards towards the touchpad.

When I faced this issue I switched to a SHARKK vertical mouse from newegg as Amazon didn't have any options 2 years back. Now I can see this one which has the same shape as my mouse-

On top of that I started to sleep with a wrist band for a couple of months which completely stopped my wrist pain-

Since then I have been using the vertical mouse only for 8 hrs or so in the office and never had to face any RSI related wrist pain.

Just one question OP, what's your weight and fat percentage? My mom has this syndrome and she has never used a computer for more than 10 minutes. The doc suggested that it was her overweight causing it. A few meds and she is better now. Hope you stay healthy too but I doubt the mouse theory.

Just one question OP, what's your weight and fat percentage? My mom has this syndrome and she has never used a computer for more than 10 minutes. The doc suggested that it was her overweight causing it. A few meds and she is better now. Hope you stay healthy too but I doubt the mouse theory.
I am 5"11 and weigh 78 Kg so for us nerds I think PC usage is the main issue. CTS/RSI of this sort is mostly seen with IT people.

Back