Experience with International eSIMs

raksrules

Elite
Hi All.
I want opinions from people here who have traveled internationally and availed eSIM prior to their departure and then activated and used in destination country. How was your experience and which was the destination country.
I am completely aware that buying physical sim at airport etc can turn out cheaper but in some countries (like Vietnam...read on internet), it can turn out to be scam too.
Hence the eSIM provides a guaranteed way of staying connected to internet as soon as land in destination country.

For my trip to Vietnam in 2022, I got one sim from the airport and another for my partner from the operator store in the city. At the airport I paid 350k VND and at the store I paid 200k VND (this was a lower plan too I think, don't remember the exact details), in INR that was 1200 vs 600. Both were from Viettel. Not sure where you read about scams, but atleast I didn't run into any issues.

For another trip to Kazakhstan in 2023, I opted for an eSIM from https://maya.net/, it worked well from the minute we landed. I paid Rs 600 for 3 GB, I ended up using that fairly quickly, so we got local sims from a store. Paid 9300 KZT ~ 1650 INR for two sims as we needed connectivity for both my partner and I and call facility.

I felt it is good to take an eSIM maybe with a shorter validity, basic plan so that you have connectivity the moment you land, and then maybe get a local SIM card once you reach the city where its cheaper. Again would depend on the country I suppose.

For my trip to Vietnam in 2022, I got one sim from the airport and another for my partner from the operator store in the city. At the airport I paid 350k VND and at the store I paid 200k VND (this was a lower plan too I think, don't remember the exact details), in INR that was 1200 vs 600. Both were from Viettel. Not sure where you read about scams, but atleast I didn't run into any issues.

For another trip to Kazakhstan in 2023, I opted for an eSIM from https://maya.net/, it worked well from the minute we landed. I paid Rs 600 for 3 GB, I ended up using that fairly quickly, so we got local sims from a store. Paid 9300 KZT ~ 1650 INR for two sims as we needed connectivity for both my partner and I and call facility.

I felt it is good to take an eSIM maybe with a shorter validity, basic plan so that you have connectivity the moment you land, and then maybe get a local SIM card once you reach the city where its cheaper. Again would depend on the country I suppose.

For Vietnam, if you paid 1200 at airport then I guess the eSIM works better for me as I am seeing $12.5 something for 5GB daily limit for 10 days on Vinaphone network.

Used Nomad for Germany and Thailand. In Germany, it worked flawlessly and for Thailand, I bought 3 sims for my brother. Looks like it’s working as expected.

Back