External DVD drive with PS3

moshel

Adept
I want to watch movies I have on DVD on my PS3.

I know the PS3 reads DVDs....but don't wanna waste the life of the Blu-ray lens on playing DVDs... :no:
I know I can convert it to a video file on my PC and then play it via USB on the PS3.....but I won't be able to access the additional content, and also its not the same fun...

So, is it possible to hook up an external DVD drive via USB to PS3 and watch movies?

Thanks,
Moshel

DVD's will soon be extinct. After being spoilt by HD content, I cannot stand watching a DVD now. Why don't to invest in a good internet connection and source some HD content instead? I am a collector myself and have hundreds of DVDs and VCDs in my collection but watching them now just makes no sense. On the other hand, I sourced HD versions of some my favorite DVDs and its truly a bliss watching them again in HD. Its like a whole new experience. Try it.

As far as your question goes, I am pretty certain you can connect your external DVD drive through USB in Extremer, don't know about other media players but I think most of them should support it.

Fahrenheit said:
Why don't you stream the DVD from your computer via LAN or WIFI?
Good suggestion indeed. Alternately use PS3 Media Server to do so. :)

The lens on the PS3 can last a while before it fails. Or why not just get a cheap dvd player? The branded Sony/Philips/Samsung and the likes have players that retails for 1.5k and above.

The thing is I have many original DVDs with me and my HTIB DVD player lens is gone and am not in the mood to get it repaired. The audio works fine, so the PS3 is connected to it for audio. Streaming is not an option, tried streaming through TVersity but was not happy with results (wifi signal not strong enough where my PS3 sits). Was not able to connect through PS3 Media Server

Yes, as last option I am looking at a DVD player ofcourse with HD upscaling. Just thought if PS3 would allow it I could save myself from adding one more gadget to the already cluttered space or if any media player allowed it, it would serve dual purpose (save me from converting downloaded mkv files to PS3 format).

Back