PC Peripherals External Storage

Dont go for a IDE HDD based casing... Its huge... And no point carrying it around as it needs external power so end up carrying an external power adapter with the thing... The main reasone for suggesting a Notebook HDD is that it doesnt need external power cause the power is provied by USB only and is so small that you can carry it in your shirt pocket...

Dont go for a IDE HDD based casing... Its huge... And no point carrying it around as it needs external power so end up carrying an external power adapter with the thing...

GREAT POINT...:hap2: bcz this i realized after purchasing the IDE HDD based casing for Rs 1200 frontech...the external power adapter really speaking compromises on portability aspect...
----------------------------------------------
Seagate Notebook HDD 40 GB + Sleek looking external casing for 3150 tops... Small and convinient...

I was considering this...but had few questions before i purchase....please answer...

1. Is the Note book HDD capable of being used with desktop USB....????

2. What are indicative rough prices of 40;80;120;160 and 200 GB NOTEBOOK hdd AND WHATS price of casings for them...????

Anything which anyone willing to add....??????????????????

anticipating reply,

regards

sunando

Notebook HDDs are capable being used with desktop USB unless they are kept in USB casing or ready hard drive like Iomega or Lacie. Either you can go for good quality USB notebook HDD casing or buy branded stuff like Iomega or Lacie. Cheaper USB casing are available for Rs.300-400 onwards but gives lots of trouble.

Just the notebook HDD you can get 40GB, 80GB & 100GB in market. I dont think so above 100GB available in market.

best option get the 40 giger , the lacie and the vantec are pretty expensive , instead get an edgetech for 300 bucks . So the cost wud be 3000 for 2.5 inch HDD and 300 bucks USB casing .

hi members any idea whats the price for hitachi 100gb hard drive and where i can get it had called prime as well as compu sel.. not available with them and which external casing is good not the too costly ones

Just to give you guys a heart attack ..... I bought a USB casing yesterday - the Vantec NexStar 3 - for a measly sum of 2,500/- :O ..... yeah I know you guys must think I am mad.... but after having problems with 3 cheaper USB cases I gave up and bought the best available as I am putting inside it a 250Gb drive..... AND ....NO ....I AM NOT RICH !! :( I just got fed up with the cheap cases giving me trouble.

I asked today at Lamington road the prices for 2.5" drives and was given a price of 40GB for 3500/- and 80GB for 6000/-. In 3.5" drives I got a price for a Hitachi 80Gb for 2550/-

from my personal experience (if u go for notebook hdd.. which is actually a good idea)

stay far far away from hitachi (as this subcontinental ambient temp will kill it soon, i have burnt 2 of those :S .. even with slim fan .. these are known as deathstar instead of deskstar). maxtor ones creates a lot of sound ...

i would suggest WD or seagate. (i am using WD 38gm notebook hdd .. nice performance).

and i totally agree with Eazy ... cheap USB ones will stop working after few days .. even brand new ones will faulter time to time.

bok**** said:
stay far far away from hitachi (as this subcontinental ambient temp will kill it soon, i have burnt 2 of those :S .. even with slim fan .. these are known as deathstar instead of deskstar).

Ahh man !! I think Hitachi drives are the best drives in the market today. I have had a Hitachi 3.5" drive in a USB case for about 2 years - I have dropped the case and abused it in all ways possible and yet the drive is working perfectly ....and no bad sectors. But you are talking about the 2.5" Hitachi's of which I dont have any experience as my 2 2.5" dives are a Seagate and a Toshiba. May be just bad luck for you that 2 Hitachi's died. I suppose if 2 drives died on me I too would be mighty upset like I am with Maxtors. IMHO They are a good brand to buy now ..... and they are normally NOT known to be DEATHSTARs ....those were the IBMs of which brand I now have 2 paper weights :)

yogi1771 said:
hi members how is this product TECH-COM USB 2.0 to IDE Cable can it be used with sata hard drives

I bought this cable and it worked fine for a week and then the dreaded start/stop cycles during large file copying started. :(

I also have the R-Driver II USB to IDE cable which I bought locally for 650/- - this cable handles both 3.5" and 2.5" drives. This is a bit slower then the TechCom cable but it works without any problems. Here is a review on this cable...

http://www.dansdata.com/rdriver.htm

Back