PC Peripherals extra long (4-5 m) surge protector?

silverbyte

Disciple
hi guys,
I want to get a surge protector from my nearest outlet to near my sofa. Now all the belkin and powersafe ones are 1.5 -2 m in length, which is too short for me.

Can someone recommend a decent brand which will cover 4-5 meters ? I know it may not be the best, but something will have to do.

If you do not get one with long wire (which you should i think), then may be buy 2 surge protectors.

Wall - surge protector 1 (with less pins) - main surge protector.

Or take the main protector to a electrician shop, let him open the plug and you get that wire extended yourself and attach the plug back to the extended end.

I see that ebay has "Super Pro" surge protector of 5 meter length (link here) . Previous searches on TE also brings up mentions that Super Pro is a good mumbai based brand. Can anyone give some feedback on this ?

I bought a regular surge protector, opened it up and rewired it with a thicker cord that was exactly as long as I needed. An electricician should be able to help you, the cord, plug and electrician should cost you a couple hundred bucks.

I just made one today with su kam power guard 16 amp surge protector with nano voltage regulator...

The device costs 700 odd on ebay, 5 m heavy duty wire - 300 odd, n switches as many as you like with a pvc switch box - 200 odd minimum and ll cost more as pwr req... And the glee of a successful Do-it-yourself project - Priceless :cool:

Can someone recommend a decent brand which will cover 4-5 meters? I know it may not be the best, but something will have to do.
Electric codes require receptacle within 6 feet of every part of the wall. Extension cords (or power strip with more than 2 m cable) are intended only for temporary service; not for permanent operation that you might be considering. Codes and 2 m cables are to encourage you to install a wall receptacle where one should have existed. Power strips without protector parts and with the always required circuit breaker are better.

Daisy chaining power strips is also a human safety problem.

Electric codes require receptacle within 6 feet of every part of the wall. Extension cords (or power strip with more than 2 m cable) are intended only for temporary service; not for permanent operation that you might be considering. Codes and 2 m cables are to encourage you to install a wall receptacle where one should have existed. Power strips without protector parts and with the always required circuit breaker are better.

Daisy chaining power strips is also a human safety problem.
you are right - however I live in a rental house. The houseowner will not not give permission to make new receptacles. Which is why I was very interested in the best/safest way to achieve this.
@Raghav_K - could you post a pic of your setup ? I am not able to grok what you mean. Is your config the safest possible config ?

I just checked the Sukam 16amp powerguard - how does that thing work ? it has a wire coming out of it, but where does a plug go in !!

Last edited:
Go to a local fellow, get a extension box done. Avoid Daisy chain. I feel it wont suit the need, plugs may be wasted etc. Do it in near the AV rack if u want though.

@silverbyte : the back has to be opened and wires from the custom made extension box inserted into it... A plug has to be attached to wire coming outtta the sukam[DOUBLEPOST=1385519767][/DOUBLEPOST]@silverbyte
this setup contains a surge protecttor plus nano stablilizer, so i consider it's safe... i have put heavy duty wires as it's for my treadmill...
IMG_20131127_080045.jpg

Last edited:
Back