Storage Solutions Fast Performance Internal 1 TB HDD

adikumar2010

Disciple
I was using 750GB WD Black Cavier in my desktop which stopped working. My desktop is 5 years old, so I don't want to buy very expensive new internal HDD/SSD coz in few months desktop components will start to die out like CPU, Motherboard, GPU, etc.. 1 by 1. And I don't have plan to rebuild it or upgrade.

I want to buy a HDD which is fast & can be used with laptop later on (by buying casing and adapter) as my plan is to buy new gaming laptop after my desktop dies. Can you plz recommend me 1 TB HDD with high transfer speeds. Budget is around 4k.

If you wish to continue using the drive in a laptop then you can buy a laptop drive (mech or ssd) now itself and use a hard disk mounting bracket (about rs. 100 to 350) until the desktop dies.
also, when you migrate your drive from the desktop to a laptop and it's being used as the primary drive, then you will have to format it so your data will need to be backed up elsewhere.
i should point out that the laptop will already have a hard disk in it so don't ignore the ssd option as it can be used in place of an optical drive (in tandem with a traditional drive) in a laptop.

If you wish to continue using the drive in a laptop then you can buy a laptop drive (mech or ssd) now itself and use a hard disk mounting bracket (about rs. 100 to 350) until the desktop dies.
also, when you migrate your drive from the desktop to a laptop and it's being used as the primary drive, then you will have to format it so your data will need to be backed up elsewhere.
i should point out that the laptop will already have a hard disk in it so don't ignore the ssd option as it can be used in place of an optical drive (in tandem with a traditional drive) in a laptop.

The gaming laptop that I will buy will have SSD 128/256GB for OS booting and all. If I buy laptop HDD 2.5". Can I use that in the laptop? Or can I convert it into USB portable external drive buy putting it in a casing (not sure if SATA can be converted into USB port) and buying power adaptor for it. What's the best solution ?

And which one will be the best 2TB HDD for laptop which I can use in my deskop temporarily with the help of mounting brackets for 1-2 years

If I buy laptop HDD 2.5". Can I use that in the laptop? Or can I convert it into USB portable external drive buy putting it in a casing (not sure if SATA can be converted into USB port) and buying power adaptor for it.

1. Yes, any standard 2.5" drive should work in a laptop.
2. yes, it can be put in an external case and used as a usb drive. the cases are around 250-500 bucks. you won't face issues with sata to usb. it might not even require a power adapter.
3. the other option would be to remove the optical drive from the laptop and put the hdd in it's place.
3. hitachi, wd and seagate are reliable brands for mech. laptop drives. final choice will depend on price and availability.

personal opinion: since your drive will initially be the primary drive (in the desktop) you'll want to get a 7200 rpm drive but most laptop drives are 5400 rpm.
1-2 years down the line when you get your laptop i would suggest you convert it to an external drive with a case. very versatile and can be used to play stuff off your tv, car etc.
putting it in the laptop makes sense if you really need all that space just for the laptop (for work etc).

also, if you are having trouble getting a 7200 2.5" drive (or they're too expensive) or you've already decided on keeping it as an external drive then, you can get a regular 3.5" desktop drive and put it in a usb case after the desktop dies.
be advised, the larger desktop drive will never fit in a laptop and it might require a usb case with a power adapter to be used externally.

WD Blue 3.5-inch comes with RPM 7200, whereas the WD Blue 2.5-inch comes with an RPM of 5400.

To take the advantage of using it as an external storage "once you buy your laptop in the future," it would be great if you can buy the laptop with an eSATA port. You can buy an enclosure with the eSATA connector to use a hard drive for it's maximum performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back