PC Peripherals Faulty psu( 550w glacialtech) or power cable

De alchemist

Disciple
I got a x1950pro pci-e on a glacialtech 550w psu. i have been using this for a week now.

In morning i turned on my pc and it restarted after booting into windows. After this my display went blank while my pc was still powering up succesfully.

So i tightened a few cables and PC rebooted again with display but i saw smoke coming out from my cable and it started burning at the joint where it goes into psu. I switched of the pc from mains to prevent any damage.

Now i have got a burnt power cable, but what can be the cause of this ? the cable or psu?

Should i try and still power on my pc wid a different cable or get the psu changed?

Also my card is on US warranty so cannot try booting on wid da card for sure now.

Has anyone faced a similar problem??

I got the psu frm smc nehru place and on the word of smc guy that its a solid psu (CM600w was out of stock) and it cost me 3.5k.

Help , help ,help

See if you can start the psu, remove it from the comp, use a new cable and short 2 pins( search googlefor which pins). if it starts, u can be pretty sure the psu is okay.

I had the same problem with my old 9700 Pro. It happened right before my card died after overheating problems. Lots of poeple online seem to have similar problems with the x1950Pro (I was looking to buy one, but decided not to after reading about these). Look on the forums on Rage3D [ati enthusiast forums], I think there were a few fixes.

Back