FCC: "Broadband" in US now means 4Mb/s down, 1Mb/s up

kolguy

Adept
Continuing its push to deliver high-speed Internet to Americans, the FCC has redefined what constitutes a "broadband" connection. For more than a decade, download rates of 200Kb/s or better qualified as a broadband service, but that benchmark has been substantially increased to 4Mb/s downstream and 1Mb/s upstream. The commission believes those are minimum speeds essential for using today's "video-rich broadband applications and services, while retaining sufficient capacity for basic web browsing and email."

source

Interesting development ... will this make the other governments revise there existing policies ?

Re: "Broadband" now means 4Mb/s down, 1Mb/s up

if you look our country's broadband policy it states that 256 kb/s is minimum to be considered as broadband ... now i cant but draw a parallel with what the USA's policy was until its changed as shown in that article ... so drawing a similar parallel will our government be forced do something similar ? maybe not the now ... but in the near future...,

Reading thread title, I thought TRAI had come out with new specs regarding India's broadband policy. what a misleading title. :(

6pack said:
Reading thread title, I thought TRAI had come out with new specs regarding India's broadband policy. what a misleading title. :(
i know, it fcuking exited me too :(

Aman27deep said:
i know, it fcuking exited me too :(
Why would it excite you ? Even when TRAI made 256 kbps the benchmark , airtel still had 64kbps plans . They just didnt advertised that as broadband , but as 'high speed internet' . So it wont matter what is the benchmark .

Back