Budget 90k+ Feedback on HP Omen 2020 and other ~1L gaming laptops

Stronk

Adept
Looking to buy a high end laptop which can game and also has decent battery life at around 1L mark, but saw that the Omen en0037AX is available for 1.2L on flipkart.

Specs as follows:
4800H
2060 115W
2X8GB 3200Mhz RAM
1TB NVMe
70Wh Battery
144hz 300nit 100% sRGB display

Is it worth extending budget by 20k and getting this? I need a laptop with HDMI 2.0 so MSI GP65 AND GL65 are out, tho they have similar/better specs at lower price. Would prefer AMD over Intel, tho not a hard rule. Need 16GB RAM, don’t want to bother with upgrading anything in the short term. Also have to purchase this within a week, can't wait for any new releases unfortunately. Any other suggestions in this price range welcome. Screen quality is also important since I will be doing some amateur phot and video editing.

HP Omen owners also please chime in about how what you like/dislike about your device, would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Here's an alternative:

ACER Helios 300: https://www.flipkart.com/acer-preda...27_60a23ab3411381734_65&affExtParam2=inrdeals

You can get this for 1.16L at the same time it has a better GPU and intel so should bode well with any video production software or image editing software compared to AMD.
As for battery, its alright and but theres alot of storage you get instead.

Also no need to spend 20K more for the 2060, HP does have a good service and after service network through out india, so you should have a good experience for the same. Anything from HP, Apple, Dell you need not worry about the laptops at all.

Here's an alternative:

ACER Helios 300: https://www.flipkart.com/acer-preda...27_60a23ab3411381734_65&affExtParam2=inrdeals

You can get this for 1.16L at the same time it has a better GPU and intel so should bode well with any video production software or image editing software compared to AMD.
As for battery, its alright and but theres alot of storage you get instead.

Also no need to spend 20K more for the 2060, HP does have a good service and after service network through out india, so you should have a good experience for the same. Anything from HP, Apple, Dell you need not worry about the laptops at all.
Ah, thanks for this. Somehow completely missed this in my search. Yeah this does seem a much better deal than the HP except for the battery life, since it has a smaller battery and Intel is anyway less efficient than ryzen 4k and 5k mobile for battery life. But it seems a fair trade-off for the specs. Plus since this has only 1X16GB RAM I can plonk in a spare 8GB stick I have, albeit at 2666mhz and not 3200. Still, I think 2666mhz dual channel will perform better than 3200 single channel.
Thanks for replying!

I've had this machine for almost 10 months now and its been pretty good for me, i mainly use it for video editing, photoshop and 3d renders, along with the occasional gaming.
The fans get super loud but it has much better cooling compared to the acer and probably every other alternative out there. My temps are usually around 75c under heavy load. This was the biggest draw since most laptops are pained by cooling issues and tend to crap out after 3-4 years - which is a fair amount of time if you'd want to upgrade by then.
The display gets bright enough and is colour accurate for content creation and the 2060 does a good job of making use of that 144hz screen.
I like the keyboard too after I got used to it, the typing experience is much better than my 2013 alienware fwiw.

Add to that, the easy expandability of the ram and ssd, since it has 2 m.2 slots. I've been getting some decent battery life, about 4-5 hours of mixed use typically, at 70% brightness.
I also got the 2 year extended warranty bundled with my purchase, which made it an easier buy vs the g14 i was considering at the time.

Two things I do not like:
1. The hinge design seems like it will fail or give issues within 2-3 years. I already have the right side creaking every time i close the lid - this takes away from the premium feel - there's small gaps around the hinges that allow dust and debris to get in and not really super easy to clean.. I've been quite annoyed by this and will probably contact support and get it ironed out - i hate shitty hinges and kind of miss the solid tank like quality of my old alienware (dont miss the bulk though)
2. The speaker output is super low - my phone's audio output is louder... this is quite noticeable when watching netflix or youtube / souncluod (the audio is mastered differently for different uploads but its an issue more often than not).

It's also not a super premium build, just fyi, the top and display housing is plastic, while the keyboard deck and bottom are aluminium - although there is no chassis flex as such - but its not that super premium build you'd get from a top of the line asus or dell.
Also doesnt have thunderbolt support if thats important to you.

So to answer your question - yeah i'd pay 20k over the acer to get this, especially with the r7 being a major upgrade over the intel for my use case - it is supremely quick and power efficient, and pairs well with the 2060. No real bottlenecks and a clear upgrade path down the line - planning to add another m.2 nvme and upgrading to 32gigs of ram down the line. hp support is also quite hassle free

EDIT : Just saw that the acer comes with a 3060, personally i'd still get the r7 over the 10th gen intel as that matters more to me for my use case - i dont really care about those extra framerates and also don't trust acer customer support with my 1L+ purchase

Last edited:
Ah, thanks for this. Somehow completely missed this in my search. Yeah this does seem a much better deal than the HP except for the battery life, since it has a smaller battery and Intel is anyway less efficient than ryzen 4k and 5k mobile for battery life. But it seems a fair trade-off for the specs. Plus since this has only 1X16GB RAM I can plonk in a spare 8GB stick I have, albeit at 2666mhz and not 3200. Still, I think 2666mhz dual channel will perform better than 3200 single channel.
Thanks for replying!
Not a problem at all! Right now ryzen chips are battery efficient no two doubts about it but unless you're comparing 5000 series to 11th gen, it doesn't make real sense, at the same time 10th gen chips are still really efficient/compatible with a range of more software's such as premiere which might be of good use to you. Personally I'd rather pop in an another 16gb RAM stick for 32gb total working in dual channel, youll see a good uplift in performance in apps that consume alot of memory (again premiere is a good example).

@weatherman @Sammoka thank you both for your valuable inputs, much appreciated. After taking into account all things, I think I I'll go for the Acer after all. I've had really positive experiences with their service center (which seems contrary to everyone else's experience on the internet), and the sheer value provided by it is hard to beat. The 8c16t Intel, tho no match for the Ryzen, will be more than enough for my needs, and I know for a fact that GPU is more required for my purposes. I'd have loved it if the Nitro 5 5800H and RTX 3060 variant was available, I'd have gone for that purely because I am a bit of an AMD fan boy, but again, the value is hard to beat. And with my 9750H laptop and 50Wh battery I get about 3-4hrs battery life for my use, o hopefully the 60wh battery should be a slight upgrade if nothing else. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Forgot tp update this thread: purchased the Helios a few days ago, awaiting delivery but looks like it'll be delayed :(

Last edited:
great choice, cant beat a 3060. enjoy the framerates!
Thanks dude, you too! Also I found that a few a weeks ago I could have got the 4800H + 2060 Omen for 95k on HP's website (including some cashback). If that was the price a few days ago as well I'd have loved to to go for it, but alas I cannot wait. Still kinda having second thoughts about rejecting delivery and going for the upcoming G15 with Ryzen 5000 and 3060 but I also know I can't afford the downtime as well so probably not XD

Back