Branch Manager
Staff member
Patron
Will let the pics do the talking :p

The initial shot :D

Behold the Canon EOS 30 aka Elan 7E

My primary cameras : EOS 7D and EOS 30

The baby 450D with the big boys :p

So the question...why a film SLR in this age of digital cameras? Well I first started out with a Canon T50, which is ancestral property in our family :D had a nice learning experience with it, since it was a totally manual camera. Set exposure, manual focus and then click. You learn a LOT with a film camera since there is very less margin for error and it is expensive to get it wrong :p Well thats my opinion, others may disagree :p

Plus there is another point. You take pics, too lazy to get em printed. Take pics on film, get them developed and they stay woth you forever. Oh no, my HDD crashed! all my pics are gone :mad: Nope, no in this case :p

uve got too much money to waste, either get married or buy some property instead of blowing it away like the image in ur sig :p

Better lens will follow, starting with a EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM. Wanted a Film Body very badly, so bought one. The 450D will be sold off soon. Had 2 450D bodies and finally overcame my laziness and sold one :p

Well since this is a film SLR, this camera is approximately 9 years old :p plus it was cheaper than the cheapest used DSLR :p so don't flame me for buying expensive stuff :lol:

I bought it after seeing even though the camera was ~9 years old, the owner had all accessories and the camera was in mint condition! Didn't mind paying a so called premium on a used camera :lol: Its a one-owner cam who was a german and the camera was bought in Germany. The manual is in German :| but the buy was thoughtful to give me the english manuals in a SD card with the cam :D although I had already downloaded it from the Canon site :p

Got a bigger eyecup for taking portraits and a battery pack with the cam. Damn using the battery grip is soooo much more better while taking portraits :D tempted to get the Battery grip for the 7D as well :D

blufox said:
Congrats Sunny :).

Why so many APC-S DSLRs?
Why don't you buy a Full frame DSLR? May be 5d Mark II?

5DM2 out of my reach :ashamed: I really wanted to buy the 5DM2, but when I went to the shop and asked for prices, saw the 5DM2 was 50K costlier. So went for the 7D and a 32K lens :p

multi said:
we all TEians know that you can't click all 3 in 1 moment , so how about giving remaining 2 to us :ashamed:

Heh :p i'll be using them together. First try n see how picture comes on the digital, after finalising settings click with film :D

apollyon said:
congo sunns.
just out of curiosity, can we get larger prints from a film slr compared to a normal film pns cam?

I think you can! Since you can fit much better lens on the SLRs than in PnS the quality will obviously be better. Apart from that, some people use High quality films and scan the negatives and get ~22megapixel pic from the negatives (4000dpi). With the high quality films, the pic looks really good and so blowing up will not be a problem.

@Apo - yes you can. Have been messing with my dad's older Pentax SLR. As sunny pointed out, you need a good negative scanner though.

SunnyBoi said:
Better lens will follow, starting with a EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM. Wanted a Film Body very badly, so bought one. The 450D will be sold off soon. Had 2 450D bodies and finally overcame my laziness and sold one :p

Congrats mate.

And a new version of the lens you have mentioned is just out. :p

apollyon said:
congo sunns.
just out of curiosity, can we get larger prints from a film slr compared to a normal film pns cam?

I'd say it depends. A film P&S and a film SLR generally use the same film, so you can print just as big from a film P&S. But as SunnyBoi pointed, the lens on a film P&S will not be as good as the lens you can use on a film SLR. So no point blowing up. That said, film prints are generally classier. :)

Back