Fiber Optics Connection quality help

iosoft

PC enthusiast since MS DOS 5
Skilled
Friends,

I am thinking of changing my CAT cable of my Cable Internet to Fiber Optics.
The Local cable operator is asking for 3000/- for equipment(s) and Fiber Optics Cable. Is it ok?

I am ok with it but I have a serious concern.
Like most cable operators, my operator also try to use THE cheapest quality equipment(s) and specially Cable.

My question -
  • How to know if the cable quality is good enough?
  • They do have some kind of Digital meter that they personally use to test the cables.
    If so, how to read the numbers? What number range it should be?
(Distance is just opposite of a 4-lane road)

It will be a great help for your suggestion.

No other option. Its India.
Why you want to change?
Also if you could take detail from your provider...what type of cable will he be putting? End Device and connector type? and have you researched something that you want in particular just whatever he provides?

i give you a simple logic : good quality cat 5e upto cat 6 cable are rated for 1gbps and when you say fiber i doubt that any ISP gives a internet over fiber above 1 gbps speed excluding enterprise customer.

use of fiber is only advisable at long range/distance and above 1 gbps.

what is your internet plan

Friends,

I am thinking of changing my CAT cable of my Cable Internet to Fiber Optics.
The Local cable operator is asking for 3000/- for equipment(s) and Fiber Optics Cable. Is it ok?

I am ok with it but I have a serious concern.
Like most cable operators, my operator also try to use THE cheapest quality equipment(s) and specially Cable.

My question -
  • How to know if the cable quality is good enough?
  • They do have some kind of Digital meter that they personally use to test the cables.
    If so, how to read the numbers? What number range it should be?
(Distance is just opposite of a 4-lane road)

It will be a great help for your suggestion.
What's the distance? Also afait 3k with cable laying and equipment is good enough....but try haggling with him.

Back