Car & Bike First bike for a first time biker. Budget: 15k

Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a bike (geared) just so that I can learn how to ride a bike. I was hoping you guys can give me suggestions since I have no idea what is a good bargain at 15k for a second hand bike.

I want to buy a second hand bike since I am only going to use it for learning purposes and not on a regular basis. I thought about joining a driving school but I can't find any in Mumbai where they teach you to ride bikes. If any of you'll know of such a school than I'll join that instead....I'm ready to pay.

FYI, I know how to ride a car and a scooter, so it shouldn't be too hard for me to learn.

Further, it will be helpful if you guys can give me some tips on buying a second hand bike in terms of what is a good deal for 15k (mileage, condition etc whatever I should look for).

Thanks a lot!

:)

what are you planning to jump to after you "learn". If you are just going to get a normal commuter bike, then buy that now itself. If you are just learning, borrow/steal a bike from a friend for about an hour a day. Do you have any specific reason for buying a bike?

15k will get you a old-ish boxer/splendor/any generic commuter.

That's the thing. None of my friends living close by have a damn bike :(

Reason for buying a bike: I'm going to be going abroad soon to study (where it will be a while before I get a valid licence) so I want to learn to ride a bike here itself before I go.

How many years old boxer/splendor/commuter will I get you think and from where can I buy?

Yamaha RX100 :D Though, it might be too powerful for your needs. The best thing about this bike is that it will retain its value when you plan to sell it again.

I would suggest a Hero Honda Splendour. You can get a 2003-2008 model in that budget; depends on where and who you buy it from.

For learning purpose I will recommend Rx100 as the last option considering its pick-up and acceleration.

If you don`t have friends to borrow their bike I suggest contact any near by 4 wheeler driving school ask them to arrange 2 wheeler for your training.

They can surely do that

^^I learnt to ride on my father's RX100. It is powerful for its size, sure, but it will also teach you control. Many learn to ride on motorbikes far powerful than RX100. Learning how to control clutch and gear mechanism, along with the acceleration, while riding, taking turns, and during idling, should be the things he should be mainly concentrating on. Other things to learn are braking and counter steering.

Last edited:
You plan to ride bike (motorcycle) abroad and hence you want to learn ?
Not even sure if motorcycles are used as commuter mode of transport, mostly people use cars.

^^I learnt to ride on my father's RX100. It is powerful for it's size, sure, but it will also teach you control. Many learn to ride on motorbikes far powerful than RX100. Learning how to control clutch and gear mechanism, along with the acceleration, while riding, taking turns, and during idling, should be the things he should be mainly concentrating on. Other things to learn are braking and counter steering.

As per controlling 2 stroke bike makes it harder, and that too for beginners it will be much harder.

As per controlling 2 stroke bike makes it harder, and that too for beginners it will be much harder.
Most two-strokes are lighter than four-stroke bikes, which makes it easier to control them. If you are talking about the power, RX100 isn't that big a beast. Only in comparison to its competition it is more powerful. But overall, it is very much controllable by even a beginner.

If he is planning to ride a motorbike in a foreign country, almost all the vehicles he will come across will be far more powerful than a simple RX100.

@blkrb0t @Vagabond
Thanks for the replies. I will try and find a 2nd hand RX100.

@raksrules
It may be a while before I get my licence abroad so I want to learn here itself. Nothing more.

EDIT:
I am getting a suzuki fiero 2001 model 9000 km at 15k. Any comments?

Last edited:
Go with someone experienced and ask for a test ride. Check handling, gear shift, tyres, brakes, and general condition of the bike. Also, check the documents carefully before buying it. It's a great deal if everything checks out.

Go with someone experienced and ask for a test ride. Check handling, gear shift, tyres, brakes, and general condition of the bike. Also, check the documents carefully before buying it. It's a great deal if everything checks out.
Going with a mechanic :) Will definitely check the papers.

Which country are you going to? US and Europe have very strict (and expensive) paths to get a motorcycle license, if US, then you can take the Motorcycle safety foundation course there. In Europe you will anyway have to go through a driving school before a license test. If you are so inclined read "Twist of the wrist" by keith code to get the fundamentals of riding clear.

Back