First smartphone

hatter

Skilled
Well, finally took the plunge. Some pics (I know the quality is not too good, but I was in a hurry)

Only Indians are getting the pouch

So far so good: Yet to play with the phone but so far it seems alright. Fast, brilliant screen and very light. For now charging it. Also bought MTNL's 3G pre-paid. will configure it tonight and buy a data card tomorrow. Somewhat better hands-on will come only then.

As far as plasticky build is concerned, the back cover is, ahem, not good. Finishing is fine and it feels strong. But that grip is not there, and neither is the feel of "that's some solid material". Retards who designed it and even bigger retards who cleared it for the market.

Now folks, this is my first Android so tell me what I have need to do and what I don't. Secondly, for how long should I charge. I have heard first charge should be for around 4 hours. Third, has anyone know of any scratch guard available for Galaxy S.

Thanks guys!

And now a little bit of hands-on:

* The screen is really good. Indoors it's awesome even at less than 50% brightness. Outdoors, it's usable. colours are vivid, viewing angles very good.

* The phone is fast even with live wallpapers. But there is a quirk or two. Sometimes there is this hint of lag (tiny bit) but I noticed it. It doesn't happen in any particular manner. Sometimes it's just there, sometimes it's not. I believe it's some issue with memory management. And I don't think it's a deal breaker. It's very minor lag. Froyo update should set it right.

* Still using EDGE and so far battery life is great. Charged it 100% last night. Since then it has come down to 70%. In between I played lots of videos and played with the phone a bit.

* There was this funny problem with video playback last night. It lagged in big way (files were MP4 and AVI) ... no artifact or distortion but the video just lagged and fell out of sync with voice. I had made up my mind to return it and get another piece but today all videos played without any lag and without any Sync issue. I believe when you add a media file, the phone starts to scan it. this takes some time and if you play something when scanning is going on, the playback is less than perfect. Also I must add that videos were of decent resolution. In one case (Burn-E) it was of higher resolution than 720P

* Can't find Data card for MTNL 3G so it will take a few days before I can really push this phone.

* Sound quality is good with bundled in-ear set.

* Swype is fantastic. But samsung's virtual keypad is good too. Coming from the typical cellphone keypad, I had no problem with sms or writing notes.

* iBook reader is good and fonts etc very clear.
* Still feels plasticky. can't help it. also, I am also not comfortable with the size. First big phone
* Samsung Kies S*CKS. I wonder why companies can't make a decent sync software... even iTunes is so bloated.

* The spot where Google is written on the back of the phone, is always a little hot. Not uncomfortable or alarming but you can feel it when you hold the phone, especially when everything in the room is hot to touch due to the ambient temp of over 30 degrees.

NOTE: Delhi peeps tell me where I can find MTNL data card for 3G. I have the SIM but no data card

Congrats man! :D

The AMOLED screen looked gorgeous when I tried the device at an outlet. Sadly the pics won't do justice. :p

Desecrator said:
Congrats man! :D

The AMOLED screen looked gorgeous when I tried the device at an outlet. Sadly the pics won't do justice. :p
Thanks! Yes, pics don't do justice to SuperAMOLED

@ Ov3rLoRd: Tried one Sanchar Haat but let alone selling one, they don't even had a clue about the data card. Or may be I asked the wrong persons.

^
Try at main branches not every branch have it. you can get it from following add for sure ( i get from there)-

1. Main Idgah Tele Exchange Building Faiz Road.Delhi-55

2.Gate No.-04 Back side of Karol Bagh main Tele.Exchange Building
Puaha Road New Delhi

Back