Fitness Band / Activity tracker in 2021?

Ramadhir Singh

Wasseypur
Adept
Is it worth looking for activity tracker in 2021 or just get apple watch and call it a day ?

one of my known (not much techie) had some experience using some cheap band his company gifted.
Now stared jogging and all, and is looking for fitness band, his main requirement are -
1. step/distance calculator
2. heart rate monitor (good to have)
3. oxygen level (good to have)

no other bells and whistle requires. I don't have much information to suggest him anything, hence asking.
seems has seen fitbit in showroom, and didn't quite like it (not sure which model but said not able to find price justification).

I had already asked him to check garmin vivoactive.
do we have any dedicated pedometer available in India or a simple activate tracker which could sync with phone with easy to use app.

Iknow, it's not a easy decision. i have been or at least I have Mi band(s), Amazfit watch(s), garmin and now kinda struck in Apple watch. Believe me, no one can make a decision for you. Just keep it simple.

Say if you are core runner or cyclist then may be Garmin Series would be recomended (iOS/Android)
Say you are casual runner and in Android devices are your way to go, simple any devices like any Entry level Garmin/Amazit/Sporta watch would do.
Say you are in Apple ecosystem, it's hard for me to change, once you fall in love with Apple Watch... i'ts totally worth it. you could still buy SE / SEries 3

But don't want to put money and still looking for something. "Band" doesn't matter 2021 or 2022 or 2030. Money matters
My 2 cents
Iyengar

If you're into fitness, Garmin. If you want a Smart Watch and are fully invested in the Apple Ecosystem - Apple Watch. If you want a Smart Watch and are an Android User, maybe Samsung/Fossil or any of the myriad of choices there. They all have their pros and cons.

I decided I needed to get fit and went with Garmin. It's not a great Smart Watch but it's an amazing fitness watch.
If you're looking for a simple pedometer, try the Garmin Vivosmart 4. It's well priced, it works as advertised and the Garmin Connect app has been pretty decent if you're looking for good data.

looks like some garmin watch is selected.

even i'm thinking to get the hybrid version for myself sometime in near future - when swimming pools are opened.
Good choice. It's seriously professional grade stuff. You can start with a band around 12k and go all the way up to watches that cost well over a lakh and a half. I went with the Venu, a comprise between smart watch and fitness watch but mostly because I wanted the Amoled screen. In hindsight though I might have chosen a Forerunner 945 instead with the always on display. It's close to double the price though at 52k. Makes the Apple Watch look like a toy lol.

Good choice. It's seriously professional grade stuff. You can start with a band around 12k and go all the way up to watches that cost well over a lakh and a half. I went with the Venu, a comprise between smart watch and fitness watch but mostly because I wanted the Amoled screen. In hindsight though I might have chosen a Forerunner 945 instead with the always on display. It's close to double the price though at 52k. Makes the Apple Watch look like a toy lol.
I don’t agree. Apple Watch is no toy. Venu has . The display itself is so bad that forget outdoor; indoor visual is bad too with full brightness. Apple Watch are industry standards and you can’t argue with that. A true hybrid if you’re in apple ecosystem. Just because we love a brand or model; it doesn’t mean we can bash other bands.

I don’t agree. Apple Watch is no toy. Venu has . The display itself is so bad that forget outdoor; indoor visual is bad too with full brightness. Apple Watch are industry standards and you can’t argue with that. A true hybrid if you’re in apple ecosystem. Just because we love a brand or model; it doesn’t mean we can bash other bands.

Not comparing screens. If you look at the 1.4 lakh Marq series from Garmin, they use a transflective always on screen, readable in daylight and sorta in the dark, and super low resolution. Battery lasts for weeks sometimes though. If you look at the Instinct Solar series, some people have charged once and used for months without charging. Apple Watch won't last 2 days tops if you're lucky. Garmin is not a smart watch, they're a fitness watch. If you actually looked into the features offered on the Forerunner 945 series or the Fenix line, you'd see it's for people into fitness and not those looking for a lifestyle gadget. The Apple Watch also does fitness but at a rather lifestyle level. Not triathlons or setting yourself up for an Iron Man competition. For some, pixels and screen resolution matter, for others never charging your device, using Firstbeats algorithms, Garmins features matter more. Like I said from the beginning, if you're in the Apple Eco system, your best and mostly only choice is Apple Watch. Nothing else will even work well with Apple. If you're on Android, there are tons of great choices if you're looking for a Smart Watch. If you want to really work out and focus on fitness, nothing compares to Garmin and people like that have different priorities in their decision making process. For them the Apple Watch would not do.

Dude calm down, he simply said " Makes the Apple Watch look like a toy", which is wildly different from saying "Apple Watch is a toy". No one is denying how good the Apple Watch is, especially for Apple users. Heck, even Linus (from LTT) keeps an iPhone solely for using the Watch. But the point being made there was that if someone is focused solely on fitness, and is willing to spend big bucks, Garmin is a much better choice than Apple. No one is bashing Apple, just stating the facts.

I use a cheap last generation mi band and it's there 24*7 in my wrist, walking, running, cycling, swimming, mild weight training...love how narrow it is, blends perfectly with the 4/5 bracelets I'm forced to wear ( don't ask me... according to my wife each of them protect me from weird things)

Dude calm down, he simply said " Makes the Apple Watch look like a toy", which is wildly different from saying "Apple Watch is a toy". No one is denying how good the Apple Watch is, especially for Apple users. Heck, even Linus (from LTT) keeps an iPhone solely for using the Watch. But the point being made there was that if someone is focused solely on fitness, and is willing to spend big bucks, Garmin is a much better choice than Apple. No one is bashing Apple, just stating the facts.

Thanks, yeah I wasn't bashing Apple at all. For most people around, if they're using Apple, the Apple Watch is a no brainer. If you're however keen on data and metrics when it comes to heavy training with goals in mind, Garmin is the cream of the crop. There are also tons of fitness focussed watches too that compete with Garmin, DC Rainmaker is your go to guy for information on fitness watches. Peace man, I for one am happy with the metrics my Venu offers. If I start training for a triathlon, I'll upgrade to a Forerunner 945 or Fenix Pro Solar. Those are the sheeez!

Back