Storage Solutions Formatting a SD card ? Don't.

Well its faster to format a USB drive than to delete all the files for copying new ones. Have been doing this long. My 4GB Kingston bought back in 2008 still works without any issues.

I do quick formats on my pen drives once in a while.[DOUBLEPOST=1439785560][/DOUBLEPOST]But actually reading the linked article, it makes sense, things like native blocks/pages/alignment of the flash drives can go out of sync, making the drives work "extra hard" in normal usage, wearing them out sooner.

Only the manufacturer will know the "internals" of the SD card. So factory formatting is best.

Any third party software may not be able to match that. Unless the SD card has the necessary info embedded some where.

What I propose is making a Ghost image of the entire SD card as soon as I receive it. If I ever need to format it, I will just restore this image to the SD card. Ghost preserves the file system layout/geometry so restoring the image should yield a SD card like "new". At least that's my guess. This is the first SD card I've bought for my smart phone so I'm a noob.

Linux/Unix guys have been manually formatting SD cards for a while it seems, many articles on the net.

Also see : http://reboot.pro/topic/16783-rmprepusb-faster-fat32-write-access-on-flash-memory-drives/

Back