Found a new way to 'Route' me net

Ank1t

Skilled
Heh not exactly a 'show off' but what the heck..Was looking for a good and cheap router for a new BSNL BB connection that im gonna get and didn't wanna take the Dlink or the Huwaei modem. Chief-Techie showed me the Billion 5200S which used to be given along with the TATA BB. Khimera has used to too. Supposed to be a good strong modem so i decided to check it out. Here are some pics :

Box

Accessories

The modem

PS : Excuse the quality.. Its with my oldd digi cam cuz i don have a data cable for the cell :S

Played around only a little till now. The firmware looks simple and its as easy to use as windows to do some port forwarding etc..

All for a price of Rs. 900 :D

This could be the best bang for the buck modem yet!

Congos...:D

Well im using the Huwaei stuff....the first time i saw that it was Huwaei, i thought its some low-quality POS but its been running fine for 2-3yrs...but it sure does get very heated up in no time...:)

lostinthought said:
Congos...:D

Well im using the Huwaei stuff....the first time i saw that it was Huwaei, i thought its some low-quality POS but its been running fine for 2-3yrs...but it sure does get very heated up in no time...:)

thats the bad part of Huwaei :(

Billion has no Heating prbs afaik :D

I dont understand, why you want to use port forwarding.

Rather make Bridge Connection and add a new PPPoe connection on your PC itself.

It will give your PC a global IP instead of LAN IP provided by adsl modem.

The advantage of such a setup would be a slight increase in speeds since there is no NAT in between your PC and the internet. Works out better for P2P applications like Bittorrent, Limewire, etc., not that they don't work with NAT devices or anything. They do, just that you might just squeeze a few extra Kbps out of the connection with the modem bridged. The obvious disadvantage is that you gotta manually connect to the net when you want to go online since the authentication for the internet connection is done on the PC instead of the modem itself.

The advantage of such a setup would be a slight increase in speeds since there is no NAT in between your PC and the internet. Works out better for P2P applications like Bittorrent, Limewire, etc., not that they don't work with NAT devices or anything. They do, just that you might just squeeze a few extra Kbps out of the connection with the modem bridged. The obvious disadvantage is that you gotta manually connect to the net when you want to go online since the authentication for the internet connection is done on the PC instead of the modem itself.

i havent noticed any real difference in terms of speed between the bridged mode and the pppoe mode....
the only advantage bridged mode seems is that you dont require port forwarding....

Well Bridge connection is always great if you are using

Adsl modem + wi-fi router.

As this lets wi-fi router log in the connection, rather than modem itself.

It is also very positive idea, if you have limited bandwidth connection.

-Raghav

Back