Found PS3 repair guy in Mumbai, but he says he can convert the wireless PS3 to wired only ? Within my budget.

Futureized

Skilled
Hello,
I posted about contact details of people who can repair ps3 slim (with motion controller) few months ago,
Found 1 person who says entire motherboard needs to be changed which shall cost around 5000 to 5500 INR atleast (some IC and other issues).

Another option he said, is converting my wireless ps3 (used for joystick and move motion controller) to wired.. which can cost under 2000.

Not sure, if this is possible to FIX A PS3 by converting/changing from wireless to wired under 2000 inr ?

What would you suggest ?

Your post is not clear, what's broken exactly ? the controller or the console or both ?
If the PS3 motherboard is fried and it's not booting then doing anything to the controller won't fix your PS3.

Only PS3 console is having issues. Rest everything is fine.
As per the technician motherboard issues with IC. Motherboard replacement would cost around 5000 to 5500

He can fix wireless console by changing same to wired control (where i always have to use wires to use controller or move).
This can be done under 2000.

Never heard of this fix, does your console power on ?
Yes it does.
Shows green and red light.
Can hear 1 beeps then 2nd.
Tried to follow everything I could find on web.
Resetting video or hard reset ps3.
But won't work. Tried on few different tvs too.
Cannot see the orange HDD light blinking (it's not booting for sure)

Even i was confused how a console can be repaired by making the same from wireless to wired

See if you're able to find one at CEX. They go for around 8k or 9k and CEX will give you a two year warranty.
Thanks.
I don't want to spend more then 2k now.
Just only need to understand can a wireless console get fixed by turning the same into wired.

Or the technical guy is going to replace the motherboard.. telling me it's the only fix under my budget.

That's the only logical conclusion, isn't it. The technician has a scrap PS3 motherboard with a busted wireless module and is ready to replace that for cheap.

A proper refurb board would still not be available for 5k, so that too would be a salvaged board but with everything functional.

Actually it's not worth getting the console repaired. The failure rate of PS3 is quite small. But if your CONSOLE HAS INDEED died then its better to save some money and buy a used console. Or as suggested by others get it from CEX with warranty.

And if the technician is saying that wireless module is damaged then whats the guarantee that some other component won't also fail after some time.

Suggest you to do a few diagnosis before taking the call.

1. First - Replace hard drive of the PS3. Check if the hard drive is dead. Maybe it's just as a small issues like that.

2. Second - open up the console and replace the CR2032 battery. [There is no warranty in it anyway and worst case scenario is to replace it. So no harm in trying]. The battery is similar to the one used in PC. and sometimes BIOS does not know what to do when the battery is dead. There are plenty of videos for it. It might seem daunting at first, but actually it's not that hard.

3. While you are at it, clean the heatsink, fans and replace the thermal grease.

4. Use a heat gun or if you do not have access to a heat gun then use a hair dryer [set it on max heat mode] and heat up the motherboard. Heat the main IC [the black chips]. Dont be afraid to heat them quite high. The aim is to heat it up so much that solder should melt and make contacts once again. Then let it cool for atleast 30-40 mins.

Try your console after all this. And if the console does not boot even after this then its time to let it rest in peace.

Save up and get a new console.

Thanks joy for great information, I will get my pc hardware friend to help me open and try this above solutions.

About the HDD, I found this on internet:
What hard drive does PS3 Slim use?
Your PS3 Slim uses the same size hard drive a laptop uses, so shop for a 2.5-inch drive instead of the larger 3.5-inch drives found in desktop computers. You also want to make sure you buy a SATA hard drive.15
As i mentioned above, the HDD light is not showing any activity, that may/may not be the issue i assume.
Not sure, which HDD at the cheapest will fit in console, if that is HDD ISSUE.

At present when i turn on power supply of ps3 it shows red light, when i press the same, it turns green and stays there in green color.
or
shows red light first, then green, then red again.

Will get back console from the technician and try the steps, mentioned or give it to Maxcom at Irla .

Will check cex too.
Ty again all members.

Last edited:
Thanks joy for great information, I will get my pc hardware friend to help me open and try this above solutions.

About the HDD, I found this on internet:
What hard drive does PS3 Slim use?
Your PS3 Slim uses the same size hard drive a laptop uses, so shop for a 2.5-inch drive instead of the larger 3.5-inch drives found in desktop computers. You also want to make sure you buy a SATA hard drive.15
As i mentioned above, the HDD light is not showing any activity, that may/may not be the issue i assume.
Not sure, which HDD at the cheapest will fit in console, if that is HDD ISSUE.

At present when i turn on power supply of ps3 it shows red light, when i press the same, it turns green and stays there in green color.
or

Will get back console from the technician and try the steps, mentioned or give it to Maxcom at Irla .

Will check cex too.
Ty again all members.
You can use a regular SATA Laptop hard drive. try to use a small capacity drive. Max 1 TB. but try to use a small capacity one like 320 GB or 500 GB.

- This is normal. This means that everything is working properly. The green light is supposed to lit when the console is on. And it stays on.

- This is once again a sign of either hard drive failure or excess heat in the system. You issues should be solved if you open it an clean it up. My bet is that your hard drive is dead.

One more silly advice is that can you check your HDMI cable. Maybe its just that the cable is gone. try to use another HDMI cable.

MOST SO CALLED TECHNICIAN are crooks in India. They will try to fleece you as max as possible. Very few good ones are there and those guys don't make a whole lot of money [honest guy will fix it for a small price and he wont make a whole lot of money ]

Last edited:
Its been more then 15+ days PS3 technician left the unfixed PS3 today have to collect from shop and try all the fixes suggested above.

@joy.das.jd @pratikb @hellblazer33 @psyph3r
A hardware techy friend helped today.
Opened ps3 cleaned it entirely with blower, cleaned the ps3 mobo with rubbing alcohol.
There was lot of sticky substance on same, I assume the ps3 repair guy might have tried to do something.
He did not open the power unit, it had lot of dust.

This ps3 has onboard HDD, I am not sure how to attach another HDD to same.
I have onboard EMC HDD (dont know how to connect same).
Any further help ?

@joy.das.jd @pratikb @hellblazer33 @psyph3r
A hardware techy friend helped today.
Opened ps3 cleaned it entirely with blower, cleaned the ps3 mobo with rubbing alcohol.
There was lot of sticky substance on same, I assume the ps3 repair guy might have tried to do something.
He did not open the power unit, it had lot of dust.

This ps3 has onboard HDD, I am not sure how to attach another HDD to same.
I have onboard EMC HDD (dont know how to connect same).
Any further help ?
You can still install a HDD. It’s very easy to install an HDD. The onboard storage will be used if your HDD ever fails. On the Supee Slim, you can slide the lid (?) use a bracket to install a HDD. (Bracket sold separately.) or just use a bunch of papers rolled up. :p (did that on my console but would not recommend it.) The PS3 will format the HDD if it isn’t FAT32 (iirc.)

You can still install a HDD. It’s very easy to install an HDD. The onboard storage will be used if your HDD ever fails. On the Supee Slim, you can slide the lid (?) use a bracket to install a HDD. (Bracket sold separately.) or just use a bunch of papers rolled up. :p (did that on my console but would not recommend it.) The PS3 will format the HDD if it isn’t FAT32 (iirc.)
There is a bracker present. Can you guide me to a video to override onboard hdd with new hdd and how to install the ps3 os in same ?
Check attachment.

Attachments

• ps3 hdd socket.jpg
    ps3 hdd socket.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 81
There is a bracker present. Can you guide me to a video to override onboard hdd with new hdd and how to install the ps3 os in same ?
Check attachment.
I’m not sure if it’s a bracket. It’s just a place to put the HDD in. You don’t need to install XMB again. It’s literally plug and play. Put your HDD in and the PS3 should detect it. It’ll most likely format it and it will work on its own. Almost no user input required.

Back