frankmehta gets a new set of portable Laptop speakers: The Altec Lansing BXR 1220

I bought an Acer 5738G last month, (which will soon get a show-off thread of it's own) the speakers of which are appaling to say the least (better than the Dell Studio's, but they are pretty tinny sounding and can hardly be deemed as loud)

I needed speakers to attach and listen to music and play it aloud for a special set of patients. Yes, children. I treat children and when it comes to them, the loud noise of the drill (as we call it popularly) can be pretty unnerving. A set of loud speakers near the operating table would be perfect.

The Altec Lansings fit the bill perfectly and do the job to the T. No regrets, no complaints and absolutely no qualms. One small point to be noted is that these babies get really loud. Louder than my wildest expectations. But the last 20% of volume levels make it distort, crackle and fizzle (clipping signal from the tiny amp in the Acer) Not a problem for me, as it is extremely loud anyways, but still a notice for those who want to bring the house down. If that is what you want, close this window, :no:

Photoos: (Camera: Nokia E72)

08012010247DesktopResolution.jpg

08012010248DesktopResolution.jpg

08012010249DesktopResolution.jpg

08012010250DesktopResolution.jpg

08012010251DesktopResolution.jpg

08012010252DesktopResolution.jpg

08012010253DesktopResolution.jpg

09012010254DesktopResolution.jpg

09012010255DesktopResolution.jpg

09012010256DesktopResolution.jpg

09012010257DesktopResolution.jpg

09012010258DesktopResolution.jpg

09012010261DesktopResolution.jpg

09012010262DesktopResolution.jpg

09012010263DesktopResolution.jpg

09012010264DesktopResolution.jpg

09012010265DesktopResolution.jpg

Waah Frank babu. Naya laptop, naya phone, naya headphones and naya speaker set. Is there more to come? :p

Really mate, have a lot of fun with all your purchases. :)

thank you so much!

third person point of view doesnt imply it's a celebrity or a famous fella. it's just a unique way to recognize my threads. The same way, there are frankmehta... threads on team bhp, E and other forums. It's just a unique writing style.

as for the damages, it was 875 rupees, but the ebay coupon (rs. 200) allowed me to spend just 675 ;-)

Anyone has any idea what are the current prices of these speakers are in the market(not EBay)?

@frankmehta Are these speakers powered by USB?
Did you notice any decrease in battery backup after you started using these speakers with your laptop?

^ Yes they are powered through USB port and as it draws it's power through USB port it will obviously drain your laptop battery faster.

There are some USB powered Logitech speakers (S125 or so - forgot the model no.) which are available in Kolkata for 400 bucks.

frankmehta said:
third person point of view doesnt imply it's a celebrity or a famous fella. it's just a unique way to recognize my threads. The same way, there are frankmehta... threads on team bhp, E and other forums. It's just a unique writing style.
I was curious about this and it made be recall a certain Seinfeld episode which takes it to the extreme for comedic effect :lol:

It's known as an Illeism [fr. L. ille : he, that one, that + Eng. -ism] /IL e ism/

It's interesting you said you worked with children as i guess this form of speech gets used a lot with them.

Now that we've got that out of the way, congrats on your new purchases. I was struck my the shape of the speakers, low but deep rather than the usual tall & shallow in form factor.

Congrats man.

hotshot05 said:
Anyone has any idea what are the current prices of these speakers are in the market(not EBay)?

Got these for my cousin last week from Prime, Mumbai for 725 bucks.

Back