Freecharge charging Rs. 6.25 gst for all bill payments

nRiTeCh

Skilled
I was into shock today tried to pay my electricity bill on freecharge.
Rs. 6.25 got applied on final payment irrespective of mode of payment or gateway.
So immediately deferred it!

Are such sites literally useless now?

1659966896925.png
1659966923875.png

Is this gst new and applicable to paytm, phonepay etc too? Can someone confirm?

Last edited:
Its not 6.25%, its 6.25₹. And I have noticed that phonepe has started charging convenience charges on mobile recharge.
Amazon pay and paytm have no such charges as far as I know.

People still use Freecharge and PhonePay? I thought everyone now uses either PayTM, GPay or Amazon pay only.
Perhaps this is why they are charging extra to cover business costs?

People still use Freecharge and PhonePay? I thought everyone now uses either PayTM, GPay or Amazon pay only.
Perhaps this is why they are charging extra to cover business costs?
Phonepe's really good for managing all bank/UPI accounts and bils in one place, and doesn't constantly upsell other services like PayTM. And Amazon Pay is not available in most sites outside Amazon in my experience.

Freecharge always has offers for existing users while paytm is trash!
Well, what can I say. It's the same situation as Whatsapp and other IM apps. Everyone uses Whatsapp knowing there are better solutions out there.
Once the userbase is hooked they're not changing.

Also 0.5% is convenience fee and GST is 18% on the convenience fee. Rs.6.5 is the extra amount in your case by that calculation not all transactions.

Even paytm is charging such fee now..Though small amount now, may increase over time like % of transaction.. Right now only amazon pay doesn’t charge among the apps I use

Freecharge always has offers for existing users while paytm is trash!
Why not get a good cashback card cc like axis Ace and use it with gpay for 5% cashback.

I saved 5% for this month's electricity bill, mobile recharges. I'll be trying it out for gas payments too this month.

Back