Audio Front satellite speakers in the place of rear??

ramdante

Skilled
HTIB : Onkyo HTS3300
Receiver : Onkyo HT-R380

I ve been using the front satellites provided along with the box, they sound decent, but am looking for a better solution when listening to music.
Suggest me the best bookshelf speaker which will match my Receivers rating and stuff(I dont have much idea about these) , my maximum budget is 10-11k.

Also when I replace the fronts with these new bookshelves, can I replace the rear satellites with the onkyo Front satellites, will it in anyway bring down the quality of the surround while watching movies/ playing games??

Ideally the front speakers need to be timbre matched. Rear speakers are not critical, as they are effects channels and fidelity is not the first goal. You may have to adjust the gain settings to ensure the levels match correctly, if the front and rears aren't similar in sensitivity.

Differences in frequency response that result from mismatched front and rear aren't usually a big deal, at least for me. I don't even run the rear speakers of my Wharfedales, preferring a front-only presentation.

So are ya saying, Timbre matching is only essential for serious audiophiles?
Am most certainly not one, but love the surround sound and effect my onkyo produces.

So will replacing the front with a wharfdale and replacing the rear with the front, make my surround sound experience a bit better but not degrade it ??

Also will it sound weird having two bookshelves as front and the default Onkyo center speaker, like when a conversation happes across the front and center channels, will the sound coming from them be noticeably different?

^^Yes, if you have panning dialogue and depending on how serious the mismatch is, you're possibly going to face an issue.

Only you can decide if it's serious enough to do something about.

thanks cranky :D

Are these bookshelves good and will it match along with my Receiver, will it be a good upgrade over the default front satellites??

* Polk AudioTsi100
* Wharfdale 10.0

The Wharfedale diamond series is a good bet, but I kinda feel its the centre one should upgrade first if movies are the main concern.

The Polk and the Wharfedale sound very different from each other. Both should partner well with the receiver, though the Tsi will go a little lower and louder. The 10.0 is very basic and has no low-end reach. Sonically, the Polk is a little more forward and tends to get harsh when pushed hard. The wharfedales are a little lazy at low levels, but are better when pushed. Unfortunately the 10.0 has only a 4" driver so you can't push it too hard anyway.

I would go with the Polks if those are your only options, but you should add the PSB Alphas into that list.

your best bet will be Tannoy Mercury V1( Book Shelf ) , i own these & they are simply the best , bought it for 14k 5 mnths back, no idea how much it retails now .

I am not sure but I suppose the Alphas have been discontinued since a year or so. I came across this when I enquired the status of a pair of B1 from Lakozy, Delhi.

They must have been smoking something fierce, or doing a regular cover-up for their mucky little operation with PSB (and they do exactly the same with NAD). From PSB's site, today:

Alpha Speakers - PSB Speakers

Just FYI, Lakozy is the most unethical audio dealer on India shores. All they know to do is profiteering from exclusive contracts. You cannot rely on anything they say and Paul will not talk to you, preferring to route direct communication through LK.

That said, the Alpha is probably worth the pain.

They must have been smoking something fierce, or doing a regular cover-up for their mucky little operation with PSB (and they do exactly the same with NAD).

Yeah I did notice that the link for the Alphas were still up on PSB's website. Otherwise, I would assume them to be listed under the discontinued tag or something.

But yeah Lakozy does some terrific marketing for the NAD amps and PBS's Image and Imagine series. Fortunately, I did not run into any issues w.r.t. pricing, shipping or the communication part so that's there.

Back