Frustrated with Semi-Automatic Washer Drying! (Help! Water Not Reaching All Clothes)

TrexTom

Patron
Hi everyone,

I'm feeling a bit defeated by my semi-automatic washing machine lately. While it does a good job washing my clothes, drying them seems like a whole other battle!

I'm wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong, or if this is just a common struggle with semi-automatic machines.

Here's the issue: After washing, I transfer the clothes to the dryer section. I then fill the dryer with water, hoping it will soak and rinse the soap out of the clothes. However, after running the dryer for 10 minutes, I find the water level hasn't reached all the clothes, especially the ones at the bottom. This leaves them still quite soapy and obviously not properly rinsed.

Is this normal for semi-automatic washers? Are there any tricks to ensure all the clothes get rinsed evenly? Or am I completely off base with this whole water-filling approach?

Any advice or tips from fellow semi-automatic washer users would be greatly appreciated!

I don't own a semi auto washing machine but some thoughts.

If you can spare some extra time & water, drain the detergent water and then can try running a second wash with clean water without detergent for few mins(trial and error) and then use dryer with/without water.

Any advice or tips from fellow semi-automatic washer users would be greatly appreciated!
This is little time intensive but I try to accommodate it during my normal morning routing, during brushing, bathing, etc. so it doesn't take extra time.

So this is what I have been doing for years -

1. Wash the clothes with detergent normally in the washer.
2. Transfer the washed clothes to the dryer section and spin it for 5 mins (without water flowing into the dryer section) so that maximum detergent leaves the clothes.
3. While step 2. is going on, drain the washer side completely and fill it with fresh water (you don't need to fill it as much as you filled before Step 1).
4. Transfer the clothes from dryer side to washer side and wash it for 5 or so mins.
5. Now transfer it again to the dryer side and dry it finally (without water flowing into the dryer).

This might look cumbersome to do but I've perfectly adjusted this ritual in my morning freshening up sequence that it doesn't feel as if I'm doing any extra work, and my clothes are always detergent free.

PS: I never turn the water to the dryer side. Step 2 is pretty crucial as it removes all the detergent + water combination from your clothes, maybe only ~20-30% detergent remains after this step which is removed in the second light wash.

Last edited:
I think the solution for now is to run a second wash with clean water without detergent. But I still wonder how automatic machines dry clothes efficiently compared to semi-automatic machines without any tedious intervention.

I think the solution for now is to run a second wash with clean water without detergent.
Not solution. That is how you properly use a semi automatic. I'd do a second rinse to get all the soap out but that might be too tedious.
But I still wonder how automatic machines dry clothes efficiently compared to semi-automatic machines without any tedious intervention.
They're designed that way to automate the process. The downside is the wash water isn't heated so doesn't clean as well. May work if you live in an area that gets 300 days of sun so your overhead tank is always warm. For that you need to do your laundry later in the day

That is where front loaders come in

Back