Budget 21-30k Full PC for a writer/novelist

tracerbullet

Skilled
Hey guys,

This is probably my first post on Tech Enclave in years. Hope some familiar faces & aliases help me out :)

So, I'm looking to build a desktop computer from scratch for my wife. Now here's the thing: she's a journalist who also happens to be writing her first novel. Hence, this computer will primarily be used for writing/typing lots of words, reading and surfing. Of course, having a tech-geek like me as her husband who'll be tinkering around on her machine from time to time, I feel the computer should have upgradeability and be relatively modern component-wise.

Keeping that in mind, I feel that the monitor and keyboard shouldn't be given short shrift. I would also prefer the machine to have 8GB of RAM. Graphics could be onboard as this computer won't be used for gaming.

Computer budget: Rs 20,000 to Rs 30,000. Would really prefer keeping it closer to 20k.

@BIKeINSTEIN, @Crazy_Eddy, @superczar your advice would be appreciated!

Processor: I'm thinking AMD A8 series
Motherboard: No idea...
RAM: G SKill 8GB standard stuff. Single stick is better so that I can pop in another 8GB whenever required
Graphics Card: onboard is good enough
Hard drive: Seagate/WD 500GB will work. Can consider an optional 60GB SSD for hosting the OS if it fits within budget
Optical drive: standard DVD reader/writer. Are blu-ray readers cheap these days?
Cabinet: Something airy and easy to clean
Monitor: 20 inches is good enough
PSU: Corsair 400-500W?
Keyboard: Need something that's a breeze to type on. Something like the HP Wireless Elite http://www.amazon.com/HP-Wireless-E...=1396945059&sr=8-1&keywords=hp+wireless+elite
Mouse: something comfortable
Operating system: Windows 8.1

That's it. Let me know if I've missed anything. Looking to get this built within a few weeks. So we have some time. Looking forward to replies and comments.

Thanks.[DOUBLEPOST=1396949305][/DOUBLEPOST]Just realised that I didn't stick to the standard template. Hope that's not a problem. Or else, let me know and I'll edit the post.

Last edited:
@iPwnz hey, thanks for the reply. I don't mind off your stuff, but you're in Delhi and I'm not sure if it's a good idea to ship a motherboard and processor to Mumbai by courier. Let me think about it. And no, I haven't answered my questions. I have no idea whether the A8 is worth it, what mobo, what psu, and what monitor.

@superczar well, she already has a macbook pro, but it doesn't make sense for her for writing words in excess of 20,000 on that machine. A notebook simply isn't ergonomic or suited for such purposes. All sorts of postural problems can happen if you're looking at writing for 6-8 hours a day continuously on a teeny laptop keyboard.

I have no idea whether the A8 is worth it, what mobo, what psu, and what monitor.
powersupply take a look at this http://www.techenclave.com/community/buyers-guide/best-power-supply-units/
all monitors in that price-range should have little difference, get a model from a company which has the least worst after-sales service. same goes for the motherboard.
But do get a nice mech keyboard. That is a MUST-HAVE from my side esp. since the main purpose is typing.

Okay, this is what I have researched so far. But it is going beyond budget a bit. Can someone finetune this a bit? However, I'm not sure how good the perfomance is of the AMD A8 series. Is there a better config at this price? @Gannu what do you think?

Processor: AMD A8 6800 – Rs 6,700
Motherboard: Asus A55BM-K – Rs 3,500
RAM: Corsair DDR3 4GB – Rs 2,900
Graphics Card: onboard
Hard drive: Seagate 500GB – Rs 3,200
Optical Drive:
Cabinet: Coolermaster – Rs 2,500
PSU: Corsair CX430 – Rs 3,000
Monitor: Dell 1914 – Rs 5,500
Keyboard: – Rs 2,000
Mouse: - Rs 1,000
Operating System: Windows 8 OEM – Rs 6,000

Have to agree, if this is mainly for typing, perhaps a mechanical keyboard is better suited? That HP wireless one looks like it has the laptop style chiclet keys. The TVS gold mech keyboard is pretty cheap, but I heard quality has dropped significantly in recent batches. @Gannu has one, so maybe he can chip in. Cherry MX blue switches are the best for typing. The CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid is the cheapest with cherry blue (apart from the TVS gold), but can't seem to find it in stock anywhere in India. Try hitting the Coolermaster facebook page to ask.

An Intel G2020 for ~3.5k + Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H board ~3.7k will be more VFM than the AMD A8 setup.

The CX 430 is not good, bought 2 and 1 is already showing signs of failing capacitors. Unfortunately a good PSU like the Seasonic S12II is 4k and will raise your already stretched budget.

Monitor isn't too crucial, but look for one with a DVI port atleast since the VGA ones tend to show EMI noise.

Is Ubuntu + LibreOffice a possibility? Could save on the cost of Win 8.

The TVS gold mech keyboard is pretty cheap, but I heard quality has dropped significantly in recent batches. .
That was also my first thought but i also heard of quality issues with newer ones. I guess every good things have quality issues in their newer pieces. :/

Okay, this is what I have researched so far. But it is going beyond budget a bit. Can someone finetune this a bit? However, I'm not sure how good the perfomance is of the AMD A8 series.
I haven't used my 3870K so I don't know but a friend has a lower model, the 3850 and he said he could play BF3 at low.
Reviews for the 3870K are good imo. If primary uses would be typing then the 6800 will be fine. The main (and possibly single) advantage of APU over its Intel counterparts is the IGP. But if judged by pure processor prowess then Intel models look better unless its multi-threaded applications (Quad core APU's Vs Dual core Intel, correct me if I'm wrong)
Keyboard: – Rs 2,000
Mouse: - Rs 1,000
Operating System: Windows 8 OEM – Rs 6,000
In 2k the only mech is the TVS Gold. What mouse are you planning to buy in 1k? Wireless?
Also if you get Win 7 Basic OEM you can save around 1.5k. I paid 4k for the Win 7 OEM.

Have to agree, if this is mainly for typing, perhaps a mechanical keyboard is better suited? (...) An Intel G2020 for ~3.5k + Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H board ~3.7k will be more VFM than the AMD A8 setup.
Yeah, will try out the TVS keyboard and let's see how it feels. However, the chiclet-style HP elite I'm using is fantastic to type on. I just don't know how long it'll last, which is probably where mechanical keyboards really excel.
The CX 430 is not good, bought 2 and 1 is already showing signs of failing capacitors. Unfortunately a good PSU like the Seasonic S12II is 4k and will raise your already stretched budget.
I understand the importance of a good PSU, but this rig is never going to be oc'ed and there's no discrete graphics card either. Do you really recommend spending 4k on a PSU i.e. over 10% of the total budget of the computer system and instead skimping on the processor/ram/mobo?
Is Ubuntu + LibreOffice a possibility? Could save on the cost of Win 8.
Nah, Windows is a must..

In 2k the only mech is the TVS Gold. What mouse are you planning to buy in 1k? Wireless?
Also if you get Win 7 Basic OEM you can save around 1.5k. I paid 4k for the Win 7 OEM.
I think I have some spare mic lying around, but if I don't then it'll be something super basic. Do you recommend any particular model/brand? Also, yeah the Windows 7 Basic OEM sounds good. Any idea where I could find a copy for 4k? Flipkart & eBay are offering it for 6k.

Those mechanical keyboards are good for people who were used to old style typewriters/want a keyboard that lasts for life
The TVS keyboards I used eons ago used to have far too great travel for each keystroke, something we are not used to at all (Dunno about the newer version though - Havent seen one in a while).
A Chiclet style KB is probably your best bet considering the more accurate typing response you get out of them and the lack of flex
Even if they dont have an extended life like mechanical ones, I suppose you wouldn;t mind your keyboard dying out in a couple of years anyway

I think I have some spare mic lying around, but if I don't then it'll be something super basic. Do you recommend any particular model/brand?
Mic?
Also, yeah the Windows 7 Basic OEM sounds good. Any idea where I could find a copy for 4k? Flipkart & eBay are offering it for 6k.
6k is too high. I bought it from a computer dealer in Nehru Place. Rates differ. I went around and asked ALL the computer shops and bought it from the store which gave me the best price. If i had seen this post earlier I could've asked around. I just came back from Nehru place. :|

Those mechanical keyboards are good for people who were used to old style typewriters/want a keyboard that lasts for life
The TVS keyboards I used eons ago used to have far too great travel for each keystroke, something we are not used to at all (Dunno about the newer version though - Havent seen one in a while).
A Chiclet style KB is probably your best bet considering the more accurate typing response you get out of them and the lack of flex
Even if they dont have an extended life like mechanical ones, I suppose you wouldn;t mind your keyboard dying out in a couple of years anyway
When i checked this thread late last night on my phone, , i thought of THIS^ :p
Supey Czar still rules!! :)

Yes, mechanical keyboards are good, great for gamers and heavy typers or anyone who loves them.
But this PC will be used mostly by someone used to the keyboard of a macbook. Will the switch be good for them? Cant be sure unless they try.
If they get used to mechanical, will the mackbook be usable comfily then? we don't know that too.
Plus the cost of a mechanical keyboard- depending on whether you want clicky or not clicky- will inflate the budget. But that's your call to spend or not.

For the monitor. i prefer a matte finish/non-glare screen. Can be IPS, PVA, PLS. TN whatever.as colour accuracy ain't critical in your case i hope.
But a nice matte surface monitor and if possible height with a adjustable stand.
I am not sure if those come cheap. Else there are many low-cost IPS LED monitors out there these days.
I see you chose a 19 but a 23"/24" full HD monitor possible?[DOUBLEPOST=1397050464][/DOUBLEPOST]Processor: i3-4130
Motherboard: B85 chipset
RAM: Corsair DDR3 4GB
Graphics Card: onboard
Hard drive: Seagate 1TB

Why 4th Gen i3? Personally i am more comfortable investing in Socket 1150 now. Plus the price seems a little closer to the previous gen i3 s'?
Are the Socket 1150 Pentiums here yet? If yes, that is not bad either.

Add a GTX750Ti some day and it can become an entry-level gaming rig too. :p

Not very familiar with entry-level PSUs available now.
My friend's Corsair CX430 V2 is 2 years old now and seems ok.
His usage is very similar to what yours will be apart from it being his download rig too when he is not working.
So anything that's decent enough quality (nowadays difficult at a low price point), provides 3-years warranty at least and offers replacement in case of RMA is always preferred.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think that makes the most sense. Because as bikey says, if she's used to the Macbook then the chiclet-style keyboard should be a piece of cake. But if she gets used to the mechanical keyboard, then she'll start to find the MBP keyboard annoying. Not worth the risk.
I meant mice, sorry for the typo.
For the monitor. i prefer a matte finish/non-glare screen. Can be IPS, PVA, PLS. TN whatever.as colour accuracy ain't critical in your case i hope.
But a nice matte surface monitor and if possible height with a adjustable stand.
I am not sure if those come cheap. Else there are many low-cost IPS LED monitors out there these days.
I see you chose a 19 but a 23"/24" full HD monitor possible?
I don't see the point of a 23-24" monitor. Besides, it'll raise the costs too..
Motherboard: B85 chipset
This post is useless without brand and model :p
Add a GTX750Ti some day and it can become an entry-level gaming rig too. :p
haha, always a tempting option!
My friend's Corsair CX430 V2 is 2 years old now and seems ok.
His usage is very similar to what yours will be apart from it being his download rig too when he is not working.
So anything that provides 3-years warranty at least and offers replacement in case of RMA is always preferred.
Yeah, I think I'll stick with the Corsair CX430 for 3k unless Eddy is vehement about the Seasonic and insists that I have no other option :)

Haha just putting it out there about the PSU. The CX430 I got was being used in basic Pentium G6xx rigs, no overclocking, no discrete card, not even 24x7 download use. Of course it could just be bad luck. In any case, atleast Corsair has good RMA, so you should be alright. You take the call :)

Haswell i3 + B85 board costs 14k. Ivy Pentium + H61 setup is about 7k. To me spending double the amount would be pushing your already tight budget for something that would not be noticed while using a word processor. Unfortunately the Haswell Pentiums aren't here yet, so there's no economical alternative.

Fair point about finding it difficult to adjust between travel height on two sets of keyboards. The thing about the short travel on chiclet keyboards is that many do not realise that you are applying a lot of force and bottoming out the keys. And since there's no tactile feedback, this affects accuracy - especially if you're typing really fast. Then again you already write a lot, so I assume you would have noticed if the HP keyboard was slowing you down ;)

@Crazy_Eddy
G3220 + H81/B85 + 120GB SSD + 500GB HDD instead of i3+1TB? :p

P.S.
H81 offers 2x USB 3.0 at the rear. B85 mobo might offer header for front panel USB 3.0 ports.
1 or 2 front USB 3.0 ports do come in handy at time. Might seem silly but again, more of a personal preference.

Last edited:
I meant mice
You can get any normal wired optical mouse, from a reputed brand of course. But different people prefer different types of mice ie. what mouse fits well in her palm, comfortable, whether smaller mouse or standard size etc. so I cant really say anything on this. I'm using a gaming mouse.

@Crazy_Eddy
G3220 + H81/B85 + 120GB SSD + 500GB HDD instead of i3+1TB? :p

P.S.
H81 offers 2x USB 3.0 at the rear. B85 mobo might offer header for front panel USB 3.0 ports.
1 or 2 front USB 3.0 ports do come in handy at time. Might seem silly but again, more of a personal preference.
The G3220 has not yet launched in India according to this thread. Budget seems tight, otherwise I usually recommend the H67 board just for USB 3.0 :p

Back