Funding Master's from a US university

Stronk

Adept
Hi all,
Hope you are doing well. I have been lucky enough to be accepted to my top choice for master's degree in a US university, but the fees are insanely expensive. Apart from applying for scholarships (Inlaks, Sekhsaria, Tata Endowment, etc), I also wanted to know if anyone here is familiar with the process or experience of getting sponsorships. The total cost over 2 years comes to over 150k USD including living costs which is not affordable for me, and though my parents can fund about a third of the cost with personal funds + loans, the rest 100k or so I need to figure out a way if I wish to actually study there. I am filling up scholarship applications as mentioned previously but also wish to look into getting sponsorships. I am currently based near Chennai on my college campus but live in Navi Mumbai and willing to travel anywhere in India if needed. Thank you.

Scholarships for international students aren't easy to get. Most people take loans, but usually up to 50L, which they repay over a period of 3 years post getting a degree & working in a good job there. Worst case scenario, your parents have to be ready to pay back the loan as there's no guarantee of getting a job. The chances of getting a job are surely very high in top 30 US universities. Students also work part time on campus, can earn like $9 per hour for max 20hr a week, I think.

If money seems too much, maybe look for a cheaper university in US. If it's a B school, just try to get into a top 20 B school in India.

Hi all,
Hope you are doing well. I have been lucky enough to be accepted to my top choice for master's degree in a US university, but the fees are insanely expensive. Apart from applying for scholarships (Inlaks, Sekhsaria, Tata Endowment, etc), I also wanted to know if anyone here is familiar with the process or experience of getting sponsorships. The total cost over 2 years comes to over 150k USD including living costs which is not affordable for me, and though my parents can fund about a third of the cost with personal funds + loans, the rest 100k or so I need to figure out a way if I wish to actually study there. I am filling up scholarship applications as mentioned previously but also wish to look into getting sponsorships. I am currently based near Chennai on my college campus but live in Navi Mumbai and willing to travel anywhere in India if needed. Thank you.
Congratulations @Stronk ! if it is all the same, could you let me know which uni and which program you got admitted into? I have a couple of friends whom I helped with essays and all who got calls and admits from a few top schools too (MBA and MS both - MIT, Harvard, Yale).

I could ask around as to how they are doing it. I cannot promise a solution, but I do promise to ask.

Scholarships for international students aren't easy to get. Most people take loans, but usually up to 50L, which they repay over a period of 3 years post getting a degree & working in a good job there. Worst case scenario, your parents have to be ready to pay back the loan as there's no guarantee of getting a job. The chances of getting a job are surely very high in top 30 US universities. Students also work part time on campus, can earn like $9 per hour for max 20hr a week, I think.

If money seems too much, maybe look for a cheaper university in US. If it's a B school, just try to get into a top 20 B school in India.
Hey thanks for the info. Yep, it does come in top 30 schools at the global level and the course is ranked within top 10 or top 20 globally as well (depending on the ranking list. However, I have zero full-time work experience to show for and I am not sure if I can qualify for an education loan on my own - plus, I would need to take up a loan for more than 50L, something that I cannot apply for even with parents as co-signee. Hence looking for scholarships and sponsorships.
Not a B school tho, and I don't have admits from any cheaper US universities.
Congratulations @Stronk ! if it is all the same, could you let me know which uni and which program you got admitted into? I have a couple of friends whom I helped with essays and all who got calls and admits from a few top schools too (MBA and MS both - MIT, Harvard, Yale).

I could ask around as to how they are doing it. I cannot promise a solution, but I do promise to ask.
Many thanks for your reply! I shall send you details over PM.

Last edited:
  1. Try finding any scholarship at the university also. You will have to research or talk to people at the university. Sometimes they are listed or private scholarpships that people or companies sponsor but not listed.
  2. Next is to also look for corporates who offer scholarships as part of CSR. They usually are for under previledged but I have heard some are for general students also (assuming you are one).
  3. Reach out to Indian community in the city of your university on social media. There might be leads you can get from there from fellow students/Indians there.
  4. Faculty are usually helpful and reply if you ask them polietly about funding if you explain in detail. You can email them.

Hey thanks for the info. Yep, it does come in top 30 schools at the global level and the course is ranked within top 10 or top 20 globally as well (depending on the ranking list. However, I have zero full-time work experience to show for and I am not sure if I can qualify for an education loan on my own - plus, I would need to take up a loan for more than 50L, something that I cannot apply for even with parents as co-signee. Hence looking for scholarships and sponsorships.
Not a B school tho, and I don't have admits from any cheaper US universities.

Many thanks for your reply! I shall send you details over PM.
Just saying, if it's engineering, TAMU's main campus is relatively cheap while being very reputed with a good rank.

I think even for 30L loans, your parents will be co-signee. For 50L, it must be a secured loan. HDFC Credila is what many use for unsecured loans up to 30L, at like 13-15% interest. With secured SBI loan, you can get it down to 9-10%. Again, take 50L loan only if your parents can repay it if the worst happens. Also, unless you plan to settle there, Masters degree doesn't help much in corporate unless you do some great research work or plan to go for PhD.

Asking on Edulix forum may help you find specifics about scholarships applicable to your university / course from seniors who have been through the program.

Back