CPU/Mobo Future Proof MB for old Phenom II X3 720 Processor

lok_b

Disciple
Hi ,
I just wanted to upgrade the Mother board , Without changing any of the other components in existing rig.I guess I need to change the RAM as well as its DDR2
The current config is
AMD Phenom ii x3 720/Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H/Sapphire HD 4850 GPU
4 GB DDR2 RAM/1TB HDD/Seasonic 430 W PSU.
Pl suggest me a VFM Mother board (6-8 K)which would be future proof if I wanted to change the other accessories. I may be going for an sound card soon as well.
Thanks in advance for all your inputs.:)

If your processor supports DDR3 (which I think it does) you could get the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 (~Rs. 6500) or the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 EVO (~Rs.7500). The EVO's got slightly better VRM's and some extra features.
The EVO's also got better audio, so you may not need the soundcard.

You can look at AM3+ chipsets. You can also look at Biostar TA970, MSI 970A or Gigabyte GA970A models. All of these are around 5.5k price bracket. And for future proofing or scalability purpose you'll get 4 DIMM slots, 6 SATA 6Gbps slots and 2 PCIe slots. And for RAM opt for Corsair vengance 4GB costing 2k. So in all of your 8k budget RAM and mobo can be bought. :)

If your processor supports DDR3 (which I think it does) you could get the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 (~Rs. 6500) or the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 EVO (~Rs.7500). The EVO's got slightly better VRM's and some extra features.
The EVO's also got better audio, so you may not need the soundcard.

I call dibs on that board, if it's working, once you find a replacement.
You can look at AM3+ chipsets. You can also look at Biostar TA970, MSI 970A or Gigabyte GA970A models. All of these are around 5.5k price bracket. And for future proofing or scalability purpose you'll get 4 DIMM slots, 6 SATA 6Gbps slots and 2 PCIe slots. And for RAM opt for Corsair vengance 4GB costing 2k. So in all of your 8k budget RAM and mobo can be bought. :)

Thanks a ton for your inputs.I was infact looking for the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 EVO,but its lil difficult to get as most of the retailers have ASUS M5A99x R2.0 EVO .
Does the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 EVO suffer from any significant cons.
@ crankyIs it difficult to find 100% working ASUS M5A97 R2.0 EVO.:(
@techguise - I'm quite wary of Gigabyte as my past experiences have been disappointing.DO u suggest any particular GA 970 MB.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Working DDR2 boards are rare as hen's teeth and I'd like a backup board. Not keen on trading out CAS4 latency for imaginary benefits of DDR3.

Don't get the Gigabyte 970 boards...they don't have VRM cooling, and don't support 125w Bulldozer CPU's.
MSI has closed it's operations in India, and it's last batch of AMD motherboards was infamous for early failures.

- I'm quite wary of Gigabyte as my past experiences have been disappointing.DO u suggest any particular GA 970 MB.;)

I suggested based on price points that will be economical and not based on personal usage. So, Gigabyte GA970A DS3 and Biostar TA970 cost 5.5k. Above this you have ASUS M5A97 and ASRock 970 Extreme both above 7k. So depending on budget and brand preference you can choose.

I don't know when, but it was fairly recently. They don't have an India website anymore, and no contact details for India on their global site.

this is somewhat true, digicre still provides support for msi products but they are not replacing any products... just check my thread on feedback section and you will know.

Even contacting their hq in taiwan for support is of no use as you won't get a reply.

Back