FYI- Amazing find for High end AV equipment

superczar

Skilled
I was doing the rounds of the local Chennai gray market looking for a v1.5 PSP...didn't get lucky on that front, but struck an amazing find

I found a couple of delaers who specialize in hi-end A/V equipment at super sweet prices....
Imagine my surprise when I found stacks of Denon/Marantz/Yamaha Amps and Polk/Jamo speakers in the chaos of that dingy market (not to forget Sharp Aquos/Sony Bravia 26"/32"/42" LCD TVs)

What was even more surprising were the prices, at least equal and in some cases better than US prices :hap2:
e.g. a 26" Sony Bravia for 43K which I have not seen for any less than $1000 even in deep disount stores in the US...

And if this wasn't enough, the guy was willing to get any speakers/Amps (available in Sigapore) within a 3-4 day period or 2-3 weeks if the equipment weiht exceeded 30kgs

Thouht it may make sense to post it as a FYI for the folks here

i think this wud be best suited in hot deals section, and infact very good news for the enthusists, does this mean he can get 20" lcds for cheaper as well? :p

If you could, superczar please find the price of Jamo E855, E875 and the Marantz PM7200 integrated amp. Just wanna compare with blore prices :p. It costs 44K, 58K and 29K respectively with warranty.

Lol. Was waiting for Dada to post here :p

@ Abhi, get the rates fast and post it here. Would be very helpful for all the poor people here :p

I aske him for the rates...While he finds that out, he gives me a deal that is mind blowing:

Some joker bought a pair of Phase V12s from him last month

Phase V12

and a Marantz PM17

AudioReview.com - Marantz PM-17 Reviews

Guess what, he wants to dispose them to replace them with Bose Lifestyle :ashamed: sheeeeesh!!!!!!!!!

Asking price....65K

If only I had the money :mad:

If only I had the money

btw the marantz PM7200 is 23K

OMG just 65K? Thats insane! Would have bought those speakers in a hiccup if I hadn't had already bought my stuff.

Chaos said:
OMG just 65K? Thats insane! Would have bought those speakers in a hiccup if I hadn't had already bought my stuff.
yeaaa Get Ready to sell your existing "Jumbo" speakers to me for a low price :bleh:
edit: 500th post! Woot :D

superczar said:
I found a couple of delaers who specialize in hi-end A/V equipment at super sweet prices....
Imagine my surprise when I found stacks of Denon/Marantz/Yamaha Amps and Polk/Jamo speakers in the chaos of that dingy market (not to forget Sharp Aquos/Sony Bravia 26"/32"/42" LCD TVs)

What was even more surprising were the prices, at least equal and in some cases better than US prices :hap2:
e.g. a 26" Sony Bravia for 43K which I have not seen for any less than $1000 even in deep disount stores in the US...

Wow! Which place? Information will be helpful.

Thanks
Yusuf

are you sure these are not duplicates ?. another problem with posts like these, since it is grey market, the dealers would hike price once they get publicity and realize their product's real value.

I remember seeing a korg synthesyser in burma bazar for 15k in the late 90's and have bought SCSI CD-R's under 1k those days.

LOL...Look how an age-old post got bumped....

are you sure these are not duplicates

Hehe, doubt if it would be worthwhile for someone to create duplicates for niche market products...very very unlikely!

Anyway, I ended up buying the audio setup in my sig from the guy and am more than satisfied with it...though he did eventually jack up the final prices on these :(

superczar said:
doubt if it would be worthwhile for someone to create duplicates for niche market products...very very unlikely!

Well, i've seen fake ipod mini's, super fake ipods(with apple logo, packing, etc... + additional apple logos), synthesizers, speakers and amps.

LOL..iPOds are anything but niche products for one

Two, I too have seen these fakes, and they, just by the look of them scream fake, and only a moron would take them as an original one

superczar said:
just by the look of them scream fake, and only a moron would take them as an original one

Friend, i think you didn't read my previous post carefuly, didn't i mention "super fake ipods(with apple logo, packing, etc... ) ?.

They even sound good, but not that good as the real one. Though i haven't spotted them in India, but have in Asia-pacific region, except NZ, AU & JPN. If you put a real ipod and this fake, it is very hard to recognise the fake even for ipod fanatics. (we Apple guru's can always tell if it is fake or not :bleh: )

They usually sell as discounted gifts and sell 10-20% less than the original, so ppl won't even suspect. The only way to avoid'em is to buy from Apple Authorised Dealers.

They even sound good, but not that good as the real one. Though i haven't spotted them in India, but have in Asia-pacific region, except NZ, AU & JPN. If you put a real ipod and this fake, it is very hard to recognise the fake even for ipod fanatics. (we Apple guru's can always tell if it is fake or not )

They usually sell as discounted gifts and sell 10-20% less than the original, so ppl won't even suspect. The only way to avoid'em is to buy from Apple Authorised Dealers.

sure that they weren't refurbs? which would explain the 10-20% discounted price, or perhaps the original EPs replace with duplicates which would explain the sound quality difference....

The chinese copy-cat industry is good but it still hasn't reached the level of finesse required to build a near non-diffrentiable copy of even moderately complex gadgets like the iPod

In fact there are very few electronic products where you need to be a super-guru to tell a fake from an original...

Memory sticks are one example, can't think of any other

Anyway, I think we are deviating too much from the topic here which anyway is an age-old thread...

Just for the record, I posted this as an FYI and it may be useful for people who consider themselves smart enough to distinguish .... Whether to buy or not to is the individual's call ..right?

Back