Camera FZ40 or FZ100 or HS10 ?

su30mki117

Disciple
I am just a casual photographer and am confused between the three. Is the FZ40 enough or is it worth it to shell out some more money and go for either FZ100 or HS10? I don't think I need the 30x zoom of HS10, I guess 24x is more than enough.

Also do suggest other alternatives in the same range.

The HS10 will be replaced by the HS20 which has slightly bigger EXR-backlit sensor.It also has faster autofocus.
Other cameras worth waiting for is the Sony HX100 has a Carl Zeiss lens and fast AF,like the HS20 has manual ring.

The point is I am getting the FZ40 for 13k, so I thought I will keep it for a few years and then get a decent DSLR. Also I guess I will get the FZ-100 for about 17k. So I just need to pay 4K more for all the extra features the FZ100 offers. Any idea what the market price is for HS-10 right now? Also any idea what the prices of HS20 and HX100 would be approximately?

The new ones will be priced about the same or perhaps may be a bit cheaper.The HS10 costs around 21k .

The FZ40 is a good buy for that price,the FZ100 isn't worth the extra and its CMOS sensor isn't really that good.

:O ....where are you getting these prices from ? Dont hesitate and go for FZ 40 if you dnt need the burst rate and 240 FPS video !

Shall I go ahead with the FZ40 then? Any idea what the price of FZ40 in India is?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Bro is in Philippines and one of his colleagues knows a Panasonic dealer there. :)

Oh...thats makes sense...In indian grey market, i think FZ40 will cost around 20k sumthing.

And i have FZ35, and its good enough for casual photographers !

Pros of FZ 100 over FZ 40 :-

Better Burst rate

240 FPS video in QVGA resolution.

Pros of FZ 40 over FZ 100 :-

Better Picture quality.

Cheaper price.

Err...pros of FZ100:

Mechanical shutter (found in only SLR's not not normally used in Megazooms)

best 1080p video quality (among all the mega zooms currently available)

CMOS sensors unlike other megazoooms

u can get upto 11 FPS per second on this camera:) .... Just imagine - by the time u take 1 snap in the FZ40 u take around 7 in the FZ100 :) ..... Gives u a feel of a SLR:)

Regarding the still image quality...I do agree; the idiots at panasonic forgot about the image quality when putting in the features....But its not a huge difference; u can make out the difference only when taking landscape pictures, and low light pictures. But all this can be adjusted with Manual settings

But remember...it rocks over FZ40 in the picture quality but crisper pics and a better 1080p support

Well, I ordered the FZ40. Anyway, will be upgrading to a DSLR very soon, so didn't want to spend a fortune on a superzoom right now. Just needed a decent superzoom to learn photography before using a DSLR.

sailing in the same boat for couple of months now, almost zeroed down to FZ40 and would be ordering one soon hopefully. Costing close to 16k though here in oz..

Back