Galaxy Note - Does it make sense buying one now?

Hello All. Haven't been active for a long time, sorry about that. Coming to the point, does it make sense, from a purely future-proofing point of view, to go for a Note N7000? I have to choose between the S3 and the Note. Note II is not a choice (budget constraints). As for the purpose of my usage, i'm good with either - one fulfils some requirements while the other fulfils some different ones, so there's no decision to be made based on that. I am leaning towards the Note purely because of its large screen.
How well will the dual-core Exynos age? And what are your opinions on support for updates from Samsung?

Note is still a very powerful device which has only slightly less specs than Note II , and comes 7k cheaper. I'd say go for it, i was going for it as well. ( unfortunate circumstances has delyaed my purchase indefinitely :( but i'll get this when i can manage )

You might find this funny but if you are choosing between Note and S3 then I would advise you to get a Nexus 4. Yes the bigger screen is a huge plus but when you compare the aspect ratio of the Note and S3/N4 then the later has a better aspect ratio which is good for videos. Ofcourse N4 loses with the onscreen buttons but purely for future N4 is a device to go with.

@Switch interesting suggestion..I'd thought of a Nexus 4 , but I don't want to get into the hassle of ordering one from the States through PPOBox etc. I don't want to wait for the 6-8 weeks currently being quoted either. So well, back to Note or S3.
@mitraark hope you get the opportunity soon! :)

OK one more thing. Over on XDA forums, people are reporting a slow Jelly Bean leaked ROM. Now I know that leaked ROMs are supposed to be buggy, but the main concern coming from there is that the S-Pen apps on the 4.1.2 build take around ~150 MB of RAM while running in the background, and the Note with 1GB RAM is finding it difficult to cope. Isn't it possible that further updates may be cancelled by Samsung if the Note cannot handle it? (The S2 has no such problem with the leaked JB ROM btw. It's just the S-Pen apps :( )

Last edited by a moderator:
My Mom has a Note I and its slow on Samsung jb ROMS. Feels really sluggish. CM10 is also laggy because there is no HWComposer support since Samsung doesnt release proper driver/source etc.

Whats your budget? Because I think you can get the Note 2 for ~32k on homeshop18 tomorrow.

Ok, thanks for all the replies!! Bought a Note @ 26.4k on Zoomin (the 12-12-12 sale) :) @manu1991 my budget was a strict 30k, and HS18 anyways doesn't ship to Pune, so that wasn't much of an option..thx tho!

As for why i took the plunge, I tried out a Note on ICS. The experience was damn good and I figured that even if further updates aren't gonna help the phone, i wouldn't have a problem using this exact same firmware for the next two years. So yeah, bought it for what it IS, not what it might become later :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back