Game maker Ubisoft fights back

<CENTER>
c10c2cf2.jpg
</CENTER>

At the recent E3 games expo in Los Angeles, Ubisoft boss Yves Guillemot urged shareholders to hold on to their stocks, saying the value of the company would double in the next two years.

"We are working hard to remain independent," Mr Guillemot told the BBC News website.

Gallic pride
Ubisoft has a portfolio of more than 1,000 games titles and 2,300 developers in studios in Canada, China, France and the US.

It has enjoyed success with games such as Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon and Prince of Persia.

EA, the world's largest games company, showed an interest in Ubisoft in December when it bought 20% of the firm.

The move by the American giant provoked strong feelings, with the French press seeing it as an assault on the Gallic gaming industry.

For Mr Guillemot, who started Ubisoft with his four brothers in the mid-1980s, this was unwelcomed attention.

"We know those guys are around," he said, referring to the EA interest.

Big games
Ubisoft's response has been to build up in-house gaming talent and develop a range of big name brands.

At the E3 show, Ubisoft showed off its latest weapons in the fight for independence.

Among the big name titles on display were the game of Peter Jackson's King Kong, a console version of the PC hit game Far Cry, a new Prince of Persia, and a version of Ghost Recon 3 for the Xbox 360.

"We prefer by far to remain independent as we will be able to double our value in the next two years as we will double our effort," said Mr Guillemot.

"The profits of the company will grow fast because the products are selling well and generating lots of revenue."

"If our shareholders are happy with what we do they will not sell their shares, they will keep them as it is a great investment for them," he said.

Ubisoft's sales have risen fast over the past five years, hitting 537m euros (£389m) in the 2004-2005 financial year.

Eight of its games, such as Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia, sold more than 17 million copies worldwide.

"We are in a business of creation," said Mr Guillemot, "we need to keep the creativity and that is the value of the company."

Source

a couple of years back i wouldnt really have given this a second thought as i had quite a bit of respect for ea. But with their latest offering of games and sub-standard sequels, i can only hope that ubisoft holds out.

And that EA doesnt manage to screw up Battlefield 2 like they did battlefield vietnam

Only EA can screw up a goldmine like Battlefield.
They used to make excellent games till 2001, after that they just starting buying everything in sight.

They own the geniuses at Crytek and are doing absolutely nothing with them, looks like they will go the same way as the many studios EA bought only to shut them down after a shortly after.

If EA made the PoP games, rap music everywhere and you can change the prince's clothes, gameplay absent (added lateron with the expansion pack).

The Playa of Persia - Thugs of Baghdadh Yo

saumilsingh said:
They used to make excellent games till 2001, after that they just starting buying everything in sight.

They own the geniuses at Crytek and are doing absolutely nothing with them, looks like they will go the same way as the many studios EA bought only to shut them down after a shortly after.

If EA made the PoP games, rap music everywhere and you can change the prince's clothes, gameplay absent (added lateron with the expansion pack).

:rofl: Well said saumil, even i have lost the respect that i had towards EA, these days they are just churning out crap rather than gr8 games !

saumilsingh said:

Holy crap, funniest thing I've heard in a while :rofl:, well said man. Seriously, EA is turning into a bad version of Microsoft of the gaming industry. Jeez gimme a break, all their licensed games are crap most of their original ips are crap. They should just leave good devs like Ubi alone :mad:.

saumilsingh said:
There's a difference, microsoft actually makes the effort to develop quality games.
All of their products/games are top notch.
yes..i completely agree....the effort is always there frm microsoft...
dunno why ppl always say bad things abt them :p

but ea is surely making all the craps in this world these days. ;)

although microsofts pricing strat here is totally uncalled for. but then again...same applies to rockstar.

Back