Budget 0-20k Gaming build help

uday0799

Disciple
Hi guys,
Recently I upgraded my PC with help of tech enclave members...and my cousin also want to upgrade his PC and his PC specs are
Intel i5 3rd gen
Giagabyte motherboard
1tb hard disk
He is planning to buy new GPU and his budget is under 20 k ..so we are thinking of gtx 960 and it it good choice and for 1080p gaming and I saw Asus gtx960 4gb for 18 k and 2gb variant for 16k ...so which variant will be good and gtx 960 will be enough to max out settings for upcoming games

What about 4 GB for extra 2k
not worth it since the 960 isn't powerful enough to use 4gb vram

Can we play upcoming games in high settings let's say like for next 3 years
you can play with high settings today but over the years games get increasingly complex and so you might be forced to turn down settings for games launching 2-3 years from now.
that being said, gaming at 1080p will be no problem for a gtx 960 even 3 years from now.
The 960 will handle anything thrown at it with aplomb - just don't expect to have ultra-high settings in games 3 years down the line. but this is true for almost all gpu's.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply crampy pants and I heard that 280 x is powerful than 960 and r9 280 x has 3 GB memory... So opting for 280 x is good choice and it is 256 bit...and one last question is gtx 970 overkill for 1080p @ 60 hz monitor..

Yes, the r9 280x is faster than the gtx 960 but it's also more expensive and more power hungry. it's basically the 7970 gigahertz edition. it actually has a massive 384-bit bus which is why it's pretty high up on the power draw but the large bus makes it pretty good at 1440p. that being said, it retails for ~22-24k which makes it very bad value compared to the gtx 970 (which is equal to an r9 290).

r9 280 (non-x), r9 285, r9 380(non-x) and gtx 960 all perform very close to each other. the difference is in price and power draw.
if you don't plan on moving to anything above 1080p over the next 3 years then the 960 is perfect.
the r9 line is faster only as the resolutions climb higher.
so basically, upto 1080p the 960 is better value. the 970 is definitely overkill for 1080p.

in my opinion right now, the gtx 970 gives the best performance/rupee at ~25-27k.
however, if you're not going beyond 1080p within the next year or so then it would be an excessive expense especially when a gtx 960 can be had for 16k.
the 280x is only a decent buy if it were under 18k.

if you're really into gaming and can afford it then the 970 is good.
otherwise, get the 960 and put the extra funds towards an ssd.

also, what psu are you using? a gtx 970 will need a good quality 500w psu whereas the 960 can run off a 400-450w one.

alternatively, you can check out used cards that are still under warranty if budget is a concern.

My cousin is under budget and he don't want to upgrade his monitor and all he need is he wants to play current and upcoming games in 1080p high settings with out any lag for next 2 or 3 years may be...and if we do sli with another 960 in future will it improve performance So for 960 zotac or asus?...

Ok.
In that case i recommend the 960 as well. both asus and zotac are good, however, zotac offers a longer warranty (2+3 yrs with registration) so i would opt for that as it guarantees either 5 yrs of gaming or better resale value :)
what psu does your cousin have? make sure it's a good quality one otherwise it may damage/burn internal components.

Last edited:
He is having 500 watts PSU from cooler master don't know the exact model and what do you think about gtx 969 sli will it improve the performance in future

ok, a cooler master 500w might do. but i'd suggest a seasonic if you plan to upgrade it.
be advised if you want to sli then it will require an sli capable motherboard and a min. 650 watt psu (750w pref.).
the gtx 960 sli will be equal to or just under a gtx 980.
however, that only holds true up to 1080p. at resolutions higher than that there is no way past the limited 128-bit bus of the 960.

if you're considering getting an sli system now then consider a gtx 970 as it will be cheaper, and in the long run faster than a 960 sli.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-geforce-gtx-960-strix-2-way-sli-review,1.html
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/80082-evga-geforce-gtx-960-ssc-2-way-sli/

Last edited:
On 900 series products metal gear solid game is coming as freebie will I get if I buy outside in local stores and we decided for 960 thanks a lot crampy pants

No problem uday0799 :D
yes the 960 supports 2-way sli.
you will get the free game regardless of where you buy the card as it is provided via a download on the nvidia site.
there will be a unique code provided inside the box that will allow you to claim the free game download.

Back