Gaming CPU -Under 35K

harryoxford

Disciple
  • Q: What is your budget?
  • Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E4400
    • Motherboard - Intel DQ965GF
    • GPU - ATI 5770
    • RAM - Transcend 2X1GB 800Mhz
    • Monitor - Dell ST2200L
    • SMPS - Zebronics Platinum 600w
    • HDD - Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
    • Seagate Barracuda 500GB
  • Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Dell ST 2200L
    • SMPS - Zebronics Platinum 600w
    • GPU - ATI 5770
    • HDD - Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
    • Seagate Barracuda 500GB
  • Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - AMD Fx8120 (open to intel config also)
    • Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth 990Fx
    • RAM - GSkill 2x4GB DDR3 1600 (Ripjaws/Sniper)
    • Cabinet - Corsair 400R / Cooler Master 690II Advanced

• Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following within 1 Year
    • HDD - 3TB
    • GPU - ATI 7000 Series (May go for Crossfire)
    • SMPS (If required)

• Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Ahmedabad
    • Open to online purchase
  • Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  • Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • HTPC
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies
  • Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
  • No
  • Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Action - Crysis 2 / Battlefield 3 / Modern Warfare 3 / Arkham City
    • Racing - Dirt 3 / NFS RUN

• Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    • Gaming - 1920x1080
    • Desktop - 1920x1080
  • Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  • Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit /Windows 8 Consumer Preview
    • Linux Redhat/CentOS

will Ivybridge be comparable with AMD's Llano series ???

In the processing department the Sandy-Bridge also thoroughly defeats the AMD Llano 'Stars' based CPU, Ivy Bridge will increase the lead.

But if it is Integrated Graphic Processors that you are comparing the Redwood 'HD 6550' stands undefeated, though the HD 4000 narrows the gap. As usual though the HD 4000 is only available with the top tiered -k marked Core i7 and i5 line-up so again the competition is skewed processing prowess vs. balanced IGP + CPU and the verdict is the Llano is still good for most HTPC set-up(s).

AMD plans to release the successor to Llano codenamed Trinity later in this year, so expect renewed skirmishing between the Ivy-Bridge budget offerings [with the HD 2500 IGP] and the Trinity for the low end gaming / HTPC set-up crown.

Relevant links --

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-Trinity-Piledriver-VCE-Demo,15009.html / http://www.anandtech.com/show/5411/amds-trinity-apu-at-ces-shipping-in-mid2012.

http://wccftech.com/intel-ivy-bridge-lineup-leaked-detailed-specs-18-core-i7i5-processors-exposed/ / http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Benchmarks-Intel-Ivy-Bridge-CPU-sandy-bridge,14144.html.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Ivy Bridge is rumored to be launched betwen April-May, If Ivy Bridge can churn out atleast 40-50% More Performance than Sandy Bridge,then its worth a buy. Let's hope its worth the wait.

@ampdr1 : dude! If you are comparing Ivy Bridge Vs Llano, then you won't be doing justice to either. Ivy is for sheer performance, whereas, Llano is your VFM.

@Alpha17 : Agreed. Intel has got miles to go before it could pin down AMD on the Graphics Dept.

Ivy Bridge is rumored to be launched betwen April-May, If Ivy Bridge can churn out atleast 40-50% More Performance than Sandy Bridge,then its worth a buy. Let's hope its worth the wait.

@ampdr1 : dude! If you are comparing Ivy Bridge Vs Llano, then you won't be doing justice to either. Ivy is for sheer performance, whereas, Llano is your VFM.

@Alpha17 : Agreed. Intel has got miles to go before it could pin down AMD on the Graphics Dept.

VFM means???

so, will Trinity based mobo's have features like "Virtu" which r in Z68 ?

so, will Trinity based mobo's have features like "Virtu" which r in Z68 ?

Yes - the LGA 1155 Z77 series has "Virtu"

You may have to add (and budget too) an Air CPU Cooler to your list - here's why:

If you wish to run your system 24x7 on any high end processor - AMD 8150/8120 or the i5K or i7K - and wish to really care for your processor then the processor temperatures even at idle state are worrisome. A good cpu cooler brings down the temp by over 30-40% ..... You live in Ahmedabad so think about it.

Of course ignore this advice if your room is cooled by an AC 24x7
<

Your thread title indicates that you want a Gaming CPU for 35k, but the thread body seems to indicate that you want more than just the CPU. So is it CPU for under 35k + other components or do you want the entire system for under 35k.

@terence_fdes : you are right. Considering the temperatures in ahmedabad.... Without a quality CPU Cooler, i'd be roasting omletes on my processors :) . I've factored in to get a H60 - But only after zeroing on the processor.

@Lord Nemesis : As I've mentioned earlier, I'll be purchasing only the processor, MoBo, RAM & Cabinet - within the budget of 35K.

Rest of the components I already have and would be retaining them.

Earlier I've decided to go for AMD, But now after going through some of the reviews of the Ivy Bridge Architecture, I guess , I should wait for the IVY's release and see what its capable of.

I've factored in to get a H60 - But only after zeroing on the processor.
I think a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OR similar cooler, ThermalRIGHT Cogage True Spirit will be enough, if you want silent and really do not have qualms about spending consider offerings from Noctua such as the U12P SE2 / DH14 SE2. The Corsair H60 is overkill until you are not thinking about heavy over-clocking.

Just googled the reviews of the Noctua models, they look very promising. I'm not into Over Clocking, But the room temperature around here pretty easily shoots above 40 degree & no need to mention about the CPU temps. Will the noctua be effective enough in such a Hot & Humid environment?

Just googled the reviews of the Noctua models, they look very promising. I'm not into Over Clocking, But the room temperature around here pretty easily shoots above 40 degree & no need to mention about the CPU temps. Will the noctua be effective enough in such a Hot & Humid environment?

I have stayed in Ahemdabad and Jamnagar in Gujrat. I know how dry and dusty the environment gets, it is just as bad here in Delhi and the Noctua NH-U12P I have copes up fine, just make sure you set-up good airflow in your system to feed the Noctua with fresh air, instead of recycling the hot air inside the cabinet, that will invariably lead to a rise in CPU temperatures.

Hope this makes sense, Cheers!!

Thanks a Lot ALPHA17. Hope now I can go for the Noctua without any second thoughts. But still, I'm waiting for the Ivy Bridge, so as to get a compatible Noctua for the Ivy Bridge CPUs.

Make sure that you get a good cabinet for noctua like Corsair Carbide 400R-5k.
Thanks a Lot ALPHA17. Hope now I can go for the Noctua without any second thoughts. But still, I'm waiting for the Ivy Bridge, so as to get a compatible Noctua for the Ivy Bridge CPUs.

I've already zeroed on these two CM 690 II Advanced & Corsair 400R. Both are pretty good, with ample space, cable management, good ventilation, dust filters....etc.

In the meantime, I came across "Zebronics INVADER" http://zebronics.com/productDetails.php?id=8.

The build quality is good. A pretty cool cabby from the zebronics. Has Anybody ever used this cabby or has any idea about it?

Harry Noctua, bundles the appropriate mounting system for LGA 1156 [LGA 1155] and LGA 1366, for support for the LGA 2011 socket processor, you can write to Noctua support with proof of purchase and they will ship you the same for free.

Here is the link for the LGA 2011 bracket --> http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=40&lng=en.

Thanks again ALPHA17 ! I'll keep that in mind. But anyhow, I'm going to purchase all the components after getting the Ivy-CPU. So until then, its just me COUNTING the days for the dawn of the Ivy :)

Hi fellas! I've finally assembled the rig last week with the following config : CPU- Intel Core i5 3570k | MoBo- Asrock z77 Extreme4 | RAM - Corsair Vengeance 1600 2x4GB | Cabinet - Corsair 400R | Rest of the components I retained from the old config as specified in the template above. Thank you all TE members for the advice, esp., #DarkAngel & #ALPHA17. Mods may pls close the thread. Thank you all once again.

Back