Monitors Gaming on IPS Monitors – Good or Bad

MrRIG

Adept
Hi

My friend is looking for buying an IPS Monitor either Dell U2211H or U2311H. Both monitors have Response Time of 8 ms.

He is worried how first person shooter games shall look on these monitors? Should he opt for regular 2 ms LCD monitors?

Please guide

vivacious_tg said:
IMO 5 ms is good for gaming , with 8 ms you may see ghosting with some games which depends on how fast is the game play.

I also thought like that before buying. but all games are smooth with the IPS panel. no ghosting.

let other members also chip in with their views.

_

DigitalDude said:
I also thought like that before buying. but all games are smooth with the IPS panel. no ghosting.

let other members also chip in with their views.
_
If this is true, then great , may be we will see most of us with IPS panels

^ People refrain from buying IPS panels not because they are not good for gaming but because most cant afford them compared to TN panels. Ive seen some IPS panels in action ( played COD MW2 as well ) and trust me once you get used to an IPS panel you just wont be able to stand the colours of a TN panel .Everything looks so dull in comparison.

^ can you name the model no.s you have seen..
how is u2410 vs U2311H in action , I am aware of the tech specs but want to know the real life difference if you have got any opportunity to see these panels.

I had seen a 2007WFP almost 2-3 yrs back when they used to cost a bomb and have seen a few HP model LCDs (can't remember model number) with IPS panels. The difference is immediately noticeable atleast side by side. Havent seen the U2311H or the U2410H but I believe they will be equally good .

Response time specs are BS. Just like dynamic contrast ratios in the 100s of thousands. Don't bother with the specs. Instead check real-world reviews and first hand experiences before buying any monitor.

I have a 2208 US and after using the sRGB colour mode, every other regular monitor looks inaccurate. Flesh tones etc. look life-like. Still, it's not the best of the lot, so i'm sure your IPS options would be miles ahead.

Julian said:
Response time specs are BS. Just like dynamic contrast ratios in the 100s of thousands. Don't bother with the specs. Instead check real-world reviews and first hand experiences before buying any monitor.

I have a 2208 US and after using the sRGB colour mode, every other regular monitor looks inaccurate. Flesh tones etc. look life-like. Still, it's not the best of the lot, so i'm sure your IPS options would be miles ahead.
2208 US isn't ips

I have a 3008WFP with (comparitively) bad input lag and 8ms response, but it's fine for most games as long as the card is able to deliver over 40fps on a given game. That is the bigger problem with a large display. I've never noticed any ghosting in mine, though sometimes the input lag kills it for me.

yeah +1 to what faheem said ....IPS panels are premium panels.
the problem of ghostingis history TN panels were good for gaming when IPS had above 20 response times, that is history now , my 8 ms LG MVA is great colors are vivvid and no sign of ghosting ! , infact i liked it more than the 2408 ultrasharp when i was looking for 24 inchers 3 years back.

Back