Budget 90k+ Gaming Rig | Workstation | Budget 200k+

Nir-V-aNa

Disciple
Questions
  1. What is your budget?
    • 200K+ (Don't mind extending a bit if it's worth it, but not too much ;))
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel 4700K
    • Motherboard - Asus Gryphon Z87
    • GPU - Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB
    • RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz
    • HDD - Seagate 1 TB
    • Monitor - Acer ED322Q
    • PSU - Seasonic S12II 620W Bronze
    • Cooler - Corsair H70 Hydro series liquid cooler
    • Cabinet - NZXT Guardian 921
    • Keyboard - Redgear MK881 Invador Mechanical Keyboard
    • Mouse - Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
    • Headphones - Corsair Void Pro RGB
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Acer ED322Q
    • Keyboard - Redgear MK881 Invador Mechanical Keyboard
    • Mouse - Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
    • Headphones - Corsair Void Pro RGB
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine-tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (Have used Intel for the last decade. It's time for AMD again now :))
    • Motherboard - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro (Open to suggestions, this is just off the top of my mind. I picked the Elite but it supports only up to 3200 Mhz memory so I upgraded to the Pro)
    • GPU - MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio 10G (I'm not fixated on the brand, but read good things about this. If any other brand is decent for a cheaper rate, I don't mind going for that)
    • PSU - Cooler Master MWE 850W Gold (Not sure if I need an 850W. If a 750W will do, I will prefer that and spend the savings on another component. Again, open to suggestions.)
    • RAM - GSkill RipJaws 32 GB 3600Mhz (I'm fine with Vengeance or Ripjaws. If Trident offers something worth the extra money I might consider it. Don't want to compromise on the size though)
    • SSD - Samsung Evo 970 1 TB / Gigabyte 1 TB (I don't require much storage as of now, although that might change when I start playing some single-player games. Will add another TB later if needed)
    • Cooler - Cooler Master ML360L V2 ARGB (Can downgrade to ML240L if it's stretching the budget. Or any other recommendation)
    • Cabinet - Lian Li Lan cool II (Again, this is just my pick. Feel free to suggest better alternatives)
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future? If yes then please mention when and which component
    • I plan to add another 32" monitor later but not immediately. I have space constraints at the moment. It might be a 4K or QHD monitor at the very least.
    • Might add another 1 TB SSD based on my needs. My current rig only has 1 TB and about 300 GB is free, so I'm not storage hungry, but I don't have the latest single-player games as the rig doesn't support many.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying second-hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Programming
    • Rendering (Unreal Engine, Maya, etc.,)
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • HTPC
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preferences or dislikes? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • I want to go for an AMD CPU this time around.
    • Not very keen on Inno3D cards as I haven't read much about them. But beggars can't be choosers in the time of crypto miners. Would still prefer a more reputed/reliable brand though.
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Cyberpunk 2077
    • Red Dead Redemption II
    • Battlefield 6
    • All the battle royales like Modern Warfare, Fortnite, PUBG, Apex Legends
    • Path of Exile 2
    • Guild Wars 3
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1920x1080 (The max my monitor supports as of now. Will change when I upgrade)
    2. Desktop - 1920x1080 (The max my monitor supports as of now. Will change when I upgrade)
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Have never done it, so not immediately. Never say never, I guess.
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 64-bit (Have a retail license)
    • RHEL8 64-bit
    • Ubuntu 2004 64-bit
So my grandpa rig has decided it's had enough and wants to retire and chill. It's time for the next generation to take the reins. I don't upgrade frequently (as you might have noticed from my current rig). That's one of the reasons I'm spending a bit more than most people would. I'm not even sure if all the components I've listed will fit within 200k given the cost of GPUs at the moment but I can stretch a bit (not much though because there's no end to this) or maybe compromise on a few parts that my mind would be at peace with.

I don't want to wait much longer as I have already waited since 2020 and given the WFH situation I can't be in a situation where my system dies on me. Thank you for taking the time to help.

You sure you can't wait any longer? I mean, just the 3080 must be going for 1.5lacs & I can't even find one online. Recently launched RTX 3080ti seems to be available but is going for 1.8lacs.

A better idea would be to build your system up with a cheap GPU/iGPU for now & get a Series X/S (Whatever you can find) with game pass for gaming. Later, you can always sell the console if you are not interested in it & get a new GPU. Ideally you shouldn't have to pay anything above 65-75k for a 3080 so spending something like 1.2-1.4 lacs will only going to cause buyers remorse in the future.

Last edited:
I recently got the Wifi version of the board you're interested in getting. I got a good deal so got it, but I have a few grips:

Then chipset fan is always on.. even at idle. This wasn't the case with my mid range x570. (Mumbai heat to be blamed partially, too) The fan curve tweaking is absent, you have to use preset profiles.

In general fan control seems less robust than the MSI.. it doesn't let u set fan speeds based on the PCH temps.

The 2 RGB headers cannot be individually controlled. (MSI would let me)

Gigabyte software suite isn't great

When you're spending over 2 lacs, you deserve to opt for a better motherboard. I'd suggest getting the Asus X570 STRIX-F or the AsRock X570 Taichi.

Both costs almost the same as the one that you've chosen from Gigabyte.

EDIT: For the water-cooler, get the Lian Li Galahad 360. Better price to performance ratio for 360 radiators.

And finally for the cabinet, depending upon your tastes, you can go for either one of these:
  • Corsair 5000D
  • NZXT H510 Elite
  • Lian Li O-11 Dynamic

Last edited:
You sure you couldn't wait any longer? I mean just the 3080 must be going for 1.5lacs & I can't even find one online anywhere. Recently launched RTX 3080ti which seems to be available for now is going for 1.8lacs.

A better idea would be to build your system up with a cheap GPU/iGPU for now & get a Series X/S (Whatever you can find) with game pass for gaming. Later you can always sell the console if you are not interested in it & get a new GPU. Ideally you shouldn't have to pay anything above 65-75k for a 3080 so spending something like 1.2-1.4 lacs will only going to cause buyers remorse in the future.
+1 to not building now and waiting for better hardware availability / prices

If you do need (and not just want) to build now, skip buying a new GPU immediately, keep the GTX 760, and pester RPtech for any of the MSRP Founders Editions of 30 series.

Also, for board recommendations, MSI X570 Tomahawk WiFi is a good board, it has 2.5G Wired Ethernet, Intel AX200 WiFi6 2.4 Gbps, and one of the best VRM Power Delivery configuration as per testing by Hardware Unboxed Steve.

(both the above are same review - HW Unboxed testing based written reviews appear on TechSpot)

Last edited:
If you can get a good deal on locally used RX 570 (4GB) it might serve better than 760 (2GB) and might be a decent stop-gap for a GPU upgrade. (My current rig is R7 2700, RX 570 4GB, I'm happy with the performance but need more case fans - its a hot box right now lol)

Also, really sorry can't help chuckle a little with 760 pairing with R9 5900X

Back