Graphic Cards Geforce 6600 GT problem

Brendon

Skilled
Hi, I have a BIG Geforce 6600 Gt (BIG is the name not the size of the graphics card). It works fine in most games like Bros in Arms, BF 2 and other dx 9 games.

However in some games like Fear and Starship troopers, if I set shadows to very high the game gets corrupted after abt 30 seconds and hangs up. If I set the shaders to low both games work fine.

Even in Age of Empires 3, if I set shaders to very high or even high, the game hangs up after abt 5 mins. I have to set shaders to medium if I want to get the game working fine.

I then used Drivercleaner and removed all old drivers and reinstalled Nvidia 81.95 WHQL drivers but to no avail. :( Is this a software or hardware problem ?

Try using the auto-detect function for recommended video settings - not sure about AOE3, but Fear is a graphics/cpu intensive game and your graphics card may not be able to handle it.

I hate to say this but BIG is not a good brand so that could be another issue :(

Dude, Go give back the BIG and get the XFX.

My frnds have had 100's of problems with BIG's. One of my frnds, got a BIG 6600GT, and had to get em replaced, thrice, the last 1 didnt work properly as well, so he finally got an XFX :p.

my 6600gt is slow with aoe3 even with med shader quality,bf2 is very very slow at 1024*768
chaos thoery maybe will be fine at mid-low 1024

ut04 is slow at 1024/768,assualt,or else lil slow at 1280

goldenfrag, unfortunately even XFX is not a great brand :( Their quality of cards have improved alot since 7 series cards have been out but they're still nowhere near ASUS, eVGA, BFG.

I have XFX 6600GT and I get ~25-30FPS in AOE3 with very high settings for everything at 1024x768 screen res. the game doesn't hang at all. I can understand about FEAR being very resource intensive but AOE3 is pretty manageable. Even FEAR works alright at medium (recommended) settings on a 6600GT.

Try upgrading the drivers to 81.98.

@RiO:

Well, I agree XFX is not the best brand in the world but their quality is outstanding for the price they offer their products. Its better than most brands out there and can sometimes outperform even the best in business. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
download the latest drivers 83.40 and try them ...... anyways if it stilll hanging give it for replacement ......

How can I give back the BIG and get an XFX ? I dont mind spending a little extra and get another 6600 Gt, but how do I do that ?

Also I know FEAR is a heavy game, but the game works fine as I reduced the other settings but had high shadows. The game works fine with playable frame rates for a while but then hangs up completely.

Same with AOE, I played it at 1024 x 768 ( 0x AA, 16x AF) with everything highest and it worked well for 5 - 7 minutes and then hangs up.

^^ i think u have to talk to them about changing with XFX its all depends upon the guys u purchased the stuff ...

FEAR beta demo is fine
1024*768, max,med texture (or shader whatever that is that goes red ,only one thing is at medium,rest all max)
shadow min
no soft shaodws

with the full game and patch it can easily go to 1024*768,max,no soft shadows

BF2-
1024*768,max,texture flterting-med,dynamic light-(one step lower than max)
still not very god play

Rahul said:
download the latest drivers 83.40 and try them ...... anyways if it stilll hanging give it for replacement ......

AFAIK, 83.40 is still in beta and 81.98 is still the latest official version.

plz correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanx for the replies. But just wanted to know if anyone has an experience exchanging their card for another like XFX and the approx price to pay. I bought this card in Sept 2005 from Lamington Road.

Nevertheless, Im downloading the 81.98 drivers and will try AOE again.

Nope , latest drivers do not work either ! Im going to LR on Thursday for some other work. What do I tell the dealer from where I bought it ? I dont know if this card will work fine on some other system.

Thanks to everybody who replied.

83.40 is creating some problem in most wanted there are some unwanted clouds on the road .... so i am back with 81.95

Thanks, downloading 81.85 now. Also just incase it does not work, what should I tell my dealer to exchange it for an XFX 6600 Gt.

Tell the retailer that you're not satisified with the card, as it's performance is lacking and it may be defective. You would like to return it for store credit. USe said credit to obtain SHINY NEW(er) CARD! ;)

Back