German coder soldier cleared for refusing to write Iraq software

<CENTER>
5b4f6826.jpg
</CENTER>

<font color="#009900">Techie keeps current rank.</font>

A German solider, working for his military's IT division, will be allowed to keep his rank and stay in the army after a court supported his right to refuse to develop software for possible use in the Iraq war.

When the soldier - who has not been named - refused to work on software intended for troops in Iraq because he felt the war was illegal, he was demoted from major to captain and attempts were made to kick him out of the military altogether.

However, the Federal Administrative Court in Leipzig ruled yesterday that his freedom of conscience was higher than the command of a superior.

The soldier had claimed his superior could not guarantee that the software he was developing would not be used in Iraq by German forces stationed in Kuwait, or German soldiers flying in AWACS surveillance airplanes or by US forces stationed in Germany.

The German government, under Chancellor Gerhard Schr"der, refused to commit armed forces to the US-led war in Iraq.

Source

I guess that he was wrong. Though I don't support Iraq war or any war for that matter(unless as the one of the last resort). Why did he join the military. He was hired to develop software designed for war or war related functions.

Germany is not part of the war against Iraq.... so how did he know when he joined the army that he was going to be asked to work for the Iraq war???

Yeah u join the military to fight and u may have to fight for causes that u dont believe in.
What next?
Indian call centre employee refuses to help fix an American sodier's laptop in Iraq becos he doesnt suppport the war??

All I can say is that the dude was lucky to keep his job. When you are in the Army you got to do certain things even if they are against your conscience...

Nice example there Whiplasher ;)

Back