PC Peripherals Getting back to the geek stuff after a 6 year stay abroad. Suggestions for Desktop

hoodibaba

Recruit
Hi All,

I am so glad to find a community like this. I am in Hyderabad and will go to CTC and get a new desktop. Most likely from Swetha Peripherals or Kopal as mentioned in the CTC price check thread.

Some background info so that you can suggest the desktop configuration changes and not to get sidetracked on other possible uses of a desktop.

I have a PS3 for gaming connected to a 55 inch Samung LED TV (Any gaming will be done on this). This is connected to a Onkyo 7.1 speaker set, so movies are again on this.

I have a Dell Vostro 1520 Laptop configured to have the required stuff on the move. It has 8 GB RAM, a Blu ray Drive, Intel Core 2 Duo T6670 2.2Ghz,2.2GHz

I need this desktop primarily to store, edit and show pictures (I am in to photography and will do a lot of picture editing on photoshop and very rarely some video editing stuff). I dont want to spend too much money. I just want to spend right and what is needed. An imac is good but too much of compatibility issues and its not easily hackable as a PC.

The base requirements I have in mind is :

Intel i5 - 750 2.66 Ghz Turbo Boost to 3.2GHz, 8MB Cache

8 GB RAM - (2GB x 4 or 4GB x 2) DDR2 based on cost GSkill/Corsair/OCZ

BenQ G2420 HD - 24 inch monitor./ Dell S2409W (Or any good monitor which can show colors correctly)

Nvidia GE Force 1GB 9600 GT - MSI

1 TB Seagate SATA Barracuda HDD

(I have a 1TB SATA Seagate Barracuda HDD which I got with me and about 5 ATA drives which need an enclosure to get the data out, so HDD is not an issue here.).

Can any one suggest the whole configuration with the cabinet/Power supply/Coolers/Fans etc with the above set at the minimal cost. I am willing to spend a little more on the monitor and cut cost on others except RAM.

Thanks in advance.

Questions

1. Q: What is your budget?

1. 50K

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

Dont have one.

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

None

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

1. CPU - Intel i5 750

2. Motherboard - any compatible motherboard

3. GPU -Any compatible GPU which can support good resolution on a 24 inch

4. RAM - 8 GB of the compatible type

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

1. Final Configuration till some thing blows up.

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

1. Hyderabad - CTC

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

1. No

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

1. Image processing/Minor video editing/rendering

2. Download rig, 24x7 operation

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

No Preference

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

No Games.

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

1. Desktop - 1440x900

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

1. No

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

1. Windows 7 64 bit

2. Linux - Red Hat

3. Mac OS X (Possible hack at a later date)

Re: Getting back to the geek stuff after a 6 year stay abroad. Suggestions for Deskto

Budget?

i5 platform does not support DDR2. Since your requirements are not demanding, your idea to get memory based on cost/warranty seems right.

Most people find ATi' IQ superior to nvidia, you may wanna reconsider.

Hyd resellers dont stock any decent cabinets except a few Cooler Master ones, pick one that fits your budget.

As for power supply, Corsair vx550 should suffice and have sufficient headroom for a bunch of fans, hard drives and a GPU.

You wont need any cooler unless you plan to overclock, which is unnecessary given the nature of your requirement and the stock processing power.

Re: Getting back to the geek stuff after a 6 year stay abroad. Suggestions for Deskto

CPU: i5-750 - 9.9k

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 - 6.2k

RAM: GSkill 2 x 2GB DDR3 CL9D-4GBNQ 1333MHz - 5.7k

PSU: Corsair VX450 - 3.9k

GPU: ATI HD5670-6k

Cabby: NZXT Gamma - 2.1k

Monitor: Dell S2409W-12.6k

Total ~ 46.4k

I think for now 4 GB RAM is enough and no need for 8 GB. For GPU go for 5670, its more future proof compared to 9600GT. Power supply could be VX450 and rest of the config as per you mentioned.

The Sorcerer said:

Questions

1. Q: What is your budget?

1. 50K

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

Dont have one.

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

None

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

1. CPU - Intel i5 750

2. Motherboard - any compatible motherboard

3. GPU -Any compatible GPU which can support good resolution on a 24 inch

4. RAM - 8 GB of the compatible type

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

1. Final Configuration till some thing blows up.

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

1. Hyderabad - CTC

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

1. No

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

1. Image processing/Minor video editing/rendering

2. Download rig, 24x7 operation

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

No Preference

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

No Games.

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

1. Desktop - 1440x900

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

1. No

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

1. Windows 7 64 bit

2. Linux - Red Hat

3. Mac OS X (Possible hack at a later date)

Thanks Saqib_khan, Damn, summit05, the_sorcerer for your responses.

@OP: Please edit your first post according to the template so that it will be easy for others to give a config. And IMO, you don't even need an i5 for your needs. X4 620 or 630 will just do and be far cheaper.

Back