Camera Getting D90 | which lens to buy

Hi guys,

I am planning to buy D90 with following options:

# D90 with kit 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX Nikkor Zoom Lens at $940
# Prime lens AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D - $140

What do you guys think about the kit lens or I should dump the kit lens and get something else... like a Sigma 50-200mm Zoom lens.

-Shailesh

Options are sound. :)

And please do not substitute the kit lens with a crappy lens like the Sigma 50-200mm lens. Sigma has a few excellent lenses but they make tons of crap lenses as well.

Instead you can consider the Nikon 55-300mm VR lens once the price comes down in a few months. :)

The kit lens is very good, a 50mm or 35 mm prime would complement the set up well. Just cant get the creamy bokeh of the latter with the kit lens.

As for tele, do a rethink if you really need it. If so, save up to get a good one.

The kit Nikon 18-105 VR lens is a very good lens for price. I would have suggested 18-200 VR, but I would say that for the start your range will be covered effectively with 18-105 VR. 50mm f/1.8 is a great lens for portraits so no second word for that. In future you can go for 55-300 VR when you're craving the need with longer zooms. These three lenses should cover your photography needs nicely. 18-105mm as travel, day-to-day lens, 50mm as portrait lens and 55-300 as wild-life, zoom lens.

Back