getting phones from the usa

domeshm

Disciple
hi..
thot id share what ive learned in the last few days.. and also maybe get corrected if im wrong botu anything..

customs duty on phones are 1.3 % ...
phones have to be new and with invoice in the packaging ..
if second hand phone you can be charged a fine and penalty
most phones are above 10k easily assesable by the customs so no point of showing gift as 1 something percent is negligible in terms of total amount to be paid as customs

now my only query is ..
should i use fedex to have it sent as i already have the phone with a friend in the states or should i have him send it through as service like aramex .
main thing is they shouldnt come up with some stupid excuse to charge higher customs and i hear a lot of problems happen when usps is used and india post is involved for the last part of the shipping.. fedex seems to have a bad reputation too ??

advice would be much appreicated.. want to ship within the nxt coupla days
best regards

friend has an account with fedex.. he said the slowest option is coming to 15 dollars... figure thats not so bad is it :)

also now i have some accessories.. a microsd card, a coupla phone covers and an extra battery .. all included in the original price of the phone bought from ebay .. any ideas how to declare those ? can i show the accessories as a gift or its just part of the phone purchase price..

customs makes everything so damn confusing :/

$15 is good, though question is how slow is the slowest one. If the accessories are included in the price of the phone, you don't need a separate invoice, just show the original invoice and it should be fine.

aah ok .. friend shipped the phone.. fedex.. there was no 15 dollar option.. that was for documents.. friend was confused..

actual price charged was 60 dollars for a 2 pound box.. international express.. delivery date was given for 1 week post shipping.. anywyas if anyone has experience with this .. this is what fedex shows now

Date/Time

Activity

Details

Dec 23, 2011 8:36 PM

International shipment release

NEW DELHI IN

Dec 23, 2011 6:07 PM

In transit

NEW DELHI IN

Package available for clearance

Dec 23, 2011 4:33 PM

At destination sort facility

NEW DELHI IN

Dec 23, 2011 4:19 AM

Departed FedEx location

PARIS FR

Dec 23, 2011 3:24 AM

In transit

PARIS FR

Dec 22, 2011 10:03 PM

Departed FedEx location

PARIS FR

Dec 22, 2011 8:47 PM

In transit

PARIS FR

Dec 22, 2011 6:38 PM

Arrived at FedEx location

PARIS FR

Dec 22, 2011 5:40 AM

In transit

INDIANAPOLIS, IN

Dec 22, 2011 2:42 AM

Departed FedEx location

INDIANAPOLIS, IN

Dec 22, 2011 1:44 AM

Arrived at FedEx location

INDIANAPOLIS, IN

Dec 21, 2011 10:05 PM

Left FedEx origin facility

COLUMBUS, OH

Dec 21, 2011 2:28 PM

Picked up

COLUMBUS, OH

Tendered at FedEx Office

anyone know what International shipment release means ??? has it cleared customs or has it just gone for customs ??? :)

i hope so .. in two hours ? im quite surprised.. i hope it doesnt mean its been released to coustoms.. anyone have expeirence with fedex ? when thsi shows .. how long it takes to get the delivery after that ?

anyways it was a phone .. and i put in the invoice .. at 2 % it makes sense to pay full customs :) and not waste time ...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

anyways..

total customs charged was 800 on a declared value of 340 dollars.. this includes the customs clearing fee that fedex takes too.. however they had it cleared in 2 hours .. so i guess worth it :) now i only hope octroi doesnt screw me further :)

phones getting exensive... 350 plus 60 shippin plus 20 ...phones already over 410 dollars... at current rates thts like 22k anywys .. plus whatever octroi charges me :/

Back