OC & Modding Gigabyte P67A-UD7 + Intel 2600K + MSI GTX580 Living Review - Work in Progress

thebanik

Skilled
Finally 2600K has landed in Indian shores. Ofcourse officially it still wont be available through Intel till 1st/2nd Week of February, and for now its only available through SMC International.

Thanks to Gigabyte already had a P67A-UD7 board as a review sample. So here I would be going ahead and looking into the board into detail, with BIOS screenshot and settings, alongwith overclocking the hell out of the i7 2600K on air with V6GT, thanks to CoolerMaster. Initial impression is that its almost equal to/better than Thermalright Venomous X, which is hell of an achievement considering CoolerMaster's previous attempts at making high-end heatsinks. Also I have been told that its going to priced very low now at only Rs. 4250 from SMC which is hell of an attractive price IMO.

SYSTEM SPECS

CPU - Intel i7 2600K

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD7

Ram - Kingston Hyper X 2000Mhz CL7

CPU Cooler - CoolerMaster V6GT

Graphic Card - MSI GTX580

For now though only a few regular pictures of the Motherboard and the CPU.

Gigabyte P67A-UD7 Box, with its Black front/back and Golden side certainly looks great and is a big departure from earlier Blue scheme that Gigabyte had.

p1190026r.jpg

Back side of the Box which details all of the features of the motherboard.

p1190027r.jpg

Internal Box which keeps the motherboard safe, even if the outer box gets damaged during shipping.

p1190028r.jpg

And finally the board in full glory. The all black board is certainly one of the most attractive motherboard that I have seen from any manufacturer. Also would go nicely with all those black internal cabinets. The Black and Golden heatsink also adds another dimension to the looks.

p1190029r.jpg

Ofcourse to be honest my pathetic photography skills cannot do justice to this board which looks much better in flesh.

p1190035r.jpg

Feast on a few more pictures while I brush up my photography,

p1190037r.jpg

p1190039r.jpg

p1190042r.jpg

p1190043r.jpg

Finally we arrive at 2600K. Very small package, Intel is saving up on money it seems, I doubt the heatsink can handle even stock load temp, :)

p1240019r.jpg

And we have bootup. No point in booting up on stock clocks, :p. So booted straight up at 4Ghz. Had to leave for office, so all I was able to do is 5 minutes of testing. Will be doing much more testing and overclocking in the coming few days and will be posting results in this thread.

2600kbasic.jpg

Do let me know if you want me to run any specific tests, other than my standard, superpi, wprime, pifast, PCMark 05/Vantage, 3dMark01/03/05/06/11, Vantage, Cinebench and Unigine Heaven

BIOS & OVERCLOCKING

Coming back to the board and overclocking on it, lets have a look at the BIOS first, wont be showing anything apart from the MIT (MB Intelligent Tweaker) section, since Gigabyte is still using Award Bios which most of us would be comfortable in navigating, though Gigabyte has confirmed a hybrid UEFI BIOS for this as well all other P/H67, x58, P/H55, P45 etc. Gigabyte boards. Though using mouse in the hybrid UEFI board would not be possible but as per Gigabyte using a hybrid BIOS would mean we would have the maturity of Award BIOS and special features of UEFI.

p1260037r.jpg

MIT Current Status screen which shows current status of the components like CPU and Ram

p1260038r.jpg

Advanced Frequency Settings Screen is one of the most important screen in the BIOS, this is where we can configure the multiplier and the Bclk.

To change Multiplier, set CPU Clock Ratio.

To change base clock change setting BCLK/DMI/PEG Clock Control to Enable and BCLK/DMI/PEG Frequency to whatever your CPU can boot up with.

***Overclocking may damage your computer, you need to ensure that you have proper Cooling on the CPU, still its never safe, perform the next step at your own risk***

p1260041r.jpg

Advance CPU Core Features Page where we can select the number of active cores, disable/enable HT, and disable/enable CPU features like CIE, C3/C6 State, Thermal Monitor, EIST etc.

This is also the page which brings us a new type of overclocking, purely based on Power Limit of the CPU in Watts/Amps. And though not as efficient as the tried and tested method of Bclk/Multiplier overclocking but this method also works. All we need to do is enable Turbo Boost technology. Then set up Turbo Power Limit & Core Current Limit to something like 200 ,and then either you can leave everything else on Auto(you might also need to raise up your volts) or ofcourse set the max multipliers manually. **Overclocking may damage your computer, you need to ensure that you have proper Cooling on the CPU, still its never safe, perform the next step at your own risk***

p1260042r.jpg

Lets move onto the next BIOS screen Advanced Memory Settings

p1260045r.jpg

Now we move onto the one of the most important screen in the BIOS, that is Advanced Voltage Settings

Let me explain the most Important Settings on this screen, and what all you need to change for a successful overclock till around 4.6-5Ghz(and if you are lucky maybe more)

Load Line Calibration - Options are Standard/Level1/Level2. What this settings does is it controls VDroop (Vdroop is when your CPU voltage goes lower in Operating System than the set value in BIOS, this happens due to the stress), by changing this setting to Level 1 or Level 2, what your motherboard does is controls the vdroop and overvolts the CPU a bit so as not to cause Overclocking failure.

QPI/Vtt - Havent read the new architecture completely so this might have changed but this is for the IMC of the CPU, which helps when you are overclocking your memory or trying to make it stable. 1.1V - 1.20V is safe range up from 1.05V default volts and would allow you to even go for 2133Mhz if your Ram supports the speed.

System Agent Voltage - This is equivalent to Uncore Volts in x58 platform, and is the setting for voltage of everything which is not part of the main core of the CPU. Setting it to .975 volts, up from the default of 0.925 helps again in memory overclocking

PCH Core - Setting for Southbridge, and generally doesnt need to be meddled with. Default is 1.05V.

CPU PLL - This is what helps in multiplier overclocking, that is when you are raising multiplier above 46/47 and though an important setting but doesnt need to be bumped up much above 1.88-1.92V

DRam Voltage - Depends upon your memory stick. Safe range is between 1.5V-1.7V depending upon your memory.

p1260049r.jpg

Have been playing to get max clocks instead of running benchmarks on standard speed hence results would be posting later. Though results are pretty decent I would say. Post here if you need any help in overclocking these CPUs on Gigabyte motherboards, Have a pretty good understanding of Gigabyte settings and would certainly try and help.

Do a lynx test @ stock speed on stock HSF... so that ppl wud come to know how much hot does the new sandy bridge processors get on stock HSF... :)

Hades. said:
Do a lynx test @ stock speed on stock HSF... so that ppl wud come to know how much hot does the new sandy bridge processors get on stock HSF... :)
Some1 who uses Stock heatsink should not really buy a 2600K IMO, :p. Will post stock results, once I have run through all other tests.......

thebanik said:
Some1 who uses Stock heatsink should not really buy a 2600K IMO, :p. Will post stock results, once I have run through all other tests.......
PPl who wud buy locked i5 2500/i7 2600 for them this test wud really make sense... :)

stormblast said:
add cinebench to the test list

Okies will do that, I should make that a habit actually, :). Would also add Unigine Heavens
Hades. said:
PPl who wud buy locked i5 2500/i7 2600 for them this test wud really make sense... :)
Yeah it makes sense, though I know I was just exaggerating when I said it cannot handle stock load temps., :)

Thanks a lot Banik.

Any idea when Gigabyte will be launching their boards here?

What is the expected price of this as well as the UD5, UD4? Any clue?

Infected said:
Thanks a lot Banik.

Its been launched already, saw the UD7 in SMC yesterday when I went there to pick up the CPU. According to them 1 board that they have sold was for Rs. 19700 or so. Will check with Gigabyte about the suggested MRP on the above mentioned boards and post back.....

Thank you. They are still not listed on the site. :-(

Eagerly waiting for you OC it more. Hopefully close to 5Ghz....With 1.40ish Volts.

Thread Subscribed. :)

Infected said:
Thank you. They are still not listed on the site. :-(

Eagerly waiting for you OC it more. Hopefully close to 5Ghz....With 1.40ish Volts.

Thread Subscribed. :)
Had done a quick Superpi Stable boot @ 4.8Ghz 1.36V with memory @ 2133, CL8 1T in the morning. Will post SS and other benches once I reach home.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Infected said:
Thanks a lot Banik.

Please find the rate list of Gigabyte 6 Series mobos below :

gigarates.jpg

....no UD5 :-(

Aint they bringing it in too? for some 14,000/- odd it could be introduced.

...Sir have you pushed it past 5Ghz yet? M waiting for your results...? and more info on the setup.

...also can you post the batch number of the chip.

Good luck.

Bios & Overclocking section added, Benchmarks etc. coming next.

Infected said:
...Sir have you pushed it past 5Ghz yet? M waiting for your results...? and more info on the setup.

...also can you post the batch number of the chip.

Good luck.
Wont disclose that yet, :p, but if you see the BIOS screen you might be able to get an idea.

hellgate said:
Hmmm.... You have actually got me thinking bout dumping my i7 920 D0 and get a i7 2600K......

Lets see how it unfolds....

hehehehe, though there is a huge clock to clock improvement but I dont think there is any real need to upgrade from a i7 setup.

..Hey Banik..how is it going?

any further updates,

Can you please help me out with my config a bit. I ahve everything in place:

p67-UD4, 2600K,H70. I am only super confused about the RAM for SB for OC.

Since we are not really going to overclock the BCLK is there any point in getting

something like the "DOminator" or any thing else similar? How is the HyperX you are using I believe?

Isn't any 1600 DDR3 CL8/9 good enough, like before we are only oc'ing using the CPU xMulti. right?

only maybe about 2 %? which most rams will be able to take?

Your thoughts? I am confused between:

1. Corsair Dominator 1600CL8[4gb~RS7500/-]

2. Corsair XMS3 1600[4gb~2500]

3. Kingston HYperX 1600CL9 ....

Which ones? any suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks a lot.

Cheers...

Happy OC'ing

Infected said:
..Hey Banik..how is it going?

any further updates,

Can you please help me out with my config a bit. I ahve everything in place:

p67-UD4, 2600K,H70. I am only super confused about the RAM for SB for OC.

Since we are not really going to overclock the BCLK is there any point in getting

something like the "DOminator" or any thing else similar? How is the HyperX you are using I believe?

Isn't any 1600 DDR3 CL8/9 good enough, like before we are only oc'ing using the CPU xMulti. right?

only maybe about 2 %? which most rams will be able to take?

Your thoughts? I am confused between:

1. Corsair Dominator 1600CL8[4gb~RS7500/-]

2. Corsair XMS3 1600[4gb~2500]

3. Kingston HYperX 1600CL9 ....

Which ones? any suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks a lot.

Cheers...

Happy OC'ing
hmmm.....I have sort of forgotten about putting up normal benches of the board, lol....Still trying to get the max, but I guess that quest is over and I know the CPU Mhz Wall which cannot be overcome by Volts, Cooling or anything else at all.

As for Ram, though Overclocking the ram is over, but using a overclocking ram would mean, a 1600Mhz ram might be able to run on 1866 divider, or a 2000Mhz ram would mean it can run on 2133 divider. But if you wish you can even buy the cheaper ram, run them on 1333 divider and still be able to clock the CPU to max.

Infected said:
...How about posting some updates..? We eagerly await.

Pretty disappointed. My chip at best can do only a bit more than 5.2Ghz. And its a sad feeling knowing that even if I put it under LN2 or more volts, cant get any better clocks, :(.

Though I would be sharing results at 4.6Ghz and 5.0Ghz later, but for now, here are a couple of results I got during testing.

pifast.jpg

aquamark.jpg

Numbers on the internet seem to indicate the pretty much EVERY 2500k/2600k can hit 4.6G or above. The days of golden chips are gone, I guess?

stalker said:
Numbers on the internet seem to indicate the pretty much EVERY 2500k/2600k can hit 4.6G or above. The days of golden chips are gone, I guess?
Chips able to do 4.6G is not Golden chips at all with this generation because as you said every chip can do that, Chips being able to do 5.6-5.7Ghz are the Golden Chips with this generation.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

For people worried about Intel's recent announcement of Series 6 chipset bug affecting all Sandybridge motherboards, I had a word with Gigabyte India and here is their official statement.

GIGABYTE Technology India’s statement on the 6 Series chipset SATA port bug:

“GIGABYTE has always aimed to ‘Upgrade Your Life’ with the most innovative designs and impeccable quality and services. Our success can be attributed to our motherboards’ high-utility features, combined with our competitive pricing and distinguished support services, maximizing your (the customer’s) value for money. In line with this vision, we assure you of our fullest support in case you come across any GIGABYTE motherboard affected with the 6 Series SATA port bug. We assure you of a swap or replacement within the prescribed time frame of the revised motherboard availability, at your nearest GIGABYTE Service Center. As you must be aware, the chipset vendor has corrected the SATA port problem, and has already begun manufacturing an updated version of the support chip which they expect to deliver in late February 2011. Our advice to potential 6 Series motherboard buyers will be to keep their buying plans on hold till we announce the newer version of motherboards.â€

Back