Gmail shows no linked account

Hi,

I have given few apps, mainly email clients, access to my gmail account. I was just checking via a laptop to which apps I have given the access under security section, https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3466521?hl=en, but it shows nothing. You have no linked accounts. You can give Google access to data from your third-party sites and apps, like your playlists. Am I looking at the right place?

Thanks

I followed you link and bumped here for my a/c..
1615030735910.png

Linked accounts may only be those that are using Google oauth auto login feature.

Your email login thingy might be an app password which maybe is under another section like passwords or two factor authentication?

@vishalrao @calvin1719

Can you ELI5 in layman language what does that mean? From what I understood apps that does not require the password to be entered are shown there but others are not
I followed you link and bumped here for my a/c..
View attachment 101456
Can't even see outlook.
On desktop https://myaccount.google.com/u/1/permissions
I have 8 apps with permissions.
You haven’t given any apps or services permission to access your Google Account. Learn more

It's been a while since I've used any email clients, so I was bit surprised to learn they now support OAuth. OAuth basically allows you to share or delegate account access to third-parties, without sharing passwords with those third-parties. If your email clients use OAuth, they should show up in that section.

As to why they're not showing up, have you double-checked that you're checking the right account? Is it a personal Google account or Google Workspace account?

It's been a while since I've used any email clients, so I was bit surprised to learn they now support OAuth. OAuth basically allows you to share or delegate account access to third-parties, without sharing passwords with those third-parties. If your email clients use OAuth, they should show up in that section.

As to why they're not showing up, have you double-checked that you're checking the right account? Is it a personal Google account or Google Workspace account?
Yes have checked many times. Personal gmail account.

AFAIK, this depends on whether the third-party client uses the newer OAuth authentication, or the older TFA + app password mechanism.

If your client uses the older method, you'll only find it listed under the "App passwords" section. At least, this is how it has worked for me with Gmail.

AFAIK, this depends on whether the third-party client uses the newer OAuth authentication, or the older TFA + app password mechanism.

If your client uses the older method, you'll only find it listed under the "App passwords" section. At least, this is how it has worked for me with Gmail.
So, my understanding that apps that does not require the password to be entered are shown there but others are not is correct?

So, my understanding that apps that does not require the password to be entered are shown there but others are not is correct?
It really depends on the authentication method that the third-party app uses. Google supports OAuth authentication as well as authentication using app-specific passwords (for which they require TFA to be enabled).

My understanding is that third-party apps that use the legacy app password + TFA method for authentication are only listed in the "App passwords" section (and not as apps with access to your Google account).

What email clients do you use? That may give us a better clue as to what form of authentication they use.

It really depends on the authentication method that the third-party app uses. Google supports OAuth authentication as well as authentication using app-specific passwords (for which they require TFA to be enabled).

My understanding is that third-party apps that use the legacy app password + TFA method for authentication are only listed in the "App passwords" section (and not as apps with access to your Google account).

What email clients do you use? That may give us a better clue as to what form of authentication they use.
Thanks. What's the meaning of OAuth and TFA? Is what I am thinking correct, apps that does not require the password to be entered are shown there but others are not is correct?

I use a couple of them, Outlook, Bluemail, Litemail etc. I use them for different Gmail accounts. Have checked in all but nothing.

Thanks. What's the meaning of OAuth and TFA? Is what I am thinking correct, apps that does not require the password to be entered are shown there but others are not is correct?

I use a couple of them, Outlook, Bluemail, Litemail etc. I use them for different Gmail accounts. Have checked in all but nothing.
Afraid I'm oversimplifying, but here goes:

OAuth - An authentication mechanism where the app authenticates itself to a service (Google, in this case) using access tokens. You typically "permit" access to the app during the intial setup and don't need to use your regular password at all. Likewise, you may "revoke" access to the app from the service. More here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OAuth

TFA (Two-factor authentication) - Where you typically use the password (an app-specific password, in case of Google) *and* a secondary means of authentication (via a authenticator app, or OTP sent to your phone, etc.). Google considers this a legacy method (OAuth is their preferred method, for obvious reasons) and requires that you have TFA enabled, in order to use app-specific passwords, to authenticate.

So, if you do not use passwords in your apps to authenticate, you almost certainly are using OAuth authentication. Which means, you won't have needed to use app-specific passwords and will find this section empty.

I know for certain that Outlook supports OAuth, and just verified that Bluemail does too. Which means you should find your apps listed in your Google account settings -> Security (https://myaccount.google.com/security?gar=1) or more specifically, here (https://myaccount.google.com/permissions?gar=1). I would think there's certainly something wrong, if you use OAuth and still don't find your apps here, since this is the primary means of revoking access.

Back